Not sure who to believe

Options
I recently had the opportunity to visit two doctors on the same day. (We only have one in our town.)
The problem is that when I get up, I feel really dizzy and my eyes go dark a few seconds.

One doctor said I should quit eating so much sugar. (I love sweets, but I'm not really THAT much over WEEKLY) The other one said I need to eat more salt because my blood pressure is low.

Now with the sugar, I've had a crash before. And I mean a HARD crash. Sugar in 'normal' (because a whole chocolate slab is normal for me to eat at once) quantities doesn't have ANY effect on me AT ALL. So I really have to eat A LOT to get a crash, and when I do its a BIG crash. My eyes go dark, my hearing fades, I can't control my body and need to lie down otherwise I'd just faint. This lasts a minute or so. I discovered this after a challenge I did with a friend.

Now this confuses me. Knowing how hard I crash on sugar I'm not sure if I should believe the one doctor who said I should cut out sugar or the one who said I should eat salt?? Which is it, sugar levels or blood pressure levels...?? :|

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor to find out.

You do realize posters here aren't going to give you quality medical advice... right? lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had a similar issue and it was low blood pressure. That's just me though. Did either of them actually do any tests? take your blood pressure or blood sugar?
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    The one who said it was my blood pressure actually tested it, the other one didn't, he just jumped straight to "Quit sugar immediately!"

I was a little confused because both the symptoms seems similar, except the sugar crash is much much worse.

And yes I do realize I won't get medical advice, just asking for opinions. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If it was me, and only if it was me, I'd address the low blood pressure because they actually tested. If it still happened, I might consider addressing the sugar thing. Except that I wouldn't, because that doctor sounds kinda full of it.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it may not matter which is more correct, because you should probably do both of those things.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you ask before you left the doctors rooms? Perhaps make another appointment with whichever you prefered and go back with some questions. Get your bloods done and blood pressure re-taken.

Otherwise mightn't do any harm to cut down on the sugar, add a little more salt and see how you feel.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure, but you need a new doctor! :#
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Many things can cause dizziness / blackouts. As already stated, you need to ask your doctor. The following are all common causes but they will require tests/blood work to establish if one of them is cause of your problems:

low blood pressure
    low blood sugar
    iron deficiency
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Toblave wrote: »
    Sounds like it may not matter which is more correct, because you should probably do both of those things.

Agreed. You're literally blacking out after consuming lots of sugar? If you were only doing that occasionally then I would be a bit wary of the quit sugar diagnosis but it's possible you've found out OP what too much sugar really can be.

I would get another appointment or doctor to explain all the mechanics of this and also possibly do my own research to understand how salt and sugar can contribute to these symptoms. Still need to couple personal research with an actual doc because while it makes you more informed, they can quickly rule out things that wouldn't apply to you, and if you have a good rapport with them they'll explain why it's not consistent with your personal history, too

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have similar reactions due to my low blood pressure...easily taken care of by staying hydrated....

As for the sugar eh...I eat a whole chocolate bar everynight and never have had issues.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have similar reactions due to my low blood pressure...easily taken care of by staying hydrated....

As for the sugar eh...I eat a whole chocolate bar everynight and never have had issues.

Question though. What's a whole bar? 200 calories or 2000 calories of the stuff? The sheer quantity might help explain the OP's issues

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Considering you didn't find out medically what your actual problem was then yes I would assume you wouldn't know who to believe, but asking here isn't going to magically make that answer appear.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Question though. What's a whole bar? 200 calories or 2000 calories of the stuff? The sheer quantity might help explain the OP's issues

A chocolate bar for me is 42grams...it's 260 calories I believe...

But at the same time the OP said they crashed after a challenage....do they often have sugar crashes such as that one...??? or was it just that one time?

Sugar crashes happen to lots of people even those who eat too much fruit....it's a common occurance for those who eat something at mid day to help them through the rest of the day...

I doubt very much that the OP eats sugar so much that they are having that reaction all the time...the most reasonable explaination is the blood pressure...not sugar (unless they are a diabetic)
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem since I was a kid (I actually passed out and woke up on the floor). I also have very low blood pressure and I feel the same way from going to a seated/laying position to standing.

