I can't run.

Options
I know it sounds dumb, but I CANNOT run. I try and try and I can't do it.

Does anyone know of any programs that can help me? Maybe starting with long walks and then run/walks, and then runs?

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. There's a free app. It's really good.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    try running slower in a confortable conversational pace
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Couch to,5k. Have used before. Used to walk a lamppost and then run to the next when starting. Start slow.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with both of these comments. I'm far from a success story (I'm in progress), but I started C25k back in the Spring and now I can run for 50 minutes without stopping. I run slow, like, turtle in peanut butter slow, like 3.7mph slow, but I don't STOP. I'm getting faster every day.
    Try C25k and don't give up. If a day is super-easy, finish the entire set anyway. If the day is super-hard and you can't complete it, REPEAT it the next time (I do Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday). There were a few times I had to repeat a day. There is no shame in that. When you conquer that day, you will feel twice as badass.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    do you have a gait issue or an "I'm uncomfortable" or "I can't breath or do this for very long" issue.

Because "I can't run" is just way to generic to try to pin point- odds are you CAN run- but you can't run for very long-which is an extremely easy- albeit a somewhat time consuming process- i.e Couch to 5K type programs- but almost everyone with two functional legs can break a walk and physically run- just a matter of how long and how far usually- which training can easily fix with commitment.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'd just run/walk until you're recovered and try to push a little farther each time. Sooner or later you'll be doing less walking and more running!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k apps.
    Some are free and others like Zombie,Run 5K you have to pay for.
    I have Zombie,Run 5k just because it makes running more fun for me. An example of a workout would be:
    10 min brisk walk
    1 min brisk walk
    15 sec run
    repeat 10x
    10 min free walk/run
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the Couch to 5k apps. I used it in the beginning and just did my first 5k a couple of weeks ago...finished in 33:53!! I am now running a mile in around 10:40 on average. I hated running but now have started to enjoy my time on the road.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k - there is also one called easy 5k - depends on what kind of phone you have - if you haven't got an Iphone or Android phone you can print off the couch to 5k as a pdf and pin it to your fridge lol.
    - Don't worry about being slow and don't worry how long you take to complete it as long as your moving it doesn't matter. Speed and endurance will come.
    - Good luck hunny. :smile: x
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I thought I couldn't run, either, until I figured out it was a pacing issue. I would try to maintain a pace that was too fast for me at the time, and when I slowed down a bit I could hold it longer.

I use C25K now, there's a free app that's super helpful.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've used both Cool Runnings' C25K, but I much preferred the Zombies, Run! 5K trainer. The Zombies, Run! app has a good story and works in other exercises with it.

Good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do you want to run? You don't HAVE to run.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I hated it but decided I wanted to run next year in our small local 5k and so I started out slowly and built up to 3 miles. I run twice a week now and I'm good with that. I'm never going to be a long distance runner, but these 5k's are kinda fun.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What kind of problems are you having when you try to run?

Maybe my story will help......I wasn't a runner, in fact I had grown up hating running (unless it involved chasing a ball or something else useful....) fast forward to a sedentary 50 year old who wants to start playing soccer again. Suffice it to say it was a humbling experience, a few moments on the pitch and I was ready to die.

I decided I needed to improve my fitness. I started with just walking, then I added a minute of running (more like a slow shuffle), then 2 minutes, then 3 minutes and so on. I built up very slowly and much to my surprise found the I actually liked running for the sake of running.

September 2009 I ran my first 5K race and since then I have moved along to 10 Ks, half-marathons and a handful of duathlons / triathlons.

When you're first starting out go slow and go short. Your only goal is to build endurance, you don't want to go too fast (you should never find yourself gasping for breath until you reach the point that you're racing and want to improve speed but that's still a long way away)

You want to be consistent. It's far more beneficial to go for 4 x 1/2 hour walks/runs than 2hr run per week.

Be patient. It's a marathon not a sprint, it takes time for your body to make the physiological adaptations that running demands>

Have fun!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, anyone can run. The Couch 2 5k is a great program, as others have mentioned.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds dumb, but I CANNOT run. I try and try and I can't do it.

Does anyone know of any programs that can help me? Maybe starting with long walks and then run/walks, and then runs?

Me either. I started with couch to 5k. I can run now.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    IMHO running is hugely psychological. Tell yourself you can run as you work towards increasing your times. If you continue to tell yourself you can't do it, that's going to be an obstacle that's difficult to overcome. GL.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    truth.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    do you have a gait issue or an "I'm uncomfortable" or "I can't breath or do this for very long" issue.

Because "I can't run" is just way to generic to try to pin point- odds are you CAN run- but you can't run for very long-which is an extremely easy- albeit a somewhat time consuming process- i.e Couch to 5K type programs- but almost everyone with two functional legs can break a walk and physically run- just a matter of how long and how far usually- which training can easily fix with commitment.
    Do you want to run? You don't HAVE to run.

+1

If you want to run and don't have any physical reason for not being able to, everybody gave great suggestions. If you don't want to run or if there's a physical reason, find a form of exercise that you enjoy (and can safely perform).