Drinking Water During Workouts

Options

The Advantage of Watered Down Exercising
-- By Zach Van Hart, Staff Writer

Welcome to Sweating 101. Question #1 - During one hour of vigorous exercise, how much does the average person sweat?
A. One tablespoon
B. One cup
C. One pint
D. One quart
Okay, pencils down. For all of those who answered D., congrats! To everyone else, better luck next time.

That's right - one quart! As you can see, exercise saps a lot of water from our bodies. That's why it's very important to drink even more water while exercising. However, drinking water before and after exercise is just as important.

Start paying attention to your fluid intake 2-3 hours before you are going to exercise. Drink 2-3 cups of water during that time, and then drink another cup immediately before you start exercising.

Without this extra water, your muscles will become dehydrated. Muscle movement depends on how hydrated you are, so if they are dry, they will not work as well. As a result, your workout will not be as productive as you would like.

Once you start exercising, keep drinking water frequently. A good rule of thumb is to drink one cup every 15-20 minutes. Keep a water bottle with you. Take breaks to head to the water cooler. Do what it takes you keep yourself hydrated.

Even when you are done exercising, you need to keep replenishing your fluid levels. It's recommended you drink another 2-3 cups within two hours after you have finished. Then drink water regularly afterwards.

The more you drink before, during, and after exercise, the more productive your workout will be. Do your body a favor and replenish that quart of fluids your body is losing while you work out. Your muscles will thank you later.

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Welcome to Sweating 101. Question #1 - During one hour of vigorous exercise, how much does the average person sweat?
    A. One tablespoon
    B. One cup
    C. One pint
    D. One quart
    Okay, pencils down. For all of those who answered D., congrats! To everyone else, better luck next time.

That's right - one quart! As you can see, exercise saps a lot of water from our bodies. That's why it's very important to drink even more water while exercising. However, drinking water before and after exercise is just as important.

Start paying attention to your fluid intake 2-3 hours before you are going to exercise. Drink 2-3 cups of water during that time, and then drink another cup immediately before you start exercising.

Without this extra water, your muscles will become dehydrated. Muscle movement depends on how hydrated you are, so if they are dry, they will not work as well. As a result, your workout will not be as productive as you would like.

Once you start exercising, keep drinking water frequently. A good rule of thumb is to drink one cup every 15-20 minutes. Keep a water bottle with you. Take breaks to head to the water cooler. Do what it takes you keep yourself hydrated.

Even when you are done exercising, you need to keep replenishing your fluid levels. It's recommended you drink another 2-3 cups within two hours after you have finished. Then drink water regularly afterwards.

The more you drink before, during, and after exercise, the more productive your workout will be. Do your body a favor and replenish that quart of fluids your body is losing while you work out. Your muscles will thank you later.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

A. One tablespoon
    B. One cup
    C. One pint
    D. One quart

Hey-- this is good to know. Historically, I don't sweat-- I just turn purple. It's rather alarming, actually.

We once played an hour of frisbee football on a 90 degree day, 95 percent humidity-- and I barely had a mist on me. But, I was positively fuchia. (a very lovely shade, though-- matched my shirt)

Need to get me some water--
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    FC, where do you get these great articles? And keep 'em coming. I like reading them.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this FC:drinker:

Marla-I imagine you look very nice in fuchia:wink::smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    FC, where do you get these great articles? And keep 'em coming. I like reading them.
    So glad you enjoy the various articles:flowerforyou: Oh I just find things here and there that are of great interest to me and I realize if it's something that benefits myself it's more than likely something that will be of interest on this site as well:heart::bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

:flowerforyou: You're most welcome Noni:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

A. One tablespoon
    B. One cup
    C. One pint
    D. One quart

Hey-- this is good to know. Historically, I don't sweat-- I just turn purple. It's rather alarming, actually.

We once played an hour of frisbee football on a 90 degree day, 95 percent humidity-- and I barely had a mist on me. But, I was positively fuchia. (a very lovely shade, though-- matched my shirt)

Yes, Yes Yes, please run don't walk to the water GirlFriend:flowerforyou: I think I've heard/read what you're describing as a person needing more hydration..... so :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: so I don't worry about you M'Dear Friend:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options

Why, yes, Noni-- thank you-- As a matter of fact it is one of my "signature colors" LOL Goes so nicely with my blonde hair. :wink:
  • Marla64
    Options

A. One tablespoon
    B. One cup
    C. One pint
    D. One quart

Yes, Yes Yes, please run don't walk to the water GirlFriend:flowerforyou: I think I've heard/read what you're describing as a person needing more hydration..... so :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: so I don't worry about you M'Dear Friend:flowerforyou:

I have three 20 ounce bottles lined up on my desk-- good start, eh? Must find a way to remember my aqua-- thanks for the tip and the concern.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Great article.
    This explains why I weight 1/2 to 1lb lighter after exercising and showering.
    :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Great article.
    This explains why I weight 1/2 to 1lb lighter after exercising and showering.
    :laugh:
    :laugh: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    I'm {slosh} on bottle number {slosh} four--

:bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Options

Make that {glug} five-- {glurgle-- }
  • Marla64
    Options

Make that {glug} five-- {glurgle-- }
    {{blurble}} Six-- six bottles-- {{blubbla blubbla blubbla}}
  • Marla64
    Options
    zthinking2.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    doing a lil bumpin as I found this article invalueable....hope it helps others as well:flowerforyou:
  • shellyws
    shellyws Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok.... I will ask the embarrassing question! :blushing:

What do you do if you jog/run outdoors and drink even 8 oz of water before exercise. I NEED :noway: a bathroom during my workout and I am no where near one. :embarassed:

What to do, What to do???

Thanks!
  • Marla64
    Options

What do you do if you jog/run outdoors and drink even 8 oz of water before exercise. I NEED :noway: a bathroom during my workout and I am no where near one. :embarassed:

Thanks!

Wear a diaper-- seriously. Pre-menstrually, I have NO control and have had to seriously protect myself when I run--
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Thanks!

ah I say...you do what ya gotta do...nope not so easy for us girls:grumble: :bigsmile:

If you running on a path and there's some bit of privacy...well.......... now if you're running on the road.....I say maybe take a detour to a more scenic route.... I wouldn't recommend this on neighborhood street...

ok, so let's take the guess work out of this........... what types of areas are you running in?:drinker:
  • bhdb
    bhdb Posts: 17
    Options

That's a really good point! It explains why I personally find it easier to exercise later during the day than in the morning.. Or at least it gives me something to blame when I don't do so well in the morning - dehydration. Thanks for sharing the article! :flowerforyou: