Need a good steak rub "recipe"

Options
2»

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Olive oil, kosher salt, and minced garlic--I use this for all varieties of steak.

Anyone have a good rub for a pork roast in the slow cooker? (Prefer savory to sweet.)

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/08/slow-cooker-roast-pork-sandwiches-with.html

Italian Herb Rub
    Makes approx. 4 Tbsp

Ingredients

1 Tbsp dried rosemary
    1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
    3/4 tsp ground sage
    1-1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
    1 Tbsp kosher salt
    1-1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a mortar and pestle. Crush with pestle until rosemary is broken into small pieces. If you do not have a mortar and pestle, break rosemary up by hand. Use to season beef, pork, chicken or fish. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I was trying to find this America's Test Kitchen recipe for how to sear the perfect steak. Unfortunately my subscription must have lapsed. From what I recall, they basically recommend starting the steaks in a cool oven to bring them up to temperature, then searing them in a hot cast iron skillet. They said that way you get the perfect char on the outside but don't over cook your steak on the edges like what happens if you do it the other way around (getting it hot in the pan then putting it in a hot oven - edges too done)

I know you were asking for a good steak seasoning, but I think the technique is almost as important as the rub you use. Also having a good cut of meat.

My mom used to cook filets in a cast iron skillet in a mix of olive oil and butter and she would baste them with butter as they cooked. They were amazing.
    Is it the Alton Brown pan-seared ribeye?
    Ingredients
    1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
    Canola oil, to coat
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Directions
    Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Bring the steak to room temperature.

When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes. Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.

Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    laurenjill wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I was trying to find this America's Test Kitchen recipe for how to sear the perfect steak. Unfortunately my subscription must have lapsed. From what I recall, they basically recommend starting the steaks in a cool oven to bring them up to temperature, then searing them in a hot cast iron skillet. They said that way you get the perfect char on the outside but don't over cook your steak on the edges like what happens if you do it the other way around (getting it hot in the pan then putting it in a hot oven - edges too done)

I know you were asking for a good steak seasoning, but I think the technique is almost as important as the rub you use. Also having a good cut of meat.

My mom used to cook filets in a cast iron skillet in a mix of olive oil and butter and she would baste them with butter as they cooked. They were amazing.
    Is it the Alton Brown pan-seared ribeye?
    Ingredients
    1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
    Canola oil, to coat
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Directions
    Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F. Bring the steak to room temperature.

When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes. Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.

Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html

No, but I am sure Alton's technique would be good also.

My mom also used to use this blend on all her grilled meats (steak, pork chops, hamburger).

Seasoned Salt
    Seasoned Pepper
    Hickory Smoked Salt
    Granulated Garlic
    Onion Powder

It is really good, but on the rare occasion I make steaks at home we tend to just do salt, pepper, and maybe a little garlic powder.