Desk Job and Losing Weight?

Options
aSaltandBattery
aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I work at a desk 90% of my 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week. Occasionally I will get out and about around the building that I work in, but most of my responsibilities are on the computer or filling out paperwork at the desk. I know I have to want to change, be the change, motivate myself and actually do what needs to be done to lose weight. I know I have to eat less calories, eat foods that are more nutritious and make conscious healthy choices.

What I am looking for are tips and supportive advice so that I can continue on my journey.

Does anyone have any methods for getting more activity/calorie burning in while at work?

On the weekends I am much more active hiking, doing yard/house work, and just moving around more in general.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm a software engineer, so i'm infront of a computer all day, and when i'm done, i go directly to the gym, i workout every single day of the week. It's either you want to workout or you want to choose to not change. it's pretty simple. walking around your office won't do anything for you, you have to put in effort.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water so I have to go to the bathroom a lot lol
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight just by eating less. Or, by moving more. Or by both eating less and moving more.

If your job requires you to sit at a desk, can you schedule 5 minutes out of every hour to get up and move, run up and down the stairs or take a walk? Do you get a lunch break so you could take a 20 minute walk? Park farther away from the building?

In the evening, do you watch television? You can march or jog in place for 20-30 minutes. Or every commercial break do jumping jacks. There are a lot of things you CAN do, you just have to decide to do it.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    kemacc213 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for getting more activity/calorie burning in while at work? Especially since when I get home I do want to be active, but being lazy all day limits my motivation! :\

I know what you mean about losing motivation after being at work all day. That's why I get up at 4AM and workout before leaving for the office.

I've also gotten pretty good at finding excuses to walk around while at work. And although I quit smoking 18 months ago, I still take 3 or 4 smoke breaks and use them to walk for about ten minutes. And I walk a couple miles during lunch. The end result is that I usually get in 4 or 5 miles while I'm at work.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i sit at a desk all day too. i have lost weight. you just need to eat less. and if you want to workout...do it before or after. whatever fits your schedule.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    If your job requires you to sit at a desk, can you schedule 5 minutes out of every hour to get up and move, run up and down the stairs or take a walk? Do you get a lunch break so you could take a 20 minute walk? Park farther away from the building?

In the evening, do you watch television? You can march or jog in place for 20-30 minutes. Or every commercial break do jumping jacks. There are a lot of things you CAN do, you just have to decide to do it.

^This

Check out the 7 Minute workout app - can do this in your office if need be

Park at the back of the lot, take the stairs, walk to talk to people instead of email/call, Walk X steps prior to sitting down for lunch. Get up Every 60 minutes - even if you just walk to door and back get up.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    i sit at a desk all day too. i have lost weight. you just need to eat less. and if you want to workout...do it before or after. whatever fits your schedule.

This^

Find something that fits your schedule. I exercise after work (totally not a morning person).

Do you get a lunch break? I've gotten in some pretty good walks at lunch time. I keep shoes, baby wipes, deodorant, and a cheap MP3 player in my desk.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I take a few small walking breaks during the day. Couple of laps around the inside of the building... and drink water so I can call them restroom breaks. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job. I work out in the evening when I get off. When I was losing weight, I did the same (evening workouts) and just ate less.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job in a building with a few floors and work on the third floor so I always take the stairs, when I go to the restroom during the day I walk down the flights of stairs to the basement and back up and then go back to my desk and take a longer route. I also will walk during my breaks in the building when the weather is bad and outside when it is nice.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the water, but where I work, no one minds if I walk around a bit here and there. Some of it depends on your office culture.

Is it possible to active commute? Can you pack your lunch, something that you can eat relatively quickly, then use the rest of your lunch hour to walk? Would they consider giving you a standing desk?

I'm not a morning exerciser, as I find the best time for me to work out is right after work. I pack my gym bag so I have no reason not to go straight there. If I go home.... the couch sometimes calls. :)
  • onlygettingfitter
    Options
    I generally work out in the morning (only time I can squeeze it in while kids sleep). I love my work out dvd's. But at work you can just try small things. I was doing a mini challenge of if I had to get up from my desk, before I can sit back down I have to do 10 squats. That might not sound like alot, but I was averaging 150 - 200 squats total per day. Your legs have the largest muscles which helps improve your metabolism.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 100 lbs with a desk job - it's tricky to be active during work hours, so I try to use my commute time and lunch break as times to get moving. I always go for a walk on my lunch break, and living in a city, I'm able to take the train to work in the morning and then walk home (4.5 miles/90 minutes) in the evening.... I know that's not always viable for folks with long car commutes, but it works for my situation. Biking to/from work could also be an option for you. Additionally I try to hit up the gym most weeknights right after work, and I deliberately switched to a gym that is on the same street as my work. I used to go to a gym that was closer to my house, but I would have the whole commute time home to talk myself out of it, and as a result I used to skip going a LOT. :smile:
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have to do my exercise in the morning, or it doesn't get done. Make it a priority and you will find time for it. Even just 15 minutes to start....once you consistently do that, and see the results both on the scale and in how you feel, you will be motivated to add more.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk for at least 40/week (most weeks 50+). I have pretty much given up on the moving more at work idea (I'm at work to work, not to exercise), outside of taking the stairs whenever I can, and doing a quick lap around the floor to stretch my legs every once in awhile.

Work-wise the most helpful thing I've done is pre-plan and bring from home my lunch and snacks, as well as keeping some healthy snacks in my desk drawer (almonds, granola bars, oatmeal packets).

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Can you sneak away on your lunch break for a workout, or even a walk?

• ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have this issue, too. I bought a Fitbit to get a better idea of how little I actually moved. The results were sobering. Having that Fitbit on my wrist reminds me that I have to get up and get moving more!

I also find that drinking tons of water throughout the day gives me two excuses to get up and get moving:
    1) I have to refill my water bottle at least 4 times a day.
    2) I have to go to the bathroom at least double that!

Each time I get up to refill or go to the bathroom, I take a lap around the cubicles we have in our office. It's not much, but it helps! I've almost doubled my activity at work.

Currently I don't have the wherewithal to workout before work and my evenings are filled. I know this is an excuse and someday I'll be forced to change my thoughts on this. But for now, it's better than nothing!!!
  • aSaltandBattery
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Can you sneak away on your lunch break for a workout, or even a walk?

I don't technically get a lunch break. Legally I punch out and am "on lunch" but I am the only one in my office and I am on call for the residents if they need anything during my shift.

• aSaltandBattery
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    I have to do my exercise in the morning, or it doesn't get done. Make it a priority and you will find time for it. Even just 15 minutes to start....once you consistently do that, and see the results both on the scale and in how you feel, you will be motivated to add more.

This is a good point. I need to get over the huge "you are working out" aspect and think that it will take up so much of my time. If I can even start with smaller sets of time to get it into a routine that would be very helpful. Thank you :)
  • aSaltandBattery
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    I also work at a desk for at least 40/week (most weeks 50+). I have pretty much given up on the moving more at work idea (I'm at work to work, not to exercise), outside of taking the stairs whenever I can, and doing a quick lap around the floor to stretch my legs every once in awhile.

Work-wise the most helpful thing I've done is pre-plan and bring from home my lunch and snacks, as well as keeping some healthy snacks in my desk drawer (almonds, granola bars, oatmeal packets).

Yes! I have been pre-planning my days and bringing specific food into work so that I am not out of allotted calories by the time I leave or even just munching on random things all day. It all adds up a lot faster than I had believed.