FISH

Options
2»

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bumdo wrote: »
    Makes a big difference where you buy your fish from, some supermarkets can be quite epensive you buy just one slice at a time.. I myself like salmon a lot so I usually buy at least 700 grams at a time and usually get it quite cheap straight from fish shops.

And cut it in half again if you are near enough to get it straight from fishermen.
    As far as "bad for you", it is known as "brain food" from where I am.
    http://www.drgourmet.com/eatinghealthy/meddietfish.shtml#.VDrERLktDIU
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I eat fish nearly every day- salad shrimp, salmon (maybe try smoked salmon if you don't like it baked), clams, oysters, etc.
    - Find a local fish market to purchase from. Buy seasonal fish. Otherwise, Costco is a good place to go to get frozen portions of a variety of fish.
    - I stay away from catfish and tilapia (study up on their farms, ugh.) Whiting is CHEAP but can be really fishy. Garlic, herbs, and veggies always add wonderful flavor and texture to bland fish.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think for some of you to say 'it's not harmed me'...well how would you know? LOL It kills off brain cells so unless you're keeping a count it's not something you can track unless you're in a cognitive study group. Sure soy is healthy so says everyone until they find out it's not for everyone, it's very risky for ppl with certain genes. Threads like this get interesting. I'm not slamming anyone, really, I just found it humorous for a moment reading over all our responses and how much they vary. :)

Any studies to back this up? Or should we just take your word for it?

• myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Baked Haddock.....yummmmmmmm
    I would argue the point of scallops being expensive as there are no bones or any waste. A lot of fish we buy is bones and juices. My husband is a fisherman and he sells scallops around $10 a pound but pure meat as said, where as lobster is $4.00 and it is mostly waste. You are paying for shell and water. Lobster is extremely healthy though.

Ooh if I could get scallops at that price I'd eat them all the time! In supermarkets here in the UK, you're looking at £25/kg! (that's $40).

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's very dangerous to live, cause at some point we'll die.

Joke aside. I understand you're worried, but are you perhaps overthinking a bit? Theres probably as much poisons and additives in meats and residues on plants...I know I can't allow my brain to go there, it would drive me mental...

Also seem like a bit conflicting goals. Seafood is even more quality sensitive and therefore price sensitive than most meats cause of the short shelf life.

I'd avoid the cheapest salmon cuts. Taste nothing. Tin foil bake salmon in oven with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, grated ginger. White fish can easily be spruced up with a nutty crust. Pistachio and cod?

I actually buy a lot of those frozen strings of single portions with premium loins. The fish is frozen on the boat so it's technically fresher than the "fresh" fish.

Send me a pm if you want, I'll give you my best everyday recipes:-)

Dang now you got me dreaming about spaghetti vongole...
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Meh, if I want fish, I eat the fish i want... I dont overthink it

That sounds like a good way to do it!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    It's very dangerous to live, cause at some point we'll die.

Joke aside. I understand you're worried, but are you perhaps overthinking a bit? Theres probably as much poisons and additives in meats and residues on plants...I know I can't allow my brain to go there, it would drive me mental...

Also seem like a bit conflicting goals. Seafood is even more quality sensitive and therefore price sensitive than most meats cause of the short shelf life.

I'd avoid the cheapest salmon cuts. Taste nothing. Tin foil bake salmon in oven with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, grated ginger. White fish can easily be spruced up with a nutty crust. Pistachio and cod?

I actually buy a lot of those frozen strings of single portions with premium loins. The fish is frozen on the boat so it's technically fresher than the "fresh" fish.

Send me a pm if you want, I'll give you my best everyday recipes:-)

Dang now you got me dreaming about spaghetti vongole...

Sounds like you have tons of experience cooking them and trying out difference fish and recipes! I like discovering and trying what sounds good.

Unfortunately, I suck at attempting to follow recipes, even simple ones. For some reason my brain doesn't process. I instead try just thinking of what would go good and go with it. Some things turn out great and others not so much. Heh.

Pistachio and cod sounds interesting, will have to try!

I do bake the fish in the oven, I prefer it to pan fried. :)

Thank you for your reply!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    A couple of reasons. Trying to explore a new food area, lower calories than chicken and beef, my doctor told me more omega oils would be good, and protein is a good reason if I'm trying to get away from chicken and beef. I do enjoy eating certain sushis so I was told fish would be a good area to explore for new supper ideas.

I guess the shorter answer would be newer ideas and to get away from chicken and beef. That and to lower calorie intake.

Trying new things is great. Expecting to get more protein for less calories - probably not. Chicken has more protein per calorie than salmon. So does beef. Ergo, lowering calorie intake will probably work better if you reduce how much you eat.

This forum has an excellent chart rating foods by protein-per-calorie
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • erinb419
    Options
    Tilapia is the best option. It's inexpensive, versatile, only 110 cal per fillet, and has a very low mercury content.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I didn't like salmon until I found a good place to buy it (it shouldn't smell like fish) and we grill it, with a little tiny dab or pesto butter. Salmon from the grocery store is gross. Tilapia is a good one that doesn't taste "fishy" I like to just pan sear that one, also tuna steaks.
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    North Atlantic Mackerel is extremely low in mercury, and is one of the fish highest in Omega 3 (even higher than Salmon and Sardines) and is the highest in B12. It's nice when you buy it canned in Tomato sauce on a slice of buttered toast for Breakfast, and warm it up under the grill and is very cheap if bought canned.