Atkins Diet Revisited

Options

Replies

• mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've heard people complain that right after they did the Atkins they fell off of it afterwards. Maybe diets don't generally work for some people but if it's something you like doing I don't see it being a big issue. I could honestly see myself eating meats, veggies, eggs and cheese for years.

I have been on Atkins the past 2 weeks and am finally seeing some results. It all depends on your food preferences. Personally, I don't miss processed foods or starches at all. Ignore the haters and do what works for you. Good luck. B)

• AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mckat08 wrote: »

I have been on Atkins the past 2 weeks and am finally seeing some results. It all depends on your food preferences. Personally, I don't miss processed foods or starches at all. Ignore the haters and do what works for you. Good luck. B)

That's awesome! So you must have already gotten past the induction phase, right? Did you do the ketosis sticks and such? I'm glad you're seeing results! The first 14 days are pretty rough.
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    ON HERE, Atkins and low carb eating plans are shunned because it's apparently bad to do anything other than IIFYM. I've been doing keto for over a year. I find eating this way easy and delicious. If I know I'm going to be going out to eat, I look up the menus online and pre-select a low carb meal. SOME people can't sustain this way of eating and that's fine. But for some to say that it can't be sustained in general, that is just not true.

What does IIFYM stand for again? I'm sorry, I'm still a little new to the community and learning all the lingo.

That's pretty impressive that you've been doing the ketosis thing for over a whole year. I hear mixed things about how healthy it is to be doing it for very long because high levels of ketones are toxic to the body and ketosis itself has different interesting side effects that I'm still learning about. It hasn't prevented me from following the induction portion of the diet, however.

• AlanaTedmon
    Options
    mckat08 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't miss processed foods or starches at all. Ignore the haters and do what works for you. Good luck. B)

I love that I've been able to wean myself off of noodles and breads finally. I was pretty addicted to sweets and pastries. I had a hard time showing any kind of self restraint whenever coworkers brought brownies and cake to the break room.
    Thanks a bunch, likewise!
  • AlanaTedmon
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I think it's generally smart to try and avoid really high-carb foods if you're conscientious of your weight.

Why?
    Because they're addictive if you have a sweet tooth like me, lol.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    As in my long post, the only way to lose weight is to spend time in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit. You can get there through fasting, through exercise, or through a totally or predominantly fat-protein diet.

Very simple.

If it's "very simple", why do you keep getting it wrong?

Your body is ALWAYS in fat burning mode. The bigger your deficit, the more fat it'll burn. The bigger the surplus, the less fat it will burn.

There is no switch.

Well, obviously we are talking about the aggregate metabolic characteristics of the majority of the human body's 100 trillion cells at any one point in time.

But I suppose if you want to be difficult, that is as reasonably post as any.
    lol.............I guess you showed him with all that cell volume talk.......trillions, very scary.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What does IIFYM stand for again? I'm sorry, I'm still a little new to the community and learning all the lingo.

If It Fits Your Macros - the concept that any old mix of foods and drink is OK providing it turns out to have the right % of carbs, fat and protein in total.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why would I if I don't feel it's necessary? I like eating bagels, ice cream, pizza, rice etc.

I understand that from your profile. I'm curious to get solid first-hand information from people who've had experience with this particular diet.

Atkins is now my way of life. When it is done correctly, there is no food that is off limit. You climb up the carb ladder adding them back slowly and seeing how you react to them. I occasionally have cereal for breakfast (I'm on Pre-Maintenance, Phase 3) or a potato with dinner. The key is to do it correctly and find your personal carb limit.

Why is it when people try to eliminate junk like bread, bagels, chips, candy, baked goods they are looked at ascance? It's a far healthier lifestyle without them.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why is it when people try to eliminate junk like bread, bagels, chips, candy, baked goods they are looked at ascance? It's a far healthier lifestyle without them.

I had no idea bread, bagels and baked goods were junk...
  • J72FIT
    edited October 2014
    Options
    the only way to lose weight is to spend time in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit.

Spend time in the fat-burning mode BY running a calorie deficit...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    the only way to lose weight is to spend time in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit.

Spend time in the fat-burning mode BY running a calorie deficit...

Point of clarification.

You can be in the fat burning mode by eating only fat and protein. If you ingest enough calories through the protein and fat that you eat, then you will gain fat.

So you can be in the fat burning mode and gain weight.

