My boyfriend doesnt want me to be "too skinny"

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you cant get "too big" you are a woman. the only way you would get huge is if you used steroids,HGH,etc. A woman is not going to bulk up like a man because our bodies do not make that much testosterone and other things needed to make that much muscle.
    here's the thing.
    My fiance doesn't want me to lift and get "too big" so you know what. I don't talk to him about about my goals or workouts anymore.

So I've gained muscle and he hasn't said a word.

Do your thing. It's not his business unless you make it his business.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of pounds between 230 and 120. If you are 5'4"/5'5" you'll likely start to be in "regular" sized clothes starting at around 190-210 pounds and you'll be able to shop at nearly all major stores at 170. I'm 235 and I'm wearing a non plus size XL in many tops and skirts now (skirts that fit my waist but have lots of space for my bum and lower belly)
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    When you have this much weight to lose, 120 is such an arbitrary number. There's a lot that goes on in between those two weights. You might find you love being 180, 150, 160. Just get to work! The closer you get and more goals you make, you understand more where your body wants to, and should go.

I agree 100% with this.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 6'9, 230 lbs is an unhealthy BMI. Even if you have no symptoms, that weight puts you at risk for all number of health problems down the line. If your boyfriend cares about you in the long run, he should prioritize health.

That said, he may just be saying that 230 is good to try to be encouraging. He probably doesn't want to come off as a jerk.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol wut? :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:

Just break up.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    He wants you to weigh 230? 230 (unless you're like 7' tall) is in no way healthy. Go with what makes you happy but don't get too fixated on numbers (though I think it's important to have goals).
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds and when I hit 20 my bf at the time told me he liked me the way I was before and that I shouldn't lose anymore weight because HE wouldn't like it.

It wasn't the only reason, but it was the last straw and I broke up with him. He would always make comments, I miss the old you when you would actually eat good things with me .. you know like McDonalds and subs and pizza EVERY MEAL. Some people don't handle change well.

Do what makes you happy and see how he reacts.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I say don't worry about it until you begin to get closer to that number. Really it's silly to fight about now when it could easily be a year before you lose that much weight.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    My dream weight is 120, my boyfriend told me thats way to small and he likes me to be healthy and lower my weight to 230 (thats how much i weighed when i first met him), honestly i dont mind 230 but im tired of shopping at layne bryant for clothes because they are so expensive!!!

I think 120 will be nice because i will look better, im going into the healthcare field and i dont want to feel embarrassed of my weight and when my daughter gets older i dont want her to be embarrassed of me because im obese.

Do you think 120 is too small?

I have had boyfriends who have told me that but sometimes there just trying to make you feel good about yourself tbh xxx
  • ShannonS921
    Options
    When you have this much weight to lose, 120 is such an arbitrary number. There's a lot that goes on in between those two weights. You might find you love being 180, 150, 160. Just get to work! The closer you get and more goals you make, you understand more where your body wants to, and should go.

^^^^THIS.

Good luck!!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be an optimist since I think we've already seen the negative views on this thread about how your SO could be trying to control you, or worried you may become more attractive and decide to leave him etc.

We all have preferences in how we like our mates to look, and your SO could legitimately prefer women who are near the 230lb range. You should really talk to him about it and explain that you would really like to get to a point where you're healthy and that you want to keep the lines of communication open between you two. If you're in a long term relationship, or one where you see potential for marriage or another large commitment, his opinion does to a degree matter.

When I met my boyfriend I was the lowest weight I've ever been (which is about 4lbs less than I've managed to get back down to now) and when I was talking about still wanting to lose weight before I "fell off the wagon" he was legitimately concerned because he likes bigger, curvier women but he's realized as I've lost weight the second time around, that it's made such a big difference in my confidence, how I hold myself, and how I perceive my body and that is the best thing that could have happened for our relationship. He does still make jokes about making sure I don't lose my booty, but he's pretty happy with my continuing to lose weight, and I've made it clear that if I start to get to a point where his attraction to me is diminishing that I'd like him to vocalize that. It doesn't necessarily mean that I would stop losing weight, but I get the feeling it'd be a good healthy check for me.

That being said, I don't know how you came up with the 120 number or how realistic that is for you since I don't know your body fat percentage, your frame size, your height etc but remember that a number on the scale doesn't matter nearly as much as your health and how you feel about yourself. At 5'6 my own goal is 25lbs above yours.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal - are you doing this for him or for you? Point is, as others have said, there's a good chance he'll still think you're hot under 230. And you'll be able to stop shopping at Lane Bryant well before you get to 120. Take it one step at a time.

When I started at 260, I told my husband I wnated to lose 100 pounds - his reply? Why not try to get down to 120? Totally clueless - as a 5'7" woman with a medium/large frame, I'd literally be skin and bones. But he had a girlfriend at that weight when he was younger so he pulled it out of his brain not really knowing the difference.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The beauty of weigh is that your choices aren't either 120 or 230. There's a lot of weights in between. So start losing because 230 is an unhealthy weight for you, and see how you feel as you lose.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that 230 pounds is not healthy… unless you are 6'10"+ (which I highly doubt). Perhaps your boyfriend needs some education on what a healthy weight is for someone of your height.
  • syarberry1013
    Options
    Do whatever makes YOU happy! Your happiness comes first!! and if your boyfriend truly only cares about your happiness then he won't care what weight makes you happy.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would stop focusing on a goal weight number, and just work towards getting healthy. The BMI chart is a good place to start with finding a goal weight range, and remember that some healthy people fall off either side of the "normal" range.

No one knows what's happening in your boyfriend's head when he suggests 230, but I wouldn't fuss too much over that conversation. Just work on losing weight in a healthy fashion, because anyone who loves you wants you to be healthy.