Things I wish I knew when I started running.

Options
Suedre
Suedre Posts: 435 Member
Today marks exactly one year since I started running in a group training course that used a modified C25K. Let me just tell you, it was kind of a disaster. I think the only thing that I’m proud of in those 10 weeks is that I didn’t quit when over half the group did. I stuck around even though I was one of the few left that was more than 50 pounds overweight. I didn’t let it stop me when I couldn’t keep up with everyone else and ended up getting lapped or having to loop back into the group on their way back. I suffered through the embarrassment of showing my cards with my bright red face, sweat everywhere, and generally defeated body language. I didn’t even cry when I could only run the first mile of the 5K I trained so hard far and finished just under 45 minutes. Give all that frustration, disappointment, embarrassment and general anger with my ability, I didn’t stop training. I just picked another race 10 weeks out and kept running.

Now, I run three times a week. A 5K is minimum distance. I’ve hit two 10Ks, I have my first half marathon coming in three months and my first full at Walt Disney World in January. I am by far a novice runner. I’m still learning new things about the activity and myself with each step; however, as I sit here and think back, there are several things I wish I knew when I got started and didn’t have to learn with bared teeth and sheer determination. I was so close to giving up so many times that I thought I would share some of my little tidbits in hopes of helping someone get through a rough patch. The joy of running is really worth it.

(DISCLAIMER: Everything is based on my personal experience and may not relate to you, your cousin, or the guy that lives down the street. Take it for what it is. If it doesn’t apply to your journey or specific medical needs, ignore me.)

It takes a long time. Expecting to wake up and be a runner is unrealistic. I really thought I was just going to tell my body to run and it would to it. Just because the program is 10 weeks and works for many, doesn’t mean that is all MY body needed. Pay attention to what to what your bod is telling you and modify if need be. I repeated weeks, did extra slow jog/walk, did runs with no pressure (run until your tired, walk until you feel like running – no timers), and once I could comfortably run a mile I ditched the intervals for just go as far as I can and walk, then go a bit further the next time out.

Similarly, over-doing it by increasing distance or speed too quickly can lead to injury. I’ve been very fortunate in that I have not had many common running injuries, but I’ve also been careful to never increase my mileage by more than 10% from week to week.

GO SLOW. Distance training and pace training are very different things. When I’m pace training I do short runs at higher paces or sprints. The intent is to work at my max. My breathing is labored and the steps are hard. When I’m distance training I find what I call my ‘all day pace’ which is one that feels like I could do for hours. My breathing is calm and even and I could talk or sing if I needed to. You may be surprised how slow this pace actually is. I say who cares, as long as I’m moving forward I’m doing it. Often, I will put my Garmin in my stuff pouch so I can’t see the time or pace and it keeps me from being stressed over it. (So you know, it turns out my pace does improve and what was impossible two months ago is the norm today)

I find something to think about. Yeah, sounds nuts, but the miles fly by when I’m planning an art project, thinking about a work problem, or planning weekend activities. As soon as I focus on my feet, knees, calves, chest, or whatever, each step becomes difficult and things start to hurt or feel uncomfortable.

There are bad runs. Sometimes I’m just not feeling it, the weather isn’t cooperating, I have other things I need to be working on, my body might just be tired. Those runs are the worst. Even now they can make me think I should quit this running crap. As hard as it is, I shake it off and try again. The good runs are completely worth it.

Get good shoes and replace them when they start to wear.

I change my route frequently so I don’t always know what’s coming.

Look for a local running club. It really can be a social thing, besides running clubs usually partner with local sports stores. Can you say free swag and discounts?

So new runners, I say don’t give up. Keep it strong and know that a year from today you could be in a much different place!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'll have to come back and read this later....
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i've been going to the gym for the last few months and been doing around 10 mins of jogging each session. but i wanna start the C25K thing. do you think i could start it from week 3 or 4 or should i just start right from week 1?
  • Kimmie54
    Kimmie54 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome... thanks for sharing... Hoping to start my running experience soon.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    nice piece, good read.

Good luck with your running

stu
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    How marvelously inspiring! I've been waiting to drop more weight before I try running but I'm only about 30 pounds above my goal now so I'm thinking, Why wait?
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO MUCH for posting this!!! Perfect timing for me!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm week 4 into my C25K and I need the motivation.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm week 4 into my C25K and I need the motivation.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    excellent advice all around.. i am 6 months in myself... doing at least 5 k now 3-5 times per week and loving it... Never ever ever did i think i would be a runner and it truelly is the hardest thing i have ever done and i am infinately proud of myself for sticking with it...thanks for sharing.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!! I'm just getting back to running, so it feels like the first time all over again. And I never did any races because I never made it very far due to some injuries. So know I am in great health and shape and a 5K is my goal!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Great post! I've been running for several years and a lot of this still applies. I love it when I'm on a long run and get lost in thought and realize I haven't felt or noticed the last how ever many miles:) Best of luck to you in your future races - sounds like you're in it for the long haul!
  • abrooke1976
    Options
    VERY VERY MOTIVATIONAL! When I met my hubby 7 years ago I was running 3 miles 5x a week. Then I became comfortable and had a baby and about 75 pounds overweight. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to run again even if it kills me. I am doing it slowly with a run/walk method but I feel great after each time. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!
  • lizcasey23
    lizcasey23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tid bit! As I was reading this it made me smile. I have felt that way so many times and My motto from now on is to keep MOVING!
    :smile:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing what you've learned. I'm seriously contemplating signing up for a half marathon (May 2012) so I have a concrete goal and deadline......
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes and replace them when they start to wear.

Great story!! Good for you for sticking with it!! You've done an amazing job and deserve to be proud.

I do want to highlight the part about good shoes. For you rookie runners out there, don't just go to Target and pick up any pair. Go to a store that specializes in running and get fit. They will find the right shoe for YOU. It doesn't matter what I like, what the OP likes or anyone else. You have to have the right one for your foot. The right shoe feels great and the wrong shoe can be uncomfortable (at best) and lead to injuries (at worst). You should replace them every six months or every 300-400 miles. Shoes are important to a runner!! :smile:
  • RisRis85
    RisRis85 Posts: 28
    Options
    I can relate to all of these points you wrote on! I just finished my first half marathon 2 weeks ago, and I did a 10 week Hal Higdon training schedule. These are all major things to consider when you're starting out, and I wish I had read this when I began.

I really struggle with thinking about other things while I'm running, but like you said, once you allow yourself to relax a little and trail off into another thought focus, the miles truly do whip by.

My most important bit out of all of it: THE SHOES. Man I had shin splints for literally years, and I never knew why and that is why I thought I could never run. But my YMCA in town had marathon training seminars in prep for this past race, and the first week had a speaker on finding the right shoes. As soon as I changed my shoe, the first run was completely different. I have a very high arch and was wearing shoes that were for flat feet people!! LOL. No wonder I was struggling!!

You are going to do AMAZING on your first half. The feeling when you finish is of sheer pride and accomplishment. I second this next to the feeling I had when I got my psych degree. It was that grueling to get through... haha.

I commend you on training for a full 26. That is something I want to do some day but don't know if I can ever do it. Good luck in your journey!

Running becomes a passion, a need, and your own personal, ever changing challenge. :bigsmile:
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    great post. I injured myself last year when I started running. Too much too hard too fast. Strech. Take it slow. stretch more.

Spraining my achilles took a year to heal. and i am just now getting back on the treadmill.
  • jrich6
    jrich6 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for this! :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    great post.
    thanks for sharing what you've learned.