Not sure who to believe

Options
13»

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Did you have your BP taken laying, sitting, and standing? To see if it drops when you get up?

No it was just taken while laying down. In which it was already quite low.

Does that make a difference? :worried:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Are you a teen? My teen had this problem. Doctors said it's common in teens and often they just need to drink more. He also said if that didn't help the next check would be for anemia.

In your shoes, I would drink more, try more sodium, try less sugar and get more iron.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Perhaps you're just looking for someone to tell you to keep eating crazy amounts of chocolate???

Not really. It's just the sugar diagnose was out of place. The reason I listed the challenge and the sugar blackout was to explain how much it would actually take to give me the symptoms I'm experiencing.

I don't eat that much and I don't have any symptoms whatsoever from eating 100g of chocolate. There's no energy surge and no slump either.

But the sugar doctor said I had to eliminate all sugar (even fruit) and it didn't make sense to me because of that.

The point here is that if you were not having any sugar issues there would be no reason to pass out. If you were having No insulin pancreatic challenges your body would have corrected itself pretty quickly and you would never have experienced any symptoms other than being sick to your stomach from the overdose. Obviously, your body is having some sugar issues. It can't bounce back quickly enough. A normal person would not feel dizzy or black out. Their pancreas would shoot out enough insulin very quickly to cover the carbs. Yours shot out way too much, which is what probably brought your blood sugar dangerously low. Low blood sugar causes you to feel dizzy or pass out. Low blood sugar causes a great deal of unseen organ damage. Probably not the best thing in the world to undertake these "challenges".... especially since you obviously have sugar issues. If I were you, I would listen to the doctor. Just cut out all sugar and fruit for a little while and hope your body can recover. There are things going on inside you that you can neither see nor feel. Damage is damage.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Gentyl wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Perhaps you're just looking for someone to tell you to keep eating crazy amounts of chocolate???

Not really. It's just the sugar diagnose was out of place. The reason I listed the challenge and the sugar blackout was to explain how much it would actually take to give me the symptoms I'm experiencing.

I don't eat that much and I don't have any symptoms whatsoever from eating 100g of chocolate. There's no energy surge and no slump either.

But the sugar doctor said I had to eliminate all sugar (even fruit) and it didn't make sense to me because of that.

The point here is that if you were not having any sugar issues there would be no reason to pass out. If you were having No insulin pancreatic challenges your body would have corrected itself pretty quickly and you would never have experienced any symptoms other than being sick to your stomach from the overdose. Obviously, your body is having some sugar issues. It can't bounce back quickly enough. A normal person would not feel dizzy or black out. Their pancreas would shoot out enough insulin very quickly to cover the carbs. Yours shot out way too much, which is what probably brought your blood sugar dangerously low. Low blood sugar causes you to feel dizzy or pass out. Low blood sugar causes a great deal of unseen organ damage. Probably not the best thing in the world to undertake these "challenges".... especially since you obviously have sugar issues. If I were you, I would listen to the doctor. Just cut out all sugar and fruit for a little while and hope your body can recover. There are things going on inside you that you can neither see nor feel. Damage is damage.

Which I true...I think....

But that's not the problem. The challenge was a while ago... in February. As I said, I mentioned it to him after he told me it's sugar. The reason I went to him, was because I experience dizziness and temporary blindness when standing up EVERY DAY. I DO NOT eat sugar every day. And especially not in those amounts.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Get a new doctor and explain your symptoms and get a full physical including blood work.

Agreed. If it's possible that this is a blood sugar issue, you want that pinned down and treated. Of course it's possible that you have both blood sugar issues and low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension, playing up at different times.

And get a doc who will listen. I had an ER doc write off my first seizure as low blood sugar/panic attack - sugar issue not tested for or followed up on - since I'd had several pieces of cake the night before. I'm not saying it's any way related, just that some docs suck and as a young woman it can be even harder to get them to listen to you.

Question - the time you thought it might be sugar, were you OK after laying down for a minute or did you have to eat something to feel better? Think over the episodes you've had and write down details for the doctor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor and explain your symptoms and get a full physical including blood work.

Well...look at the big brain on you...LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Well...look at the big brain on you...LOL

glasses-12.gif
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    brodi3man wrote: »
    Orthostatic hypotension ?

Have you had this happen before when standing suddenly? It happens to me quite frequently - my doctor said to sit up or stand up slowly and I wouldn't have the blood pressure drop.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have a very difficult time believing you saw two different doctors to complain of dizziness when rising and both immediately attributed the cause to your diet...and that one didn't even take your BP.

If that is true, you have stumbled onto like the world's two worst doctors ever and need to find another.

There are many reasons people get dizzy when standing up. Just so many. When people are dieting, the obvious first choice would be that they aren't eating enough, but it has to be investigated, all the same.

Get a new doctor. Good luck.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue for as long as I can remember. Cause? Low blood pressure. What helps? Try not to be so still when sitting for long periods of time. A few seconds before you have to get up, tap your toes or something to get some blood flowing.

The dizziness and blacking out/roaring in your ears sensations are the blood trying to get up to your head quickly enough from standing up so fast. I don't eat a lot of foods with sodium, but I do salt homemade dishes....oh and I eat chocolate everyday. Tapping my toes seems to do the trick. :)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how old you are, OP. A sugar challenge?? That just doesn't seem like something an adult would do. What was the purpose of the challenge?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have an issue where when I stand up, I can get pretty dizzy, sometimes lose sight and hearing, feel hot etc. Any doctor I've ever asked has told me it's due to low blood pressure. My Mumm has the same problem. One thing that seems to help is for me to drink a recovery/hydration drink if I'm doing an intense workout. I think sometimes I sweat so much my mineral balance gets off.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    so you cant eat less sugar and eat more salt? they are not mutually exclusive :)
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    Do you have an at-home glucose monitor? Where you prick your finger and see what your current glucose level is? Sounds like that would be a worthy investment for you.

You can use it to see what your fasting glucose is BUT you can also use it to see how a particular meal affects glucose level spikes, by testing before on an empty stomach, then at 15 minute intervals for about 90 minutes after you eat a particular food. That can yield some really fascinating information!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

The problem I guess is just really that the first doctor just told me outright to quit sugar before he knew about the challenge or anything. Just by listening to my symptoms. It was really confusing, because his suggestion technically wasn't based on anything. :neutral_face:
    Are you a doctor? Then how do you know it wasn't based on anything? Maybe he has patients who report the same symptoms and who do well cutting down on sugar. Just because he didn't adequately explain his recommendation to you (which he probably should have done) doesn't mean it's bad advice. If you don't understand something a doctor tells you, it's your job to ask questions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I can eat 6 cupcakes and be fine. I can eat 200g of chocolate and be fine. I can eat a whole can of caramel and be fine. Or a whole pint of ice cream. But not on the same day.

The challenge I had with my friend had us eat A LOT of sugar. I myself ate a whole cake with frosting, 400g chocolate, half a tray of fudge and a 200g of cookies. I got sick later that night, after which the blackout followed. Next day I was fine.

You should think about that. You eat enough confections to put a horse into shock, yet feel no reaction? Oh boy.

If you're actually being legit here, I would strongly suggest fixing your diet, before nature does that for you.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    brodi3man wrote: »
    Orthostatic hypotension ?

Have you had this happen before when standing suddenly? It happens to me quite frequently - my doctor said to sit up or stand up slowly and I wouldn't have the blood pressure drop.

Happens to me all the time. I've never fainted but i've seen black for split seconds.