Wether you fast, exercise or eat a predominantly fat-protein diet... fat burning mode or not, if you are not running a calorie deficit you will not lose fat. At the end of the day, calories are still King...
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I learned that u can eat anything. The keyword is 'moderation'. There r times where I go to reno for a whole weekend and I'm off the diet because i'm pigging out at the buffet and whatever else restaurants are around. I don't even do any extra cardio exercise to burn off the cals. When I get home I just return to my diet like nothing ever happen and I'm still losing weight.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I following a hi protein, moderate carb diet not a hi-protein-locarb diet. I eat a good 130g of carbs per day. Low carb would be 60g of carb per day.
  • Misflt
    Misflt Posts: 1
    Options
    Most people have been raised in an age of lies from everyone and everything they read. The human body is conditioned for a high protein high fat diet with some ruffage thrown in. This is why the paleo diet is similar to Atkins. Our Human ancestors did not have the ability to refine sugar and up until 1900 or so, sugar was expensive, so, it wasn't in most store bought foods. Thats why Granny got good at making desserts, they weren't pre-made in store's. Sugar was a reward back then. Now, it is a constant part of most people's diets.

When you read the comments you have received, what is the common reason people say they don't like Atkin's?? Because once you go back to a regular diet, you gain it all back. Well, Atkin's isn't a diet, it is a life long lifestyle change that requires a life long commitment. Once you are finished with the weight loss portion of atkins, you enter into maintenance. You then are allowed SOME carbs back into your diet. Some meaning any carb you want, just in moderation. You slowly add carbs back into your diet at first, in maintenance, until you stop losing or gain a pound. Once you know how many carbs you can eat a week without gaining anything back, that is your number from then on.

The people responding to you that don't like Atkin's, don't like the idea of not being able to go back to the foods they love. You say you were raised on the Atkins diet, so, those are the foods you like and crave and you will find it easy to stay on it. The others most likely will yoyo diet all their life, because they keep trying to get to where they can go back to a 6 pack of coke and whole pizza in one day, along with cookies and ice cream. We humans aren't meant to eat that much refined sugar and all those carbs.

If you subscribe to evolution, you understand that humans were hunters in our earlier hominid forms, we were just about 100% meat eaters with fruit and veg in our diet when it was growing wild, meaning available seasonally. Then, our ancestors shifted to growing food and still hunting, our diet became a bit more balanced, whole grains were the main supplement to our meat. We stayed that way for a long long time, until sugar became cheap and abundant.

Scientists, one in particular, developed the food pyramid. He did so while being funded by the Government. He pretty much over night changed how our optimal diet was perceived by most scientists and more importantly, the Government. From then on, starches and grains were the most important part of our diet and fats were out. This is when sugars were introduced, to help make a grain based diet more tasty, this is also when we as a whole, started getting fat. The weight epidemic is immediately traceable to the development of Government food guidelines. There is a great movie that covers the subject and more on youtube, called "Fathead the movie" watch it, its educational, common sense and informative. It was made to be a response to that idiot morgan spurlock and his film that bashed McDonald's, in doing research for the film, he learned a lot and proved Spurlock lied about eating McDonalds daily killing you. Spurlock doesn't mention a few things in his film, like he FORCED himself to drink a supersized coke EVERY meal and ate a dessert every dinner and large sized his fries or hashbrowns every meal. Nobody eats like that every meal, so, of course it would kill you, your eating damn near 10k calories and using not one iota of common sense.

Watch the film, it explains how low fat, low protein diets many vegans and vegetarians try to eat, can cause depression. This is because the brain is mostly fat and the fuel it uses is saturated fat, the kind you get from meat. Without these fats, people get depressed and turn to sugar to get a pick me up, its like a drug, it increases dopamine and makes you feel better. It also increases your insulin, insulin breaks down sugar and makes it turn IMMEDIATELY into fat.

This is why, IF you can get onto a low carb diet and make it work, you will lose weight and be happy and feel good. No sugar is allowed on Atkins and as we all know, starches are carbs and also forbidden when in induction and in weight loss phase. This is because starches convert to sugar in the body, which are converted into fat by insulin and other enzymes.

I myself was on Atkins for 7 weeks and i lost 41 pounds, I was killing it!!! Then I stopped, got to drinking beer and liquor with friends and leading a party lifestyle. I gained it all back. It works, so keep on if you like it. I am just getting back to trying to lose and I have a long long LONG way to go. Gotta start somewhere, learn to crawl before you walk, yadda yadda.... I'll be fighting for my life now, it's do or die, I am that big and in that bad of health. I'll be doing my own hybrid low carb diet where I avoid lots of carbs, but not all and try to avoid ALL sugar.

The movie is "Fathead" check it out!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Misflt wrote: »
    Most people have been raised in an age of lies from everyone and everything they read. The human body is conditioned for a high protein high fat diet with some ruffage thrown in. This is why the paleo diet is similar to Atkins.

Stopped there. The human body is conditioned to eat whatever is available around. Be it meat, fat, vegetables, grains, fruits.. etc. If doughnuts grew on trees I'll bet my hat that our human ancestors would have eaten them.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You can be in the fat burning mode by eating only fat and protein. If you ingest enough calories through the protein and fat that you eat, then you will gain fat.

So you can be in the fat burning mode and gain weight.

If heart rate stays below (say) 120 bpm are we not always oxidising fat to some extent ? Doesn't the resting RER tend to be around 0.85 (+/- 0.05) ?

F2.large.jpg