Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING is bad for you.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Quest bars, but this sentence in the article from the OP make me laugh:
    Sucralose is an artificial sweetener that may or may not cause cancer, bowel disease, and DNA alterations in mice.

If that's not a scare-mongering tautology, I don't know what is. On a completely unrelated subject, MFP is a website that may or may not cause cancer, bowel disease, and DNA alterations.

Breathing air may or may not cause you die within your lifetime.

From now on, I'm only breathing water. :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

This is the conclusion of the link you provided:

"... But let’s pretend for second, hypothetically, that the claims ARE true. Even then, it doesn’t change my opinion of Quest Bars AT ALL from a nutritional PoV (ethics aside).

The primary claim is a drastic overstatement of fiber content. Personally, I eat Quest bars — and I believe most others do, too — because they’re a clean, HQ protein delivery mechanism. The fiber is a nice little added bonus; like the sprinkles on top of a decadent red velvet cupcake. But they have so many other strong pluses — low sugar, HQ protein content, extremely clean ingredients, and a stevia sweetened line — that even if you cut the fiber down from 17g to 5g, they’d still be marginally better than almost every other protein bar anyway.

And if you’re worried about a potentially *unthinkable* 20% jump in calories, it’s a net increase from 170 to 204 per bar. 34 calories. Gasp.

The Bottom Line: Keep your Quest Bars and continue eating them without thinking twice about it. "

To each his own.
  • Well, I love them :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    "Whenever we see natural flavors added to a product, we try to imagine what it would taste like without them. Added flavors are made in labs and serve to mask the lack of flavor of the other ingredients in the product. Ask yourself this – do you need to add natural flavors to food you prepare at home?"

YES! OF COURSE. have you never added vanilla extract to your baking??? of course you use natural flavors to your food, because natural flavors ENHANCE the flavor, not mask, not fake, enhance. this is just fear mongering.

I knew I liked you. :smooched:
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So... Is OP assuming no one reads the ingredients on processed food and so will be shocked to learn what they are? Or are they assuming we don't have our own perspective on those ingredients and so will believe a pile of ranting and scaremongering as gospel? Either way: nope.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way as I think Quest bars are pretty gross tasting compared to the alternatives, but it does crack me up how "enthused" either side gets when debating Quest bars. It ranks up there with politics and religion on this board.
  • sr2107
    sr2107 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am pretty sure if you google any kind of food/protein bar/drink you will find a negative and a positive article about it. Just go with what works for you. I personally don't like the taste of the quest bars, but I won't bash them for what they are. They work for some ppl and for others they don't plain and simple!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The tests that appear to "prove" Quest's inaccurate label claims actually seem to be the wrong tests and yield misrepresentative data.The lab that originally did the testing that brought about the lawsuit used the wrong tests. They did not use the proper testing procedure for one of the fiber sources, Isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO). IMOs require a unique test specifically designed to accurately detect IMO, which was not done. The third party testing which was done by the Consumer Lab included tests for the IMO's and they came up with results that were the same as the labels.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I bought 5 Apple Pie Quest bars online when I was ordering my Atkins bars (I like to grab one in the morning if I don't have time for Breakfast). I'd seen alot of people on my Low Carb forum rave about Quest bars. What surprised me is that they have 26g of carbs each (Atkins ones have 2 to 3g). For someone eating Keto that's WAY too much. I've decided to have one a week til they're gone and not eat any more, and to only have them on a Saturday when I ride, and burn alot of calories. As for the taste? Very very sweet with a kinda unpleasant aftertaste, and chewy. Don't seem to do much for hunger either. Atkins bar in the morning with a coffee = fine til about 1pm before I even think about food. A quest bar and I'm hungry like an hour later, like it's made of real sugar.

I wanted to like them, I really did, but I won't be buying any more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I bought 5 Apple Pie Quest bars online when I was ordering my Atkins bars (I like to grab one in the morning if I don't have time for Breakfast). I'd seen alot of people on my Low Carb forum rave about Quest bars. What surprised me is that they have 26g of carbs each (Atkins ones have 2 to 3g). For someone eating Keto that's WAY too much. I've decided to have one a week til they're gone and not eat any more, and to only have them on a Saturday when I ride, and burn alot of calories. As for the taste? Very very sweet with a kinda unpleasant aftertaste, and chewy. Don't seem to do much for hunger either. Atkins bar in the morning with a coffee = fine til about 1pm before I even think about food. A quest bar and I'm hungry like an hour later, like it's made of real sugar.

