Banana Bread was left hanging on our front Door !

Options
If baked goods are in the house its all over. My sister in law left a loaf of still-warm banana bread on the front door this morning. 4 slices = 8 ounces = 800 calories. Since I already had a light breakfast it looks like - no lunch - and a glass of wine for dinner will finish the day.

What to do if someone else in the house buys oatmeal-raisin cookies etc ???

Replies

• AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you told your sister that you're currently on a diet and trying to avoid baked goodies? Maybe you should see if anybody else would like it?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well I hope it was delicious! Sounds like you are making it work, although if you think you have any problems with binge eating, I think it would help to still eat lunch and dinner as usual. It's OK to go over your calories one day.
  • bobby5112
    bobby5112 Posts: 10
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Have you told your sister that you're currently on a diet and trying to avoid baked goodies? Maybe you should see if anybody else would like it?

My wife says that how they show thier love . . they love cooking and sharing . . . that what they are best at, let them have their joy of giving.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    bobby5112 wrote: »
    4 slices = 8 ounces = 800 calories.

I know it sounds crazy, but you could eat just one slice.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    How about learning portion control? Eat 1 slice of bread today, eat 2 or 3 cookies. Including it into your day in moderation. And if you don't want any fresh baked goods you can send them my way, I will make sure to properly dispose of them in my belly.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I need me a sister in law like that stat. For the baked deliciousness. Not the possible lb gain
  • Reel81
    Reel81 Posts: 8
    Options
    Stuff like that goes directly in the trashcan on the street, without even being opened or sampled. I'd thank my sister for the gesture but insure the paraphernalia does not remain in the home to be eaten.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Reel81 wrote: »
    Stuff like that goes directly in the trashcan on the street, without even being opened or sampled. I'd thank my sister for the gesture but insure the paraphernalia does not remain in the home to be eaten.

Why waste good food?? paraphernalia really it's banana bread not a syringe

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You could always eat a reasonable lunch and dinner and not punish yourself for this indulgence. (And bread can be eaten one slice at a time in the future.)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hang it on my door, and slide some cookies through the letter slot
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I wish somebody would leave baked goods on my door... I might great a bottle of wine before I get the bakes goods seeing I'm the baker in our family...
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    jwhited71 wrote: »
    Why waste good food?? paraphernalia really it's banana bread not a syringe

This situation is exactly what work break rooms are for! Take it to work and leave it for people who might like it. :smiley:
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    At some point you have to learn to live in a world that includes banana bread and oatmeal raisin cookies. This is an opportunity to practice and to figure out what you can change in the future so that you don't have this sort of reaction.

If you don't want to include these baked goods in your calorie allowance for the day, then pass along the love to someone you know who would like to enjoy them. You said that your sister-in-law bakes all of the time, so this is not the only loaf of banana bread that you will receive. Don't feel obligated to eat it, but at the same time you shouldn't be afraid of it. You're in control, not the food. You need to realize that if you're going to be successful long-term. Right now you're developing good habits. Sometimes it hurts, but you have to figure out how to address that pain.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I know! Some jerk left a bag full of candy on our doorstep anonymously with a little note wishing us a Happy Halloween. Gosh, I hate it when people put in the time and effort to perform a nice gesture of goodwill. They should be put in stocks in the town square, I tell you!

OP, next time either eat one slice, divide it into single servings and freeze it (breads freeze well), or take it to work or give it to someone else who would appreciate it. I bet your letter carrier, garbage collector, school bus driver, or school administrative staff would all be happy to be acknowledged with a little gift like that for no reason.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If it's how your wife and her sister share their love, then let your wife eat it. It's not about you.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Reel81 wrote: »

Sadly I do this around the holidays a lot. I feel terrible throwing food in the trash but I know If I eat one cookie or one sweet from the package I'll eat the whole thing... no doubt about it. Sometimes you can tell people your on a diet, and you can tell them "please don't make cookies for me I don't want any"... and they make them anyway...a whole freaking bunch of them.

I know for a fact my coworker makes a bunch of "goodies" and then feels guilty about it and doesn't want to eat everything she made so she saves 2 for herself and "kindly" gives the rest away to friends and family. She feels like she's controlling her eating and still getting what she wants (and maybe it works on her end)...but it sets the recipients up for failure and temptation they were trying to avoid. Especially when 2-3 other people gave you "goodies" over the same holiday. :( So into the trash they go... maybe with some used kitty litter or dog poo on top so I'm not tempted to dig them back out of the trash :expressionless:

Now if you wanna bring 1 individually packaged home baked cookie over with the calories already calculated out for me... thank you so much I will love you forever...but please don't bring me Santa's entire megalithic cookie collection when I've asked you not to. :angry:
  • bobby5112
    Options
    bobby5112 wrote: »
    4 slices = 8 ounces = 800 calories.

I know it sounds crazy, but you could eat just one slice.

That sounds Crazy :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Crazy is living your life in a bubble. It's banana bread. You are in control of what you eat. If you're not? Then you need the banana bread on the kitchen counter every day - so you can practice being in control.