Options

Replies

• BlueEyesAllDay
    Options
    Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Check out the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very informative and has a laid out weight lifting plan.

^^^^^^^^ THIS THIS THIS!!

It is an excellent program, especially for someone who has experience lifting and wants to take it to the next level.

Don't write your own program, I wouldn't recommend it when there are so many good ones out there already.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Check out the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very informative and has a laid out weight lifting plan.

It is an excellent program, especially for someone who has experience lifting and wants to take it to the next level.

Don't write your own program, I wouldn't recommend it when there are so many good ones out there already.

Totally agree and totally love this book!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Lots of recommendations for this book!! I'm definitely checking it out!! :)
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    WTF is Bumping?

Free weights all the way. Resistance machines second fave. Body bands, stability balls, etc. Weight machines suck.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this and for all the comments!
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this and for all the comments!

No problem! I went searching the forums and was amazed that this question didn't seem to have been asked outright. It's definitely helpful hearing all of the different approaches to training and I appreciate all the input as well. :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I was going to type it all out, but really I just do this: http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

All my exercises are with free weights. I can hit every muscle group, but sometimes I do wish I had some machines or at least a powerrack for some of the leg exercises. For example, it's getting very hard to hold on to the heavy dumbbells when trying to max out on squats or calf raises.

That looks like it would take hours???
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was going to type it all out, but really I just do this: http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

All my exercises are with free weights. I can hit every muscle group, but sometimes I do wish I had some machines or at least a powerrack for some of the leg exercises. For example, it's getting very hard to hold on to the heavy dumbbells when trying to max out on squats or calf raises.

That looks like it would take hours???

About 45-55 minutes on strength training days and 24 minutes on cardio days (it's a 19 minute cardio, but i add a 5 minute cooldown).
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    About 45-55 minutes on strength training days and 24 minutes on cardio days (it's a 19 minute cardio, but i add a 5 minute cooldown).

Taso rocks! He's a wealth of information and he's done an awesome job! :) Sorry if you get a million friend requests now, taso! :laugh:

yes, this was a shameless bump, lol, but I also meant what I said. :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My curent routine,

Day 1;
    Lunges 5X5
    Hack Squats 5X5
    Leg Curls 5X5

Day 2;
    Bench Press 5X5
    Neutral Grip Pull-Ups 10X10 (5X5 if weightd)
    Sit-Ups 2Xmax

Day 3;
    Pull overs 5X8
    Curls 5X5
    Military Press 5X5

Day 4- Off

Day 5
    Deadlifts Sets of 3 to max/failure
    Sit-Ups- 2Xmax

Day 6- Off

My warm up is 1 20 rep set of each exercise with really low weight. After completion of each excersise I do one extra set to failure. Then stretch like crazy and bike, or run, or whatever cardio i feel like for 30 minutes. Then I stretch again. This is all with free weights. I usually need some one to help with the leg curls. Its pretty tough to pick up a dumbell with your feet!
  • kimnmia
    kimnmia Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I do this one plus some exercises from The New Rules of Lifting for Abs. Both are AMAZING books and go into a lot of detail about workouts and getting the right nutrition to make your workouts worth it!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Do you only lift weights or do you do plyometrics training or other training using your own body weight. I do a lot of circuits using my own body weight. I also include weights; it depends what I am doing. You should check out my forums and bodyrock.tv! That will help you! I will be you any money (just kidding im poor) you will love them!!
  • bbygrl5
    Options
    @koosdel: Thank you for taking the time to type that out!! It's very helpful to see what people do specifically!! THANK YOU!!!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks ladies! Helpful info. I will definitely check out your forums urbinachick :smile:
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

have you tried wrist straps? or even chalk?
    i actually stopped using my wrist straps for rows, deadlifts, etc and use chalk now and can pull even more weight than when i was using the straps
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

have you tried wrist straps? or even chalk?
    i actually stopped using my wrist straps for rows, deadlifts, etc and use chalk now and can pull even more weight than when i was using the straps

Thanks, I will look into chalk. I have tried straps before but they were kind of awkward. Maybe because my dumbbells aren't standard; they're adjustable Powerblock dumbbels.
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Note:
    * My workout usually varies from this as I don't like to wait for weights/equipment, and my leg workout isn't as intensive when I'm running consistently.
    *I usually practice supersets or work two different muscle groups with no rest period (other than walking from one location to another) to make my workouts fit my limited schedule.
    * 3 sets of each exercise 6-8 or 10-12 reps depending on if I'm lifting heavy that day
    Day 1:
    Tri/Bi
    1)
    Bicep Curl w/ EZ bar
    Tricep push down on cable machine

2)
    Rope Curl (Hammer Curl motion) on cable machine
    Skull Crushers

3)
    Isolation curl with dumbbell or 21s with EZ bar
    Tricep kickback with dumbbell

4)
    Varies (I like to try exercises that I have read about or watched others do.)

Day 2: Chest/Back

1)
    Barbell bench press
    Deadlift

2)
    Incline chest press
    Face pulls on cable machine

3)
    Decline chest press
    Lat pull down

4)
    Chest fly machine
    Seated row on cable machine

Day 3: Legs/Butt

1) Barbell squat
    2) Hamstring curl machine
    3) Walking lunges with dumbbells or step ups with dumbbells
    4) Weighted pelvic bridge thing

Day 4: Shoulders/Abs

1)
    Shoulder press with dumbbells
    Decline sit ups while holding weight plate

2)
    Side Lateral dumbbell raises
    Decline sit ups with twist while holding weight plate

3)
    Front Lateral dumbbell raises
    Hanging knee or leg raises

4)
    Dumbbell Shrugs
    Planks
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I totally need to up the strength training as I'm doing next to nothing (Last Chance Workout 1-2x per week). Looking forward to suggestions and advice!
  • Jill_Clemmons
    Options
    i do the "Group Power" class with free weights. Classes like that are fun because you do the routine to music and get to know the people in the group over time. If you are new to something like that, the instructors are usually very helpful to make sure you don't accidentally lift wrong and injure yourself.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Note:
    * My workout usually varies from this as I don't like to wait for weights/equipment, and my leg workout isn't as intensive when I'm running consistently.
    *I usually practice supersets or work two different muscle groups with no rest period (other than walking from one location to another) to make my workouts fit my limited schedule.
    * 3 sets of each exercise 6-8 or 10-12 reps depending on if I'm lifting heavy that day
    Day 1:
    Tri/Bi
    1)
    Bicep Curl w/ EZ bar
    Tricep push down on cable machine
    2)
    Rope Curl (Hammer Curl motion) on cable machine
    Skull Crushers
    3)
    Isolation curl with dumbbell or 21s with EZ bar
    Tricep kickback with dumbbell
    4)
    Varies (I like to try exercises that I have read about or watched others do.)

Day 2: Chest/Back
    1)
    Barbell bench press
    Deadlift
    2)
    Incline chest press
    Face pulls on cable machine
    3)
    Decline chest press
    Lat pull down
    4)
    Chest fly machine