Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    GNC carries the accumeasure calipers.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Online or in stores? I'll check the mall when I go up to my school to see if they have calipers.
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    bump
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post! Can it be bookmarked somehow (on clipboard)???

THANKS!

PS. I really think this is my issue.... not eating enough...therefore, not really moving the scale either.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    GNC was out of stock, so hopefully they will have them on Thursday when I see my main doctor. If everything goes as planned, I'll start the challenge that day or sometime next week.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    if you think that oscarboy then try upping it for a 2 week period by a few hundred, if your goal is set to a 1 pound a week loss then a few hundred will set you to a 1/2 pound a week loss rather than 1, at least then you are still in that losing range and eat back all the calories from exercise. Worst case scenario you have lost 2 weeks which can easily be caught up on.
  • mrs_mouse
    mrs_mouse Posts: 24
    Options
    it should be pointed out that while you will likely lose weight while on a restricted diet and working out like crazy, there's a medical term for that kind of "diet"...

It's called Bulimia.

Purging more calories than you eat is unhealthy, whether you do it by throwing up or by working out. You will lose weight, but you will also lose organ function, hair, energy, etc etc etc if you do it for an extended period. Trust me, I've seen someone go through it.

A healthy lifestyle should be sustainable and... well... healthy! Fat loss is a bonus. :)
  • mrs_mouse
    Options
    oh, and no amount of "willpower" will help you if you pass out during your workout... lol...
  • ACCSanchez
    Options
    ha You got that right!

Thanks for pointing out about that & bulimia, mrs_mouse!
    Sorry, I was trying to reply directly to mrs_mouse's post, but I'm new here, so I guess I was supposed to click quote.

Anyway, thanks for explaining this Newfiedan! I need to get to exercising more b/c I laugh about not being able to eat 1200 calories. I am consistently over and trying to just eat 1200 calories without exercising makes me feel like I am starving. So I WISH I had that problem. I would never survive on a VLCD. Anyway, your post shows me that I can still eat (healthily) & that it's okay to eat back my calories and that I can eat more if I exercise more since the deficit is already built into MFP.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    You can't be obese and bulimic or anorexic.

It's EDNOS.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    this piece was perhaps one of the single most motivating ones I have seen on here for proper caloric intake and a must read of those whom are having trouble wrapping their heads around eating more to shed weight. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

@accsanchez, is the 1200 a day what mfp recommended for you or one that you chose by design with a high goal of say 2 lb.wk loss?
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    You must love to read a lot of blahblahblah.

All I can say is, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!" ;P
  • mrs_mouse
    Options

It's EDNOS.

I don't know what "EDNOS" means.... but the above comment that you can't be obese and bulimic/anorexic is absolutely untrue. It is actually quite common to have Bulimia and still be overweight. Bulimia and/or Anoriexia is the disease/mindset, not the end result.

I'm not trying to be accusatory or difficult, and it's none of my business if you choose to try out the idea of restricting calories and working out without eating the difference... I just don't want anyone who hasn't done their own research reading this thread and thinking "hey, great idea!" without understanding the risks.

Working out more and eating less is the basic math of losing weight, but there is a healthy way to do it (making sure you choose healthy food and eating enough calories to keep your metabolism chugging along efficiently), and an unhealthy way (eating as little as possible and pushing your body far past its limits until your organs shut down, your hair starts falling out, and you have to be hospitalized in order to a) get your body functioning again, and b) get your self-image back to a place where you are OK with a healthy weight and amount of food). I have literally SEEN this happen. It is horrible.

The other aspect to consider, is what will happen when you have reached your goal weight and want to start maintaining? How do you go back to eating a reasonable amount of food without your body packing the weight back on?? It's all well and good to jump start your weight loss by shaking things up for a week or two, but long term deprivation is a problem.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    It's Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

And since you don't even know what it is, you obviously don't know who it applies to.

If I were Bulimic, I would have be diagnosed with it a long time ago. kthx.

You've seen one thing, I've seen another. You cannot tell me that I'm wrong based on what you've only seen, so don't even try.

Maintaining is as easy is SLOWLY increasing your calories for a few weeks and keeping a simple exercise program. It's not rocket science.
  • mrs_mouse
    Options
    I'm not saying you're bulimic... I've never met you, and I'm not a doctor, and I don't mean to offend. Sorry if it came across that way.

As I said, just felt like on a thread that will likely continue to be bumped as advice for beginners, that it should be mentioned that you have to be careful with any kind of extreme methods. No way is right for everyone, and if something works for you, by all means go for it, but you can't advise others who have found their own methods that they're doing it wrong any more than they can advise you that you are.

Keep talking to your doctor, and make a plan that works for you, and treat your body well... that's all.... I wish you luck! :)
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    Okay, because I was talking about myself, not people in general.

I'm not going to tell someone it's okay to go on a VLCD. I'd tell them to talk to their doctor about it to see if that's a reasonable option.

Thanks.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options

It's EDNOS.

actually you are partially wrong there.... You can not be obese and be anorexic, HOWEVER it is rather typical for people with bulimia to be overweight.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    No, it's typical for people who are bulimic to have previously been overweight.
    If they are overweight and suffer from purging episodes, they are EDNOS because their actions supposedly aren't a weight-related threat.

If I purge, why am I diagnosed as EDNOS and not bulimic?
  • cuz86
    cuz86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @SpaceCoconaut

just wanna let you know i did extreme dieting last year...lost a hugeeeee amount of weight ....and gained it all back in 4 months...no i didnt eat crap after i lost the weight i ate "normal" food for a regular person but i had ruined my metabolism soo bad that my body couldn't handle anything. You will lose weight but it will take a serious toll on your body on the inside parts that you dont see....i would really advise against this
  • wildside79
    Options
    Can we sticky the first post of this thread and get rid of the rest of the bullst!t? When I first started I read through the newbie stuff and went online to independently research as well, but something simple like the first post would have allowed me to wrap my brain around it a bit quicker before digging more.

And as for this experiment.... what’s next, someone testing the crack cocaine or meth diet? The program this site was built around works... just watch the success forums. I'm not saying everyone has to follow it to the letter, and yes, something may work better for others, but arguing against it as a means to justify your poor or medically recommended dietary choices only helps to confuse people that just join. And if you think you're so different, get a doctor or dietitian to tell you that and give you a more personal recommendation.

As such, I cringe every time I see another "should I eat my exercise calories" post come up under recent forum topics.

So, rant over, great OP, maybe put something like it when people sign up?