Need a good steak rub "recipe"

Options
ActuarialChef
ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
Making strip steak tonight (with homemade mac & cheese and broccoli (recipe attached if anyone wants it!) - every time I make steak at home it just turns out "eh". I'll be using a cast iron skillet and letting the meat sit out of the fridge for ~20 minutes before cooking.

Anyone have a good recipe for a rub or something that I can use on it?

Thanks!

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Salt
    cayenne pepper
    garlic
    cinnamon

Sprinkle with cinnamon first
    Salt pepper garlic to taste
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Let the steak get to room temp before you put it on, so probably longer than 20 mins. Also, grill > cast iron.
  • ActuarialChef
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Let the steak get to room temp before you put it on, so probably longer than 20 mins. Also, grill > cast iron.

I don't have a grill (had a george foreman but it no longer works) and have had good results getting a good sear on a cast iron skillet.

If the steaks are about 1 inch thick, how long do you think they will take to come to room temp (fridge is set at 37F).
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Interested in keeping an eye on this thread for some good suggestions also.

At present, my go-to steak rub is a generous sprinkle of thyme and oregano, followed by a little salt and pepper, after which I add a little dash of cumin, paprika, chili powder, a dusting of garlic granules, and the slightest amount of cayenne pepper. I basically dress a chopping board with all the above, coat both sides of the room temperature steaks with it, and cover lightly with tin foil (so I don't brush against the raw meat when prepping something else), and let them sit there for about 30/ 40 mins to let the rub absorb into the meat.

My usual routine is actually, get the onions on, cooking low and slow, with a little dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then prepare the rub above and let the steaks sit when coated, so by the time I'm finished cooking the steaks, the onions have been on a good 50/ 60 mins and caramelised nicely. The steaks then get cooked on the pan the onions have been cooking on, either pushing the onions to the side of the pan to make room for the steak, or else moving the onions to a smaller pan until the steaks cook.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Interested in keeping an eye on this thread for some good suggestions also.

At present, my go-to steak rub is a generous sprinkle of thyme and oregano, followed by a little salt and pepper, after which I add a little dash of cumin, paprika, chili powder, a dusting of garlic granules, and the slightest amount of cayenne pepper. I basically dress a chopping board with all the above, coat both sides of the room temperature steaks with it, and cover lightly with tin foil (so I don't brush against the raw meat when prepping something else), and let them sit there for about 30/ 40 mins to let the rub absorb into the meat.

My usual routine is actually, get the onions on, cooking low and slow, with a little dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then prepare the rub above and let the steaks sit when coated, so by the time I'm finished cooking the steaks, the onions have been on a good 50/ 60 mins and caramelised nicely. The steaks then get cooked on the pan the onions have been cooking on, either pushing the onions to the side of the pan to make room for the steak, or else moving the onions to a smaller pan until the steaks cook.

...and now I'm hungry for steak! :)

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is a rub I made after watching a show about Cattleman's Steak House. In the show it appeared to be about equal parts of all ingredients. You can adjust to your taste.

Steak Seasoning

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp onion salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Blend all ingredients in a glass jar, store in a cool dark place. Use to season beef. Great on steak.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    This is a rub I made after watching a show about Cattleman's Steak House. In the show it appeared to be about equal parts of all ingredients. You can adjust to your taste.

Steak Seasoning

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp onion salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Blend all ingredients in a glass jar, store in a cool dark place. Use to season beef. Great on steak.

Not a bad one, it's also close to one I like. Here's one I've been using for years, derived from Santa Maria seasoning, but my own preferred ratios for when I cook for people other than me. My own personal one is a little salt heavier.

Salt - 20%
    Black Pepper - 10%
    Dried Parsley - 20%
    Granulated Garlic - 50%

By weight. Mix well, sprinkle liberally. It's crackerjack on tri tips. If they're 1" thick, I'd take the steaks out, season them liberally, and let sit for 2 hours prior to cooking.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Getting the steaks completely dry on the outside is the key to a nice browned crust.

My process:

1) Pat dry with paper towels.

