Replies

• Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I only have 30 lbs to loose.I am fortunate that I never got that big
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Years and years and years of a combination of being comfortable in my situation, a desk job, *really* enjoying food & alcohol, and a dose of not caring too much (stemming from a variety of other reasons).

Even at my most fit years ago, I had a pretty awful diet by most standards.

When you're (back) in the habit of closely watching your weight, it's hard to envision not doing that as part of the daily routine, but it's actually quite easy to wind up ignoring your own health altogether.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'vebeen way overweight before. It just slowly kept coming on! I had to work hard and stop the stupid eating and it was hard work. It can be done!!!!!! I've been at the same weight for several years now and am much happier.
  • hollymlb1
    hollymlb1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have PCOS and my weight is a symptom of this. I have been fighting to treat PCOS as well as the weight for years but every time I would find something that worked (Bulimia, cutting out almost all carbs, not sweets, no this not that etc.) I would lose weight good for 3 to 6 months and then for one reason or the other I just could continue. And I would gain all the weight back plus some. Eventually the gain back lead me to 316 pounds. It sucks but I do believe I have a job that will last long term so I can keep going to the doctor and stay on my medicine, and I think how I am using this site is something I could do for the rest of my life. Hopefully by the end of the summer I am under 300.
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Then why comment?
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It creeps up on you. Personally, I was in denial and used food to cope with stress. Thankfully, I am here and now weighing in the 200s. I know that there is hope. Cheers.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    how did you get that big in first place? I am not trying to offend anyone ,I am just curious.for me,i am naturally curvy so whenever I stop working out and not watch my diet I gain weight until I reach a certain weight or look. probably around 160`s and I am 5`3 but I never gain more even if I don't go back to the gym. So I was wondering with people who end up gaining up to 300 pounds, do they eat at least 5000 calories day to put on that much weight. This is just out of curiosity and I am sorry I offended anyone
    I was like you, weight never went above 160. That is until I reach age 45 and started going through peri-menopause. The weight just kept adding on. I will be completely honest and tell you, I am probably one of the healthiest eaters I know, don't each much meat, NEVER beef, and I don't do FAST FOOD, mainly a vegetarian diet. Don't do dairy because I have health issues, so no cheese. You'll never find cookies or snacks in my house unless I'm entertaining guests and then I send it home with them. I haven't had a soda, diet or otherwise in say 20 years. I drink water infused with slices of orange.
    So you asked, how did I get this big? My metabolism started to slow down, as my weight increased my exercise decreased and I developed a habit of drinking wine at night. And so my weight crept up to 257 at its highest and now I'm working damn hard to bring it back to where it should be.
    I pray you never have to deal with such an issue but don't expect your weight will sit at 160 forever.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Before i started MFP i was 353, heaviest was 384. To get that big im not going to blame genetics or anyone/thing but myself. I ate like crap i.e. 15-20$ worth of fast food almost everyday during the week (enough to feed 3 people sometimes), i would throw back an entire large pizza myself and sometimes crazy bread with it and, drink a lot of pop, didnt do any type of exercise outside of just going to work, I could eat ice cream by the 1/2 gallon, or any other treat i had in the house.
  • Matthebrute
    Options
    i have been as high as 240. i'm a 6" male so my ideal weight is around 160-180

people say not to blame genetics but i was always a toothpick in school weighing no more than 130 soaking wet, once i hit my 20's i just blew up...yes some is because of bad eating/drinking habits and i will admit that but my body was genetically designed to slow my metabolism at a certain point, same thing happened to my father and my twin brother.

i have always eaten horribly and never weighed more than 250, im sure as the years go on if i continued on with my terrible eating habits and sitting on my lazy *kitten* all day i would prob hit that 300 lb mark by the time i hit 35 ( im 30 now)

some people just dont metabolize like others, thus they put on weight much faster than others. its really difficult for someone who is facing severe obesity to start eating right and exercising since they are ALWAYS hungry when on a diet, and not the normal feeling a lil hungry could go for a snack hungry....its more like a gut wrenching pain that never goes away...just moving around is a feat for some people so do you think the feel like they can exercise? no of course not they are depressed and with depression comes lack of motivation and lack of caring.

so i guess to answer your question....there is alot of different things that can contribute to weighing 300 lbs, everyone im sure will have the're own unique story..

you want to know how to avoid it? well first you need to learn how you metabolise food and how your body reacts to junk food. i know some people who can eat anything they want and not gain a pound...learn about yourself and what causes YOU to gain weight and then you can avoid those situations.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Talking with others in my group who are/were at a similar starting point as me, I would say a majority of us are/were effed up in the head either from psychological, physical or emotional abuse or a chemical imbalance of some sort or we did it to ourselves after years of "dieting" that back fired. :drinker: Hello 200lb gain in a little over a year! That was me! :bigsmile:
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would stop blaming genetics and past abuse for their size.

