insomnia

borjanap
borjanap Posts: 232 Member
For the past 3 weeks I have not been able to sleep well. I have tried going to bed earlier and I am very tired, but I just end up lying there. Any suggestions?

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    For the past 3 weeks I have not been able to sleep well. I have tried going to bed earlier and I am very tired, but I just end up lying there. Any suggestions?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Are you stressed about something?
    Do you do a lot of "busy mind" work before bed (ex: online, homework, etc)?
  • bhdb
    bhdb Posts: 17
    I have the same problem..and I know that it's at least partially because I'm not eating quite enough. :ohwell: Hunger keeps me awake.. Needed to change my diet a bit to get rid of that problem. :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Welcome to the club, sister. All the women in my family have insomnia at some level. Try having a little bit of protein, like a small glass of milk, about 1/2 hour before bed. Don't exercise too late at night. A warm bath right before bed sometimes help me relax, too. Don't watch tv in bed. The light from it can screw with your brain & tell you that it isn't time to sleep. White noise helps some people (like turning on a radio station that is full of static at a low volume)...this one just annoys me, though. I hope you can get back to a good nights sleep very soon!
  • I have had insomnia for years. Gets especially bad around TOM for some reason. Anyway, I recently tried Melatonin supplements and they worked wonders. You can buy them wherever you buy your vitamins and other supplements. Melatonin is the natural chemical your brain produces to regulate your sleep. Melatonin is not a tranquilizer...it won't MAKE you sleep like a drug.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Duh. I forgot to add that. My 3yo actually takes that on dr. orders. Works great for my mom, too!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    I have had insomnia for years. Gets especially bad around TOM for some reason. Anyway, I recently tried Melatonin supplements and they worked wonders. You can buy them wherever you buy your vitamins and other supplements. Melatonin is the natural chemical your brain produces to regulate your sleep. Melatonin is not a tranquilizer...it won't MAKE you sleep like a drug.

Just a note to Melatonin.....one of the side effects are headaches...I tried it once bacause I was having problems sleeping too...For those that it doesn't have side effects on, I've heard that it works wonders.
  • You can take Melatonin. it is produce naturally in your brain. When your brain does not produce enough of it, that is when you have trouble sleeping or getting to sleep and staying asleep. Some people cannot take what the recommened dose is on the bottle because of the side effect of having a headache when they wake up. But I have found that I can cut the pill in half and use it every other day and it works great. I no longer have trouble getting to sleep, and I no longer get up in the middle of the night anymore.

The reason why some people get headaches when using Melatonin is they have to much of it in the body after taking the recommened dose. Also if you are thinking about taking Melatonin you should be aware that you should sleep atleast 8 hours or more or you can feel like you are in a fog for quite awhile if you don't
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member

So glad you asked, I didn't know anything about Melatonin. I'll have to check into it more for my husband. He takes Unisom on a nightly basis. (not good!)
This discussion has been closed.