confused soup

Options
new to this and is confused as have just made a vegetable soup weighed out the veg and counted it raw before cooking, have just looked at calories etc from making it and looked at a standard tin of supermarket soup which has worked out less calories than a home made one,,am i doing this right if so why i spending money on veg when can buy a tin for 29p and be less calories and cheaper???? Very confused now

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    For starters it won't taste like poo.

Secondly are you sure you measured accurately? because homemade soup is usually very low in calorie, and shop bought usually isn't.
  • annmlp75
    annmlp75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hope so i weiged out the raw ingredients then just put them on here, have made the soup so is it less calories when cooked down or am i really just being thick??? Lol and yes it is deffnately a bonus on the taste as i love homemade soup. The soup i made will be enough for 2 sittings so i must half the intake ????
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    weighing the raw ingredients is best, it's still the same amount of food, so it's not any less calories when cooked. Could you write down what you logged for me?
  • annmlp75
    Options
    i used 200g bns, 120g sweet potato,onions 190g carrots a stock cube made to 450ml water an d 25g plain cous cous
  • annmlp75
    Options
    which is made 2 servings
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    bns are beans, right? what kind of beans?
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are doing this as one serving on the recipe builder if so its likely to be higher, when I make soup it makes enough for 4 servings so I always but in 4 people not 1. Soup I make is well under calorie than bought soup and tastes so much better and not high in sodium as you can control it.
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The couscous will have upped the cals as would the beans. I personally would have done one or the other not both.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Because you dont know whats fully in the soup and what quantities.

Own soup =

1. You know whats in it.
    2. Less or no gunk, additives, salt(unless you put in)
    3. Probably more nutritious and fresher.
    4. Tastes better, depends how you cook.
    5. Higher concentraion of vegetables.
    6. Probably cheaper if you make a large panfull. 29p soup doesnt sound great.
    7. Its vegetables and they are good for you so I wouldnt be fretting over the calorie count as you can eat a whole bowl full without it amounting to much.
    8. Soup in heneral tends to be very ood at making you feel full for longer on fewer calories.
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    just guessing what kind of beans and I've got 231 cals per portion. That's an incredibly calorie light, nutritious, filling meal.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    1) Check the soup tin - is the serving size comparable?
    2) Irrespective - your soup will be very low in calories and will not contain any preservatives and will certainly be lower in salt. Its not just calories which make a meal healthy!
    3) To make a portion lower calories: just dilute the soup some more! it will pretty much taste the same.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    BNS -= butternut squash
  • annmlp75
    Options
    sorry bns is butternut squash,
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I made a butternut squash, lentil, honey and thyme soup it was 222cals per serving, which is pretty low. And very filling.
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    annmlp75 wrote: »
    sorry bns is butternut squash,

OK well, that brings it down to 190 cals a portion. Is that roughly the same as what you ended up with? A tin of sainsbury basics veg soup comes to about 160 cals, for the 30 extra calories the homemade will be more nutritious, nicer tasting and depending on how/where you buy your veg possibly cheaper.
  • annmlp75
    Options
    247 mine is coming up!!!:(
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    annmlp75 wrote: »
    247 mine is coming up!!!:(

that's what I put in using the recipe builder. I didn't put in onions because one onion is like 10 cals, and I didn't know how many you used.
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    Derp, I didn't actually attach the image
    soup.bmp 741.5K
  • JenniDaisy
    Options
    Oh ffs, my work computer is a hundred years old.
    soup.JPG 101.9K
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    247 calories for a soup is good! Don't stress!! Try reading the ingredients at the back of that soup can, you'll be glad you made your own, but rest assured homemade soup is more filling and nutritious than some old stinky can from a supermarket shelf :)