Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options

Replies

• spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Just finished week 3 day 1. Much easier than I thought it was going to be and I noticed my recovery is easier and takes MUCH less time. I did 2.05 miles which is a 13.76 minutes mile...Not sure how fast I would have actually done it if I didn't have to stop 1X to find my child LMBO
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If it was raining and I soaked up a lot of rain, did that make me run slower? Water weighs a lot, right??? W3D1 and I just couldn't get my body to do it. My 1st 90 run and 3 minute run I squeaked through. On the 2nd set, I could only do 1 minute and then 90 seconds instead of the full 3 minutes. I did run an extra 60 seconds in the middle of cool down to try to build a little endurance. Hopefully my next attempt will be more exciting.

On the bright side, I still went out and ran despite the rain, I'm under 200 lbs for 2 days in a row, and I have enough calories to eat dinner! Yeah!
  • karen1612
    karen1612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm off to do w2d2 in a minute. I found w2d1 quite difficult so I'm really hoping it gets easier. Just can not cope with any hills at the moment! they really knock me around. Ah well...got to keep at it and I feel so much better when I've done it.
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Off to do wk3d2. I completed wk3d1 on friday and I was exhausted, mainly because of the hills. I run at my own pace and my goal is to keep moving. I won't try to improve time yet, I just want to get through it. I ran 3 minutes nonstop for the first time since 2001 when I was in college on the track team.
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Just completed w3d2 run went extremely well until last run. I stopped for 12 seconds to catch my breathe then finished the run. Again I had just completed an uphill run and a very steep incline. After completing the run during the cool down I sprinted about 120 yards down hill and back up hill in about 40 seconds to make up for the 12 second stop. I know it really doesn't make up for it but i felt guilty. I felt that my stopping was all mental and that the hill got the best of me. I will continue to challenge the hills in my community until I over come them.
  • spcopps
    Options
    @Cutiger81..one step at a time my friend, one step at a time :flowerforyou:
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    FINALLY CLEARED TO RUN BY THE CARDIOLOGIST! i'm so excited! i have to modify the program a bit per his instructions, but i've been waiting for this news for like 2 weeks now!

i will be starting Easter Sunday if the weather cooperates with me!

that is soooo awesome!
  • ktspac
    ktspac Posts: 32
    Options
    hi everybody
    still have not made it outside yet - too much rain and it is cold here again. did week 5 day 1 on treadmill yesterday - went well. was hoping to get outside for day 2 tomorrow but weather outlook not looking so good again. yuck!!

i actually would love to do a disney race. i wanted to do the princess 1/2 marathin next spring. instead i think i may just do a local 1/2 marathon - there is a great one nearby. if i survive that, then maybe the goofy wine & dine in the Fall next year instead.

i know i'll need a lot more training for a long run like that. actually going to disney before my 9 weeks are up with c25k and trying to figure out if i am really going to run there or if my training will be off while we are there and then back on track once we re back in town. we'll see.
  • spcopps
    Options
    hi everybody
    still have not made it outside yet - too much rain and it is cold here again. did week 5 day 1 on treadmill yesterday - went well. was hoping to get outside for day 2 tomorrow but weather outlook not looking so good again. yuck!!

i actually would love to do a disney race. i wanted to do the princess 1/2 marathin next spring. instead i think i may just do a local 1/2 marathon - there is a great one nearby. if i survive that, then maybe the goofy wine & dine in the Fall next year instead.

i know i'll need a lot more training for a long run like that. actually going to disney before my 9 weeks are up with c25k and trying to figure out if i am really going to run there or if my training will be off while we are there and then back on track once we re back in town. we'll see.

Where are u guys staying? I ask because some of the resorts have really nice jogging/walking trails around their resort property. We have stayed at Port Orleans riverside and it would have been a great run, especially in the early morning. You can walk/run along the river from POR to POFrench Quarter and the entire resort is relatively shaded. We also stayed at the Polynesian..you could do it there but not as nice layout wise for running as POR but resort was wonderful. I also think that Coronado Springs would be a nice place to jog/walk but not much shade IMO
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Started W8 yesterday and got through it pretty easily on the treadmill. I was surprised at myself, but I actually got through the first 14 minutes without barely even feeling it. I got a bit tired for the next 10 or so, but then I got a burst of energy for the last few minutes. Felt great! I usually run at a 0.5 incline on the treadmill because at a 0.0 incline, it feels like I'm running downhill outside and it's too easy. I did my 25 minutes like that on Friday, so I gave myself a break yesterday for my first 28 minutes of the week... seeing at how doable it was, I may try upping it to 0.5 again or even a 1.0 incline tomorrow and Friday. We'll see!

I'm very excited that I can do this. What a wonderful program! A few weeks ago, I was struggling to get through my 5 minute runs. Today, I'm doing 28 minutes straight through without stopping. Keep at it, you guys, you can do it!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    had some really awkward knee pains over the weekend, so i didn't get to do my run on saturday or whenever it was. picked it up with w3d3 today, and i could TELL i hadn't worked out in a few days. but i did the whole thing, plus an extra sprint at the end (just to see if i could) and i feel fine. so, tonight becomes day one of every day pilates/yoga ( i have a variety of dvds to go through on my netflix) and hopefully i'll be able to keep up the cardio/strength alternating routine i had going last week.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Boy, I feel like I'm falling behind. I went out this morning to do W3D2 with my daughter and did worse than ever. I couldn't make the last 30 seconds of the first 3 minute run and it went downhill from there. We just kept moving and I ran once I caught my breath for as long as I could then alternated walking. I think I'll be parked on this level for at least two weeks :(
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Don't worry hang in there and keep pushing.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Howdy all,
    I got 8kms in tonight doing C25k Week 5 and W5D1.

I have a few hills, and I used to mentally think i couldn't do it and just walked when I got to that point. I just slowed it down and kept pushing through up the hills and started my walk after I got up the hill. Now I just keep pushing that point further.
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow Peter, you are pacing well - I did week 9 day 3 and still can't run 5k
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Boy, I feel like I'm falling behind. I went out this morning to do W3D2 with my daughter and did worse than ever. I couldn't make the last 30 seconds of the first 3 minute run and it went downhill from there. We just kept moving and I ran once I caught my breath for as long as I could then alternated walking. I think I'll be parked on this level for at least two weeks :(

Just keep at it, maybe you had a bad day and next time will be better. it all helps build your stamina - good luck!
  • emiskins
    emiskins Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In the middle of repeating week 4. Just finished day 2 - again. It's tough but it was the first time I made it all the way through the 5 minute runs without stopping. So one more time and hopefully I will be ready to move on to week 5!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    After completely failing W6/D1 fo c210k (THREE times!), I finally remembered it's o.k. to repeat a week, so I backed up to week 5 and had a GREAT run. I'm going to stay on week 5, until I'm positive I can move on without fail. I may even add in an incline to emulate outdoor running.
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Just completed WK3D3 run and I feel good. I run nonstop on every run. The last three minute run was crucial but towards the end of the run I ran down hill so I wasn't all that bad. Lungs were on fire. I don't know how I will make the Wk4D1 on friday. I need motivation.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Don't worry. Just keep repeating until you are comfortable to move ahead. There's no :( about it - everyone is different. Better to repeat a week than give up completely.