What kinds of 'unusual' fitness do you do?

Options

Replies

• starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cyclocross.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    h7463 wrote: »
    blupanda12 wrote: »
    Another diver here! Best days are scuba days :smiley:
    LOL! I never thought of counting this! The only real exercise I thought, I ever get with it is dragging a ton of gear to the beach/boat.... Once I'm under water, I don't move much anymore.... It will still make me hungry, though.... :p

Kicking against the current is not easy. But I think the main reason for spending so much calories while diving is simply being in relatively cold water...

O boy...if you have to kick against the current much, I'd suggest you fire your dive guide... I prefer drift dives WITH the current, while the boat follows along on the surface... I carry a ton of photo and video equipment along, no way I kick against anything, if I can help it!
    Nahh...I don't believe that the exposure burns a lot of calories....millions of dieters would strip down every winter...hahahahaha.....probably an image that I can do without!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise, the one and only total body one hour workout.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I pole dance!!
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Rock Climbing is a great way to change up your workout and keep things interesting. I prefer the out-door real thing, but just hitting a climbing gym for an hour or so can really tear you up!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well it's been awhile, but one of my favorite past times is hiking/mountain climbing. I've made three summit attempts of Mt Rainier back in the day (this was BK though - before kids). I live in Western Washington so there's lots of great hiking/climbing routes around here. The Mt Rainier climb was among the most physically challenging things I've EVER done (altitude, heavy pack, hours of intense upward hiking, etc.)

I've done a lot of running/racing, but am looking to challenge myself next year by doing trail runs, etc. I'm a big believer in changing things up.

I suppose none of these are super unusual, just different from what you might normally do at a gym. Such a cool topic though - I'll be interested to follow.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm a professional bellydancer- but I'm a power lifter too- so I spent hours lifting heavy things- then going to dance class.... it's kind of amusing.
    I set goals none of which include weight loss, that's why I eat right
    - I work on flexibility despite all the anti-stretch & warm-up pundants
    - I stick to 6 or 7 main strength exercises in a wekk and keep things simple. Crazy huh?
    - I bust my **** to exceed previous best performances
    - I eat carbs
    - I consume minimal supplements
    - I give my body rest so it can bounce-back and kick **** when I need it to

I just think these basic things are considered unusual these days.

nope- everyone I know does something very much along these lines- so sorry not sorry- you're not a special snowflake.

You are in very good company then Jo. The media alone is enough to dissuade the unknowing person from doing basic essentials. Unfortunately I work around 60 people and I listen to all their misconceptions about training, family members, friends, etc. I'd say folks like us are not the norm.

I have to agree with this...I work in an office with about 200 people and at least 3/4 of the people who are there don't do any of the above...

I actually heard someone say to me..."counting calories doesn't work..." I just walked away.

ETA: my unusal fitness is well...unfortunately not unusual for MFP...it is for where I live tho as I lift heavy...most women in my area just do cardio or use small pink dumbells...and do zumba.
  • verityccheslo
    Options
    hula hoop dancing is pretty fun ;)
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ruzuki wrote: »
    I'm wondering what sorts of non-traditional exercise and fitness people are doing. Walking and jogging and crunches get boring, so I want to try to get ideas.

One of my non-traditional fitness routines is dancing to Japanese pop videos. Trying to copy the dances in the videos basically. Its pretty fun, I have a youtube playlist that is an hour long and I dance the whole time. :)

I think that many people who are successful at maintaining an active lifestyle, over time, participate in a sport or learn and practice a physical skill that they enjoy. So, although these things are not "unusual", you might want to consider taking up one of these, or joining a club or class:
    Tennis
    Squash
    Rowing Club
    Karate or other marital art
    Soccer
    Rugby
    Hockey
    Horseback riding
    Golf
    Cross country skiing
    Snow Shoeing
    Swim club or water polo
    Basketball
    Volleyball

Joining a club, or taking some lessons in a sport, opens new doors, gets you active, and it's a great way of making new friends, too.
  • gscavette
    gscavette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing an activity called Nordic Cross Skating. It is similar to the motion used for cross country skiing. It is an amazing workout that integrates your lower body, upper body, and core muscles. Try this link for more information:
    http://delaware-valley-fitness.myshopify.com/pages/what-is-nordic-cross-skating
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think the most unusual thing I've logged here is boating.
    I'm always very tired after a day on the water, but never thought it burned lots of calories, then I decided to see if there was an entry in the database.

Have to log it as "fishing from boat, sitting", and according to the database it burned 4.4 cal / min, or about 260 cal / hr... for sitting in a boat! With the wave action, you're always using lots of muscles to maintain balance.

51637601.png
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I own two horses that live on my 10 acre farm. I muck stalls, repair fences, groom horses, lug hay, grain and shavings. . . definitely not something most people do.
  • Ahrena
    Ahrena Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    3 out of 4 of my main types of exercise are unusual. Well 2 of them maybe not unusual but not common anyway.
    • Horse riding (2 hours + a day as its part of my job)
    • Pole dancing
    • Aerial silks (google it if you don't know what it is, then go try it, its insane fun)

• PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love backpacking. I wouldn't say that's unusual though, hiking is one of the biggest pastimes in America although only a fraction do overnight trips. Eventually I want to tackle one of the big three trails, probably the Pacific Crest Trail which runs 2700 miles from Mexico to Canada. Takes most people about six months.

In the next summer or two I plan to do the Colorado Trail, 468 miles from Denver to Durango.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I mountain bike, play soccer, ski (both water and snow), snowshoe in the winter, hike
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bouldering. It's a full-body workout and unlike with climbing, you don't need to have a buddy to secure you.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Planning on digging out the snow shoes this winter for the first time in 3 years.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Fox hunting. I still hurt today from Wednesday's three-hour hunt, and I didn't even jump my horse over anything.
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do this one once every other month and on my cardio day...I never do it where anyone else could see me though, lol. https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVp7wRWG7I
    This workout is from the 90s but OMG it's hard. I think I even wore a leotard once just for fun, lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upi51Fj0pSM