2) Liberally sprinkle with kosher salt at least a couple of hours before cooking. This allows the seasoning to be drawn into the meat rather than just sit on the surface. Big difference in flavor. (Can go ahead and rub them with whatever rub you're using, but salt is the most important part.)

3) Store in fridge uncovered. This lets water evaporate from the surface. Best if you can put them on a grid, but otherwise just blot the underside again with a paper towel. (I blot because I don't like raw meat on my cooling rack.)

4) Use an instant read thermometer to ensure you cook them perfectly. I take mine off the heat between 130-135 degrees F.

5) Take them off the heat to a plate, tent with foil for a few minutes before serving.
  • MagicalWanda
    MagicalWanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a rub that my DH makes for steaks and we LOVE it. We've gotten great reviews from everyone who has tried it:

LORD OF THE GRILL'S ESPRESSO RUB

1/4 cup ancho chili powder
    1/4 cup finely ground espresso
    2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder

Here's a link to our blog post with pictures!

http://tinyurl.com/muavaxj
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump. yum
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • icrushit
    Options

...and now I'm hungry for steak! :)

Haha, its a nice spice blend too, and tends to double as my default fajita seasoning too :smile:

• icrushit
    Options
    This is a rub that my DH makes for steaks and we LOVE it. We've gotten great reviews from everyone who has tried it:

LORD OF THE GRILL'S ESPRESSO RUB

1/4 cup ancho chili powder
    1/4 cup finely ground espresso
    2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder

Here's a link to our blog post with pictures!

http://tinyurl.com/muavaxj

Oooh.. this sounds intriguing.. must try! :smile:

• JeffMeehan
    JeffMeehan Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Old South BBQ Rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet paprika
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    3 tablespoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

Yield: 3/4 cup

This tastes awesome on all kinds of meat (havnt tried it on fish though)
  • ActuarialChef
    edited October 2014
    Options
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    Old South BBQ Rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet paprika
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    3 tablespoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

Yield: 3/4 cup

This tastes awesome on all kinds of meat (havnt tried it on fish though)

YES! That's what I use on chicken. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be good on steak haha.

I made the steak last night with a sprinkle of kosher salt and some cayenne pepper [ETA: and garlic powder!]. Not bad for a rush job. Biggest mistake was not letting the cast iron heat up all the way and therefore not getting a whole lot of color. Perfect med-rare though! :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, kosher salt, and minced garlic--I use this for all varieties of steak.

Anyone have a good rub for a pork roast in the slow cooker? (Prefer savory to sweet.)
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    bump, I am seeing some amazing recipes!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Bring your steak to room temperature
    I love the sear my steaks in smoking hot cast iron skillet
    rub the steaks all over with a bit of oil
    sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic and onion powder (not salt)
    and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Let the seasoning sit on the steaks while your pan heats...
    NOTE: Do not use fresh garlic or onion on the steak or they will burn during the sear. Garlic especially is bitter and nasty tasting when burned.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find this America's Test Kitchen recipe for how to sear the perfect steak. Unfortunately my subscription must have lapsed. From what I recall, they basically recommend starting the steaks in a cool oven to bring them up to temperature, then searing them in a hot cast iron skillet. They said that way you get the perfect char on the outside but don't over cook your steak on the edges like what happens if you do it the other way around (getting it hot in the pan then putting it in a hot oven - edges too done)

I know you were asking for a good steak seasoning, but I think the technique is almost as important as the rub you use. Also having a good cut of meat.

My mom used to cook filets in a cast iron skillet in a mix of olive oil and butter and she would baste them with butter as they cooked. They were amazing.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I keep it real simple - coarse sea salt or kosher salt, being liberal with it, fresh cracked pepper and usually some garlic powder, maybe a touch of cayenne

In terms of bringing it to room temp? pull it out and use it - bad off any moisture with a paper towel and go for it. Studies showed that once a steak is thicker than a 1/2 inch or so, it takes longer and longer to 'warm' up the inside, creating a much larger temperature difference between the outside and the inside, thus making it tougher to cook correctly. I pull mine out for maybe 10 minutes tops if I have to take care of other things.