Google orthostatic hypertension - this should give you a good idea, then decide if you would need to seek additional medical treatment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How did you happen to see two doctors? Do they have different specialties? It seems odd to diagnose based on as little info as they seem to have had.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Only because the doctor jumping on sugar didn't actually do any kind of examination, I'd be inclined to listen to the one who said low blood pressure -- you know, because he actually checked our blood pressure.

I would go back to him and ask for a full physical with labs, though. What you describe about "crashing" from eating sugar is a new one to me ... The faintness when getting up, though, sounds like LBP. However, it could be a number of other things, as well.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I recently had the opportunity to visit two doctors on the same day. (We only have one in our town.)
    The problem is that when I get up, I feel really dizzy and my eyes go dark a few seconds.

One doctor said I should quit eating so much sugar. (I love sweets, but I'm not really THAT much over WEEKLY) The other one said I need to eat more salt because my blood pressure is low.

Now with the sugar, I've had a crash before. And I mean a HARD crash. Sugar in 'normal' (because a whole chocolate slab is normal for me to eat at once) quantities doesn't have ANY effect on me AT ALL. So I really have to eat A LOT to get a crash, and when I do its a BIG crash. My eyes go dark, my hearing fades, I can't control my body and need to lie down otherwise I'd just faint. This lasts a minute or so. I discovered this after a challenge I did with a friend.

Now this confuses me. Knowing how hard I crash on sugar I'm not sure if I should believe the one doctor who said I should cut out sugar or the one who said I should eat salt?? Which is it, sugar levels or blood pressure levels...?? :|

I would put to you that both Doctors' advice should be heeded or at least investigated as they are both sides of the same coin.

Neither doctor's assessment is 'sugar' vs. 'salt'.

I didn't know I was Diabetic but looking back, I can see that the Insulin Resistance that precedes it, was clearly happening.

About the sugar thing, 'highs follow lows'...in other words, if there is a breakdown in the signalling system somewhere, your blood sugar can go high, then bottom out and go very low. It should be noted that this does NOT happen to everyone. Just because you eat sweet things, doesn't mean you will have this issue.

As a matter of fact, the body is very efficient at making sure this does NOT happen. It's only a problem, when it's a problem -__-

This rebound isn't really complicated to explain, but outside of the scope of this post for now. I don't know anything about your medical history, your doctors had access to that information & both may be trying to tell you something.

Those who have uncontrolled blood sugar problems, also generally have high blood pressure. If you don't know these current numbers A1c, BP, BG, FBG, there's no way to access your risk or current situation.

Again, I'm not saying this is happening to you. However, I would say for sure, you should do some research and see if any of this applies to you. Bloodsugar101.com is a great place to start, click on the link that says something like 'how diabetes develops'.

Also, people with blood sugar issues need to watch carbs specifically, sugar is a carb.

Good luck.

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I can eat 6 cupcakes and be fine. I can eat 200g of chocolate and be fine. I can eat a whole can of caramel and be fine. Or a whole pint of ice cream. But not on the same day.

The challenge I had with my friend had us eat A LOT of sugar. I myself ate a whole cake with frosting, 400g chocolate, half a tray of fudge and a 200g of cookies. I got sick later that night, after which the blackout followed. Next day I was fine.

I do have anemia so I suppose that can contribute. But that's why I said it takes a lot of sugar to have any effect on me. So I don't know I don't eat as much as that challenge everyday. My weekly goal is never more than 100-200g over if it's over at all.

I guess I can also understand the low BP because looking at my diary, for weeks and weeks I have never once hit sodium. I don't even hit half (it's because I cook my own food) and I drink tons of water.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Also these doctors are not my own. The one back in my town is, but he's old and doesn't give much attention to you and also asks a lot of money for the 5 minutes half diagnose he gives you.

I was visiting someone away from home, and she suggested I should try their doctors. I've never went to the Dr with this problem believe it or not, but she noticed it when I got up and advised me to go. So actually they don't really know anything about me.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Also these doctors are not my own. The one back in my town is, but he's old and doesn't give much attention to you and also asks a lot of money for the 5 minutes half diagnose he gives you.

I was visiting someone away from home, and she suggested I should try their doctors. I've never went to the Dr with this problem believe it or not, but she noticed it when I got up and advised me to go. So actually they don't really know anything about me.

And neither do we.

All we can do is offer you a tidbit here or there if you care to investigate.
    Good luck.