Isn't Atkins all about net carbs? If so, most Quest bars only have 3-4 g after you subtract the fiber.
  • dancedivine
    dancedivine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please don't take away my Quest bars!!!! I'm a total addict.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Isn't Atkins all about net carbs? If so, most Quest bars only have 3-4 g after you subtract the fiber.

The Apple Pie one had about 7g of net carbs, still too high when you're aiming for 20g a day.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options

May I ask what you like about them?

DH and I broke down and grabbed a handful of different flavors at the store to see what the fuss was all about.
    So far after 3 bars I don't get it. They are pasty, taste like protein more than their flavor, and just down right ick. The only one I like so far is the chocolate chip dough. That actually tasted like it. The banana nut muffin didn't taste *anything* like a real banana nut muffin and the coconut cashew only tasted like I had a mouth full of protein lard.

Please don't take this as bashing I would never do that. I just don't get the hype with this brand. I'd much rather have a Kind, Luna or Lara bar.

• bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Asheea wrote: »

DH and I broke down and grabbed a handful of different flavors at the store to see what the fuss was all about.
    So far after 3 bars I don't get it. They are pasty, taste like protein more than their flavor, and just down right ick. The only one I like so far is the chocolate chip dough. That actually tasted like it. The banana nut muffin didn't taste *anything* like a real banana nut muffin and the coconut cashew only tasted like I had a mouth full of protein lard.

Please don't take this as bashing I would never do that. I just don't get the hype with this brand. I'd much rather have a Kind, Luna or Lara bar.

I can tell you what I like most about them is the nutritional stats, as well as how much bar you get for the calories. Being satisfying and filling is the number one thing I look for in a bar and these do that the best. I don't think most of them taste entirely like what they're supposed to be imitating, but I still find them to be delicious in their own way!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Asheea wrote: »

What I like about them is they have way better protein ratios than a kind or Luna bar. The Kind bar I've bought before had like, 5 grams of protein, and the Luna had 10 grams for 180 calories. A quest bar has about 21 grams of protein for the same 180 calories, making a Luna bar to me just terrible.

Also, I really love the cookie dough and cookies and cream flavors a lot, they're so good. There are some flavors of bar that I'v tried and trashed them right away (Apple Pie) and ones I wouldn't even consider buying (banana nut muffin is definitely one of them). I also enjoy the White chocolate rasberry, vanilla almond crunch, and a few of the chocolate based ones, but the cookies and cream and cookie dough are the only ones I will buy by the box.

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just another ordinary protein bar if you ask me, nothing special. That being said, OP--you pretty much got owned.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Never had one....just looked them up......they cost quite a bit????
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The origin of that lawsuit is that for some diabetics, the bars appeared to spike blood sugar, which is odd, cause on paper the stats are darn near perfect.

The first one I tried, it was some kind of apple one, spiked my bs by 20 points. Which is a huge deal. I went a year without touching them.

Then one day I wasn't managing well and had to eat something...right...now... A friend pulled one out of her purse. Since I was low, I didn't worry too much and ate it. Normal food response for my blood sugar. It made me curious so I bought a couple different ones and tested them. The only one that raised my blood sugar like that again was the apple flavored ones. Which is good, cause I find they have a sour aftertaste I don't like.

So...is it a fluke, or are they mislabeled? I don't know, but I know they are delicious compared to the other protein bars, and they don't have that weird sour protein bar taste. I always have to have some food around me and these are better than glucose tabs which are more expensive. I don't live on them, but yeah, I'll keep buying them.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ok so now that I've eaten all three (again I tried: double chocolate chunk, brownie, and cookies and cream), here is what I thought.

Dbl Chocolate Chunk: "WHY GOD WHYYYY? HOW HAVE I OFFENDED YOU?! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?!? I'm sorry... IM SORRYYYYY!!!"

Brownie: "Ok, this isn't... Terrible. I'll finish eating it, but only because I'm at work and need the calories.

Cookies and Cream: "Oh thank god! It's actually decent, but still not thaaaat great. I mean compared to the others? Sure, ok. But God id kill for a Premier Protein bar right now."

C&C was also the only one that helped stave off hunger in any real kind of way. I didn't mind the texture.

I'm actually really disappointed, I was so excited to try these. :disappointed: