Paleo Diet/Way of Life

Options

Replies

• misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is eating "paleo" (whatever that means), doesn't automatically create a calorie deficit. It's possible to gain weight eating any sort of "diet". Paleo or primal or whatever or low carb was a binge fest for me. I even binged on almond butter because that was primal.

Paleo is not magic, it is restrictive, and reading any book by Gary Taubes is a waste of time. You're better off creating a modest calorie deficit and getting more exercise, as stated above.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Join the Primal/Paleo support group if you really want answers to your questions without the "everything in the universe is only calories in/calories out" bs. Because the food actually does matter for many, many people. Especially if one is fat/sick.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If one is fat/sick, they should probably be getting their medical/diet advice from their doctor or an RD, not on the internet.

Guess what? You don't have to cut out entire food groups in order to eat more fresh veg and fruit.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    In one of my many attempts at weight loss I did the Primal Blueprint diet. It's a similar diet to Paleo, just allows a few more things to eat (like dairy). I have to admit that my belly felt better (I suspect I have a wheat intolerance to some degree and I know dairy doesn't sit well). However, it was just not feasible to maintain for long. I did it for a couple of months, I lost some weight, but it is so hard to keep up. Taking your lunch to work doesn't always work...and most of the lunches found in this non-primal society have some kind of bun or shell associated with it. Unless you want to drop a lot of money on lunch. It is not impossible, it just isn't altogether sustainable either. IMHO, balancing your foods is better unless you need this type of diet to regulate health issues.
  • o_ozkay
    Options
    We eat mostly Paleo. Some people here are correct. It is not a magic "diet" to lose weight. You can still eat too much of something (calories) and gain or not lose weight.

What you need to do is see it as a lifestyle not a "diet". Choose to eat Paleo because it is nutritious and healthy. You can eat a calorie modest diet and lose weight/maintain. But just because it is NON-fat yogurt for example vs. Full fat yogurt doesn't make it HEALTHY. It is well known that foods that say "low-calorie, non-fat" are not good for you. Hard to explain but I think it depends on your actual reason for wanting to go Paleo.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    There are no paleo foods in todays world. So, it's not the same thing.

Also, the idea of it is lame. Paleo people ate what was available to them. They didn't eat a specific diet, and the people from different regions had different diets, due to the food that was available.

Are you also going to eat grubs? Because Paleo people ate a lot of grubs.

no, there aren't paleo FOODS in our current world today but if you read about (and you obviously haven't) then you know it's not about eating what our ancestors ate. there is alot of science behind it, and it's not just a fad diet. the reason i asked how that comment was helpful is because the OP asked if anyone did paleo and if they had advice. if someone doesn't have advice for her, then why reply?

as for corn, glad you can eat it, but some of us can't and that is part of paleo - discovering which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. it doesn't say YOU CAN'T EVER EAT CORN AGAIN. it is about finding what works for you and avoiding foods which can cause reactions. most people can't tolerate corn but they don't realize it until it's gone from their diet.

no, there aren't paleo FOODS in our current world today but if you read about (and you obviously haven't) then you know it's not about eating what our ancestors ate. there is alot of science behind it, and it's not just a fad diet. the reason i asked how that comment was helpful is because the OP asked if anyone did paleo and if they had advice. if someone doesn't have advice for her, then why reply?

as for corn, glad you can eat it, but some of us can't and that is part of paleo - discovering which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. it doesn't say YOU CAN'T EVER EAT CORN AGAIN. it is about finding what works for you and avoiding foods which can cause reactions. most people can't tolerate corn but they don't realize it until it's gone from their diet.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    why not just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and move/work out more? Paleo is not some magical diet that is going to cure all your problems...

how is this helpful?

so you are saying it is not helpful to tell the OP to just create a calorie deficit and get a moderate amount of exercise????

what is more reasonable; 1) create a calorie deficit, restrict nothing, and work out/move more; 2) try to replicate a way of eating that has been extinct for over 10,000 years...?

i would say try to replicate a way of eating that has been around for over 10,000 years, not extinct. it is only in the very recent history of people that we have started eating overly processed foods, grains, etc. and have gotten extremely obese as an american culture.

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    In one of my many attempts at weight loss I did the Primal Blueprint diet. It's a similar diet to Paleo, just allows a few more things to eat (like dairy). I have to admit that my belly felt better (I suspect I have a wheat intolerance to some degree and I know dairy doesn't sit well). However, it was just not feasible to maintain for long. I did it for a couple of months, I lost some weight, but it is so hard to keep up. Taking your lunch to work doesn't always work...and most of the lunches found in this non-primal society have some kind of bun or shell associated with it. Unless you want to drop a lot of money on lunch. It is not impossible, it just isn't altogether sustainable either. IMHO, balancing your foods is better unless you need this type of diet to regulate health issues.

this is very solid advice, and i do agree. it is very difficult to manage and i have to cook lunch on sunday for my husband (for the entire week) - and i have to cook dinner every night. it is time-consuming and can be expensive at first (until you learn more about it) for most people, i agree that it is difficult to keep up with. i don't work, so i have alot of time to create recipes, etc. i do eat some dairy, such as aged cheeses and some yogurts for the live cultures, and goat cheese, but for some people, they can't tolerate any dairy at all.

since i do have some health issues and my daughter does as well, we find this way of life very helpful and far superior to the chicken mcNugget world we used to live in.

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    misssiri wrote: »
    If one is fat/sick, they should probably be getting their medical/diet advice from their doctor or an RD, not on the internet.

we aren't here to get/give medical advice, we are here to support each other. the OP wanted support in finding out about paleo, so we are here to give it to her, not bash the entire ideology of paleo.

i think the post to which you replied is just saying that for many people, the types of foods we eat really do affect us more than we realize, and for most people, it's not just about calories-in/calories-out, especially if they have health issues. and sometimes, you dont' realize you have these food sensitivities until you cut-out foods and then try to re-introduce them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    why not just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and move/work out more? Paleo is not some magical diet that is going to cure all your problems...

how is this helpful?

so you are saying it is not helpful to tell the OP to just create a calorie deficit and get a moderate amount of exercise????

what is more reasonable; 1) create a calorie deficit, restrict nothing, and work out/move more; 2) try to replicate a way of eating that has been extinct for over 10,000 years...?

i would say try to replicate a way of eating that has been around for over 10,000 years, not extinct. it is only in the very recent history of people that we have started eating overly processed foods, grains, etc. and have gotten extremely obese as an american culture.

In for when @neandermagnon shows up to school everyone of what the paleolithic diet actually consisted.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

how is this helpful?

This isn't quite true. People have been eating processed foods for much longer than there has been an obesity epidemic. Widespread obesity is fairly new. Processed foods are not.

Grass fed beef is very popular among Paleo dieters, but without man, cows would not be fat like pastured beef is. Wild mammals are lean because they have to run from predators. Only under the protection of man and his pastures do cattle survive.

And coconut oil is also a popular paleo menu item, even when paired with non-tropical foods. That is only possible thanks to man-made transportation.

Eat what you want, but don't fool yourself that paleolithic ancestors ate anything close to this way.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Rollercoasters are fun :)
  • classic303
    classic303 Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My best advice for the paleo diet is to learn about spices. You can eat a chicken meal everyday if you use different spices. Chili powder, cumin and crushed red pepper are my favorite spice combination.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting for someone to write a book on the "peasant diet." Where you can eat all the bread and vegetable soup you want! Just don't eat fruits, meats, or dairy because peasants couldn't afford that kind of stuff back in the 17th century.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

how is this helpful?

so eating in a calorie deficit and moving more is not reasonable? Interesting...

define "processed"...if I kill a deer, skin it, and cut it up into steak, sausage, burgers, etc, it is then processed, so is that bad too?

Obesity has nothing to do with the type of food that people eat, and everything to do with the volume of food that people eat. Couple the amount of food that people eat, with the lack of exercise and that is why people are obese, not because of this type, or that type of "processed" (however you define that) food that they are eating...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    classic303 wrote: »
    My best advice for the paleo diet is to learn about spices. You can eat a chicken meal everyday if you use different spices. Chili powder, cumin and crushed red pepper are my favorite spice combination.

strong first post...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It is helpful because the reasons for eating paleo are important. Some people are not aware that it's just a different way of creating a deficit. It's not magic. And, this is really an important point, for the vast majority of people, it is NOT sustainable. And, every time I say that, 20 people come in and say they've been doing it for X years. Awesome. But, MOST people cannot keep it up. It's far too restrictive for normal everyday life.

Most people that are successful with it, have to do it due to dietary reasons. Like they can't eat diary or gluten, or something. But, people who can eat all that stuff have a really hard time with it.

If you simply, instead, prioritize protein and minimize carbs, without calling it anything but healthful eating, it's easier. Much easier. And, if you eat carbs, or corn, who cares. I love corn, and I think the reasoning is stupid. And, I dislike the name. There are no paleo foods in todays world. So, it's not the same thing.

This is largely my experience. I was kind of attracted to it as an idea, since I don't really care about most grains and thought I wasted a lot of calories on them pointlessly, just because they were there, so figured it would be good to focus on meat and vegetables (I love dairy, which I knew would be an issue, think legumes are healthy, if usually boring, and couldn't get a straight answer on potatoes and paleo anyway). Also, I was curious if I'd feel better without grains, like so many claimed. So I did a paleo challenge for a couple of weeks and found it a relatively easy way for me to eat (but for the dairy, and maybe potatoes, which I never cut out anyway), but I couldn't say I felt any better--I felt fine, but no different. But beyond that, it began to feel stupid to have to take the bread off when my office brought in sandwiches or the like or refrain from such meals entirely. I realized that the same preferences that made the diet easy for me also made it rather pointless to have to follow rules that meant I couldn't easily join in an office meal without standing out and looking picky. On the whole, I think if you LOVE grains and overeat them, it might make a big difference in calories, but the diet would be a hardship. If you, like me, don't care about them, it's just kind of pointless, I can achieve the same thing by watching my intake in general.

So IMO it mostly makes sense for people with actual medical reasons for it.

Also, I played around with it during the winter, and not during corn season. I only eat corn when it's locally in season, so hadn't given it much thought, but giving that up would be a serious hardship.

And I agree about the name.
  • FiverLagomorph
    FiverLagomorph Posts: 15 Member
    Options

+1 I think this applies to all of the fad diets. You may require a specific diet due to a medical condition such as iron deficiency but other than that I think the advice above applies.