Have you ever had to give up on a workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am the type of guy that has gone and done chest or arms when I had a broken ankle or did legs when I had a neck/shoulder issue. I don't let things stop me anymore. However there is common sense. We all have to manage our health with sensibility. If your legitimately unable to work out then don't. If you need time to heal up then take it. This is about being healthy and sometimes that means sitting down and relaxing. It is a balance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yep. Fairly consistently at the moment, because chronic illness.

When I first started I was really upset about bailing on a workout (it was the first time) and one of my friends told me that sometimes workouts just suck and sometimes you have to call it and go home. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep coming back.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You don't give in when you're sick. You just have to save energy for recuperating then take a few steps back before you can go full force again.

This. I don't grasp the glorification of going to work or exercising when ill and thereby spreading all the nastiness to others. There's nothing badass in not listening to one's body.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    You don't give in when you're sick. You just have to save energy for recuperating then take a few steps back before you can go full force again.

This. I don't grasp the glorification of going to work or exercising when ill and thereby spreading all the nastiness to others. There's nothing badass in not listening to one's body.

I think in the beginning people fear falling off the wagon. I did. Like I thought if I missed one workout, even for legit reasons, I'd miss another and another and be sedentary again in no time. Which, that does happen to people, but like everything in life there has to be balance. There's nothing healthy about pushing too hard when ill. It took me awhile to learn that though.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I was around 25 weeks pregnant my ligaments were stretching or something, and I was in too much pain to continue my workout. Walking on the treadmill hurt, so I tried the stepper, then the elliptical, then the bike, and they all hurt, so I gave up and went home! Luckily the pain only lasted a week or so.

I've also cut a workout short before when my iPod died! I can't exercise with no music lol.
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Feeling unwell really isnt giving in, listen to your body and you will be back to it in no time.

Feel better
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    pffft... I've had to give up even when NOT sick. Starting out 360 pounds, It's not easy to keep up in a Step-aerobics class. I'd do the step for as much as I could then kick away the step and do the moves without.. THEN when I could no longer do that, I'd just walk through it.... I've also tried workouts WAAAAAY too advanced for me and gotten like 5 minutes into the warm up and said "screw it" and stopped completely. I see no reason to make myself miserable and half kill myself. If I'm going to stick with it, I have to ENJOY it. Working out too hard or when I'm sick is simply not enjoyable and would cause me to quit indefinitely.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Exactly. Rest now, you will recover/get better faster. Working out when legit sick is just foolishness. :#
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If you're honest with yourself and felt that you've pushed yourself to the limit and you still have to bail out of a workout? Sure, that's how you know where your current limits are, and can work on improving them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've also cut a workout short before when my iPod died! I can't exercise with no music lol.
    That's defo not a reason I'd cut a workout short. lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Totally. Many times - and I was being SMART. I was getting super light headed and the room was spinning and I had to stop squat day - so I just went in the dark yoga studio and took my time stretching and coming back to stable. Other times have been similar - it just happened to be too much for me at the moment. Eating regularly helps, especially getting enough protein and water and carbs that your body can process really quickly for energy. Listen to your body, but not if it's just whining :D
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Totally. Many times - and I was being SMART. I was getting super light headed and the room was spinning and I had to stop squat day - so I just went in the dark yoga studio and took my time stretching and coming back to stable. Other times have been similar - it just happened to be too much for me at the moment. Eating regularly helps, especially getting enough protein and water and carbs that your body can process really quickly for energy. Listen to your body, but not if it's just whining :D

This is the hard part for me. Knowing the difference. I'm getting better at it though.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    it definitely wasn't just whining.. lol
    i guess it hit home when i felt my head get hotter n hotter so i just caved in and let it be… ill be back at it in a couple of days I'm sure but for the next couple of days I'm deffo having a lie in.. lol
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Knee buckled one time. Had to stop short. Next day it was fine though, dunno what happened.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

This is the hard part for me. Knowing the difference. I'm getting better at it though.

Same here - its hard to know the difference.

Thanks for the comments on this thread. I had an awful workout on Tues when I pushed it too far and made myself quite unwell, and was then so frustrated and upset with myself for making an idiot of myself - again! It was very hard to return to the gym on Friday - but reading these comments reminded me not to give up!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    and how was Friday?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yes. I focus mainly on HR training and I couldn't get to my normal level. Figured my body was tired. stopped next day I was fine.