The Starvation Mode Myth...again.

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I read a study that said Biggest Loser contestants did indeed lower their metabolisms for the long term even though they did retain some muscle because of the weight training.

They did have a reduction in metabolic rate but not as bad as that paper made out and certainly not enough to prevent them losing weight - their TDEEs were over 3000 from memory.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    alereck wrote: »
    alereck wrote: »
    Totally off topic but..... Does it annoy anyone else when people keep quoting the entire original post as if we don't know what they are responding to?

No because only the last post in the quote shows, unless you choose to click into 'show previous quotes'

You didn't get what I was trying to say. Instead of simply replying to the "original post" they click on quote and then reply underneath. I'm not talking about quoting someone else who has added some information.

But again, I post what is on my mind and I get what I deserve....

oh ok I see what you mean.

I do it sometimes though - helps to have OP post there if you are adressing specific points in it.

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yeah "Steve" you still don't seem to get that you have no credibility, and that no one is taking you even the slightest bit seriously. You're using someone else's picture, we have no idea what you look like, and you have absolutely no qualifications to be giving advice to other people. You read one textbook, and apparently that was a huge feat for you because you feel the need to tell everyone constantly. So, good for you, you read a textbook, I've read lots of them lol and I'm sure so have many people here.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    And saying things like "point, set, match" just makes you sound like you're trying too hard to seem smarter than you are.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Yeah I still don't quite get how calling someone a "fitness guy" is supposed to be insulting either, lol maybe he's hoping we'll start calling him "textbook guy" in retaliation
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Good thing everyone knows not to listen to anything you say or they might be in trouble lol
  • DSTMT
    Options
    An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a form of criticism directed at something about the person one is criticizing, rather than something (potentially, at least) independent of that person. When used inappropriately, it is a fallacy in which a claim or argument is dismissed on the basis of some irrelevant fact or supposition about the author or the person being criticized.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.[3]
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    No comment, except to say that most of the time people are told to eat more it's because they say they are hungry all the time and have low energy. Your body does need fuel, and I'm sorry, but I will never agree that eating less than 1200 calories per day is healthy even if you say there is no such thing as starvation mode. If someone comes on here and says they are eating 1200 calories and are hungry all the time still, I am going to recommend they adjust their goals and subsequently raise their calories. Making a lifestyle change should not equate to being completely miserable, and eating too few calories CAN effect your body in a negative way.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    Meaning, if a person has no credibility and has repeatedly proven themselves to be ignorant, then to point out that they're ignorant and have no credibility and therefore their opinion should not be listened to is perfectly valid.
  • DSTMT
    Options
    So naturally you should be happy to show us a picture of your success, right? Since you've got it all figured out.
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it's fake, I have eaten less than 1200 for periods of time , many times and I have lost fine! And if it's true, than why are the starving kids in Africa so skinny!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Oh, Steve.

In your attempt to Gish-gallop around the topic it seems that you forgot the context of the original post on leptin.
    It could be a decrease in leptin at that level of food intake

To which you replied.

steve098 wrote: »
    The whole leptin thing has been pretty much debunked.

But according to your own source:
    steve098 wrote: »

"In mice or humans with mutations that render their
    fat cells unable to produce leptin or mutations that
    cause defective leptin receptors in the hypothalamus,
    marked hyperphagia and morbid obesity occur.

So much for leptin being "debunked".
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @FunkyTobias Good catch on the hypothalamus issue. I do have Hashimoto's, though I'm taking levothyroxine to manage it... I wonder if my dose should change at lower calorie intake. I'll have to look into that.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Interesting discussion...
    I never liked the term "starvation mode". People have a difficult time expressing the notion of metabolism slow-down due to increased calorie reduction. I have seen too many fail. because they start out a very low calorie diet that can eventually stifle metabolism.

Nobody following MFP recommendations need ever worry about "starvation mode". And to all those on some crazy, overly restrictive diet: good luck in that race.