Gas Prices!

Options
So yesterday in Northern Indiana gas hit $4.17/gallon! I think I will have to start riding my bike to work, it's like 6 miles. I guess that would guarantee I get my exercise in. What are you going to do to try to offset gas prices in your area?

Replies

• fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You havent seen the prices in England - about £1.40 per litre ($2.30724 USD) - its ridiculous - we get taxed SO much on gas!

Great excuse for biking though!
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    If I didn't work 33 miles away from home I would totally think about it!
  • terryhuff
    terryhuff Posts: 15
    Options
    if i didnt have to take my son to day care i would ride my bike to work. i work about 4 or 4.5 miles away from where i live
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, went home at lunch and rode my bike back to work.... but I was sweating and gross by the time I got to work, didn't like that.
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You havent seen the prices in England - about £1.40 per litre ($2.30724 USD) - its ridiculous - we get taxed SO much on gas!

That's exactly what I keep saying to people - think yourselves lucky you don't live in the UK!!!

But yes agreed definetely a good idea to b ike if you can. Shame i can't working about 25 miles from work, I would never make it lol plus would have to leave at some really ridiculous hour in the morning ;0)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I get a lift with my husband in a van, but a bike at the back and cycle back from work. 16.5 miles. Only do it in good weather though... If I drive it costs me a quarter of my wages!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

JEALOUS!!!!! I can't remember the last time.

It wsa 4.05 on the way to work yesterday morning, and all the other gas stations were 4.11, on the way home last night our town had gas for 4.03 and everyone else rocketed up to 4.29, so I made hubby stop and called the family to tell them to go fill... sure enough this morning our gas station was 4.29!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

It wsa 4.05 on the way to work yesterday morning, and all the other gas stations were 4.11, on the way home last night our town had gas for 4.03 and everyone else rocketed up to 4.29, so I made hubby stop and called the family to tell them to go fill... sure enough this morning our gas station was 4.29!

Thats nothing to be jealous of

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

So they are paying $8.74 a GALLON
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wish I could bike to work. It is 15 miles of mostly country roads (so too far to do regularly), but cars regularly drive 60+ along much of the road, and there isn't enough room on the side. I would probably be hit and/or killed if I did it for very long.

On the plus side, we really don't go anywhere except to work these days. We have lots to entertain ourselves at home, and we tend to do all our errands and such at one time. So we have always been minimizing our gas consumption - not much we can do to use less than we are now.
  • RosalieCrain
    Options
    Thats a lot! For those of you that don't know 1 gallon is equal to 3.8 liters ... so roughly UK pays $8.75 ... we actually got it cheap here!
  • ebadams86
    Options

OMG... that would be over $8 a gallon (for us in the US). For almost $90 for 1 tank of gas, I wouldn't be able to afford to drive my little car, and I get over 35mpg!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I just drive as little as possible. It's only about 3-4 miles to work. I've thought about getting a bike and riding to work a couple days a week. I figured within a couple months I will have paid for the bicycle.

I spend 50 bucks every 2 weeks driving to work and then swinging by the gym. So thats almost 5 dollars a day (don't really drive on weekends.)
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    I would love to bike to work, but my round trip is 150 miles....YES 150. And I drive an SUV. It is almost cheaper for me to stay at a hotel rather than come home on the days I work (I work three 12's).

I am literally sick about the cost. I have to put aside so much for gas, then groceries to feed a large family, it's almost not even worth my time to work anymore. This economy stinks.
  • appleshells
    Options
    Thats a lot! For those of you that don't know 1 gallon is equal to 3.8 liters ... so roughly UK pays $8.75 ... we actually got it cheap here!

I just put $80 in my tank Sunday. I have to fill up at least 2-3 times a week.
  • mavila1978
    Options
    Biking to work is not an option since my commute is over 40 miles each way. Working from home might be an option if gas gets to be over $4 or so here in my part of Texas, right now it's between $3.69 and $3.89 a gallon. I am doing things like cutting out trips to see my mother or my grandparents, and only going out to the gym. I have a pretty fuel-efficient vehicle that gets about 31 miles per gallon, but I am definitely noticing the squeeze.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

Thats nothing to be jealous of

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

So they are paying $8.74 a GALLON

LOL! Boy I'm a dummy, i missed the "liters" part... Way to early for me
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend did some maths last week (we are in the uk) after seeing petrol prices rise 3 times in one week, in that one week his annual fuel bill rose by £240 pounds.
  • appleshells
    Options
    Biking to work is not an option since my commute is over 40 miles each way. Working from home might be an option if gas gets to be over $4 or so here in my part of Texas, right now it's between $3.69 and $3.89 a gallon. I am doing things like cutting out trips to see my mother or my grandparents, and only going out to the gym. I have a pretty fuel-efficient vehicle that gets about 31 miles per gallon, but I am definitely noticing the squeeze.

Isn't it sad that we have to cut out things like going to see our families? I haven't gone to see my parents because of gas prices either!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    There isn't much I can do. I can't really drive less, slower maybe but thats about it. I could always buy a car with higher mileage, but I can buy a lot of gas for what that would cost.

A friend and I have been toying with the idea of an electric conversion.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My commute is only 2 miles but some prtetty wicked traffic and hills. I fill up my Prius about once every three weeks depending on how many "side trip" I do for errands, fun and visiting my mom.