What is your favorite way to eat beets?

Options
ksolksol
ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
Yes, I'm an oddball. I love, love, love beets. Shredded fresh beets and carrots tonight into a slaw with a light yogurt curry dressing. SO good. Love shredded raw beets in my smoothies. Love to peel them, rub them lightly with olive oil and roast them.

So what's your favorite way to eat beets?

Recipe for the slaw:

2 large raw beets, peeled & shredded
2 medium carrots, peeled & shredded
3/8 cup yogurt
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp curry

Next time, I'm going to double the yogurt, vinegar and sugar, but not the curry if I make this much. It was good as it was, but I'd like to try it with more dressing. Thinking a shredded apple tossed in the mix would be pretty dang good, too.

Replies

• blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I like them boiled, peeled, sliced then add some rice vinegar and a bit of stevia. Yum!
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have recently had them roasted with a little honey then dropped in a salad with some crumbled goats cheese on top very very yummy
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Boiled and without anything. Beautiful on their own. *slurp*
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    pickled. i am pretty sure after many tries that that is the only way i like them. there is the brand mama something or other, they carry at albertsons whole in a jar, they are delicious.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Pickled. That slaw sounds good though. :)
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Spray beets with cooking spray, wrap in aluminum foil and roast in the oven at 400 F for 45 minutes (until a paring knife slides in easily) . Cool, peel and dice. Dice a dill pickle. Mix beets, pickle and capers (whatever ratio you wish). Dress with Worcestershire sauce and a bit of the caper juice.
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    do you peel the beets first or just scrub? i just got some gorgeous beets from the farmers market. i LOVE beets but have never made them myself
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. YUM.
    They're also gorgeous raw, grated with carrots and apples drizzled with a bit of orange juice and mixed together. Or roasted in a fresh salad with raw spinach and feta cheese.
    Mmmm, I love beets, haha.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    All time favorite way.... I guess because my mom did this
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/harvard-beets/
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love beets! My favorite way to eat them is roasted with a little olive oil then sprinkle on a bit of goat cheese. I also like to eat the beet greens, raw in a salad, sautéed with garlic, or my favorite, wrapped around bread dough and baked with cream, onions and lots of dill!
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-roasted-beets/

I love roasted beets. I used salt and pepper but not the thyme. I like to serve them on top of the leaves that I sauté in olive oil with garlic, salt, and pepper.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No need to peel beets before roasting. Sometimes helps to use a wet paper towel to remove skin after roasting.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    No need to peel beets before roasting. Sometimes helps to use a wet paper towel to remove skin after roasting.

Fantastic idea... Thank you

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    A peanut butter, beet, and mayonnaise sandwich. It just can't be beet!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    A peanut butter, beet, and mayonnaise sandwich. It just can't be beet!

hmmmm..... I may try that without the mayo. I'm not much of a mayo gal.

Thank you all for all the great ideas!

• Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just wash and steam them, then slice em afterwords, can't beat it! The skin is edible and you can't really tell it is there at all :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Pickled with hard boiled eggs. So good and so pretty.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I hate beets, so I mix them with other fruits and veggies in a juicer/blender.
    Beets are just too healthy to ignore.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!! I LOVE beets and just got some beets from farmer's market, I usually just boil them. Can't wait to try some of the recipes.