A lot of people in my family suffer from obesity, and I was also abused to an extreme extent as a child, but my obesity is MY FAULT. No one elses.

I was lazy, the rest of my family is lazy.

OP, want to know how you can get over 300 lbs? Eat without regard for your own personal health. Have a large enough bank account to bank roll endless amounts of take outs. And just not care.

I reached 428 lbs by doing just this, and trying to put all the blame on my father, or on my mother, or on being bullied as a young child. It's all BS.

People need to take responsibility for themselves, and make the choice to change!

I don't think people are saying my Parents made me fat, the bullies made me fat, the Priest that touched me in bad places made me fat, I think a better way of stating this is saying, I turned to food as a coping mechanism and got FAT. Get your head fixed first, develop some healthy coping mechanisms that teach you how to be a productive, active person and everything else will fall into place.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Then why comment?

just like everyone else who has commented on this post.I doubt all of them weigh 300 pounds and then some people who commented just to lash at OP for this post. I am not surprised that some took an offense to OP question but I am sure that OP didn't mean to come off as being an @ss.just my 2 cents
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would stop blaming genetics and past abuse for their size.

A lot of people in my family suffer from obesity, and I was also abused to an extreme extent as a child, but my obesity is MY FAULT. No one elses.

I was lazy, the rest of my family is lazy.

OP, want to know how you can get over 300 lbs? Eat without regard for your own personal health. Have a large enough bank account to bank roll endless amounts of take outs. And just not care.

I reached 428 lbs by doing just this, and trying to put all the blame on my father, or on my mother, or on being bullied as a young child. It's all BS.

People need to take responsibility for themselves, and make the choice to change!

I don't think people are saying my Parents made me fat, the bullies made me fat, the Priest that touched me in bad places made me fat, I think a better way of stating this is saying, I turned to food as a coping mechanism and got FAT. Get your head fixed first, develop some healthy coping mechanisms that teach you how to be a productive, active person and everything else will fall into place.

This +1^^^
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Uh, cause I ate a lot....
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Before i started MFP i was 353, heaviest was 384. To get that big im not going to blame genetics or anyone/thing but myself. I ate like crap i.e. 15-20$ worth of fast food almost everyday during the week (enough to feed 3 people sometimes), i would throw back an entire large pizza myself and sometimes crazy bread with it and, drink a lot of pop, didnt do any type of exercise outside of just going to work, I could eat ice cream by the 1/2 gallon, or any other treat i had in the house.

^This. I could eat a couple of pizzas no problem, then kill a tub of ice cream no problem. Oh and wash it all down with a 2 liter of Mountain Dew. Just did. not. care.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am officially out of the 300s as of this month. I now weigh 295. My starting weight was 330. a total of 35 pounds lost, another 15 pounds to go and I will weigh the same when I had my photo redone at work :D
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    oh, no. Not this thread again.
  • Falcon
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    oh, no. Not this thread again.

what is that supposed to mean?

How did I get up to 330 pounds?

eating poorly and ordering in pizza, Chinese food which is loaded with grease and calories, constantly eating fast food all the time. Not eating enough veggies and all the good food.

• Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For me it was overwork. Skip lunch, miss meals got through drive-thru STARVING and doing a mad cram of 2-3 sandwiches before dinner. Diet, lose that weight, gain back what I lost plus 5 more. Getting seriously ill, getting so fat it was hard to move. Giving up on dieting because it's too hard and doesn't do any good. Once you have officially given up, gaining is all you have left. Finally my "Fat Dr." forced me to join MFP to calorie count, and put me in aqua therapy for my bad knees. Once I could move without pain, and saw I could eat LOTS, be happy and still lose weight I had the proper tools to begin this journey. But without the proper tools and support simply hearing people say "You need to lose weight" is an impossible and frustrating dilemma. Fat people do know they're fat. It's finding the workable solution that is so hard.
    46110322.png
  • Falcon
    Options
    djmcvey1 wrote: »
    I noticed the founder deleted their account. Chicken S***

She deleted her account? :(