What do you do to make exercise fun?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Ahrena
    Ahrena Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Rinny73 wrote: »
    Easy! I don't 'exercise,' I play. I dance around the house, hoola hoop, ride my bike, try to climb stuff, fall off stuff. I roller skate with my husband. Hang on to my husband's arm for dear life because I can't roller skate. There's a studio near my place that offers aerial silk classes. I'm thinking of signing up for that. I do yoga too, but I consider that more meditative than horsing around. I also consider regular exercise as playing too. I like lifting weights because I like the thought of myself overcoming limits and getting stronger.

Definitely give silks a go - take it from me, you won't regret it!
    -
  • crissyhallig
    Options
    Daydream! Am I the only one? Hahaha.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You gotta be motivated. You have to want to do it. You have to want the results and revel in the challenge. People who stick with it figure this out because they have it within themselves.

I don't think you can trick your way to success.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm in the exercise haters club. What I did is find something I hate less.

I don't dance, I never have, tried zumba, 2 left feet and a "what the heck is this" kind of feeling. Tried weightlifting, did not enjoy it one bit. Group classes were a dud for me, I don't particularly like having people around me when I exercise. The only exercise I enjoy is swimming, but at a very leisurely pace, so it barely burns any calories and I don't have a steady access to a pool.

Tried walking outside, more stressful than relaxing since I live in a busy city with no trails, isolated routes or natural scenery. Having to avoid cars or bumping into people was not appealing, neither was sweating my butt off and chugging my water in the streets in a place where exercise walking is not common and I get these "what's wrong with her" looks.. until I remembered that a few years back I visited a gym and thought treadmill was alright...

I ran out and bought a treadmill! Yes I know.. one of the most dreaded machines for most people. Walked a couple of times.. nop, too boring. I would rather read a book. Wait a minute! I can do both! So I bought a bunch of audiobooks I was dying to read and would only allow myself to listen to them while incline walking on a treadmill, in the comfort of my own home, with a towel and a big bottle of water at my disposal. I now actually look forward to exercising, especially when I get to an exciting part in a book.

I also introduced some body weight exercise. Just 5-10 minutes of them every day. I mean everyone can tolerate 5-10 minutes right? I do a couple of sets of one exercise each day gradually changing to more challenging moves: pushups, squats, (attempted) pull ups, bridges, planks and leg raises.

Moral of the story, try a lot of things, find something that you think is the most tolerable and then tweak it to make it even more tolerable. It doesn't have to be anything fancy and may even be something other people find boring. Experimentation is the key.
  • ClassyxInxCamo
    ClassyxInxCamo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make a random play list and run/walk to the beat of the song. Dub Step is the best!!