Overweight fitness instructors

Options
15678911»

Replies

• EmmaGutteridge83
    Options
    Being overweight doesn't mean you are unfit... I have completed 4 half marathons, and a Sprint Triathlon in a reasonable time and I am somewhat overweight... I actually feel that having an overweight instructor may put someone else who is overweight at ease... I know I have been to classes where I have been the biggest in the class (although not necessarily the unfit one) and felt very patronized by the skinny instructor.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fitness instructors are people too. We have babies, regular job stress, personal stress, financial stress, etc that can make us put on a few extra pounds. Exercise is not a panacea to cure all poor food decisions. Some of us struggle to find balance and not all fitness instructors have the same body shape regardless of their fitness level.

That said...nobody who KNOWS they are overweight & are applying for a job as a fitness instructor should be surprised when they are passed by for an applicant who appears more fit. It's not always about how well you move, how well you motivate. The person doing the hiring may have no idea what should happen in the type of class you teach or your ability to do it.
  • BeingKevin2
    BeingKevin2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Far be it from me to judge anybody based on weight. If they are instructing a class I make assume that they are capable of instructing that class - if somewhere along the way I feel they aren't then I may reconsider.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    one of the personal trainers at my gym is about 50lb ish overweight but considering he used to weigh just over 500lb hes a great source of inspiration for many as he knows his stuff from all the research he did on his own journey and all the courses he did while training to be a PT. in fact he has the most qualifications of all the PT's at the gym
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Im not personal trainer or fitness instructor but I can outlift and outrun plenty a skinny person - so I dont think it would put me off, you dont know if they are obese/overweight after being morbidly obese - they might not have finished their journey yet but cant teach because they've come a heck of a long way already.
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    One of the "experts" at my gym sits on the machine next to the one she is teaching with a cup of coffee wearing flip flops. Not sure what example she is setting...