another dreaded inches vs. lbs post

Options

Replies

• fastmomonthego158
    fastmomonthego158 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you do not want bulky muscles I would stop lifting so much. High reps low weights makes lean muscles and cardio will also help with the fat burning.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you do not want bulky muscles I would stop lifting so much. High reps low weights makes lean muscles and cardio will also help with the fat burning.

No. High reps low weight does not create lean muscle. Muscle is always lean.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you came here for help, and you're making it sound like any advice that has been posted, isn't good enough for you. your diary isn't even public, so what exactly can one do for you ?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    4D2AmsO.gif
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I change up my exercise routine when my weight hits a plateau. I also found that I lose weight quicker when I do more cardio than weights. You are exercising and eating at a deficit. Could something else be going on?
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ug, people are all up in the op's face just because she's had to state a billion times that she's at a deficit and has a nutritionist. Honestly, I would try switching things up with exercise or challenge myself to push as hard as I can for a few months. I'm not sure what to do about the food though. Ask that nutritionist and maybe they can change your plan a little. Do you have a HRM or a way to more accurately track calories in/out? Are you drinking enough water? How about sleep? Stress? Health?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I had a client last year who was an actual bulky female with the same issue. She hired me for 5 sessions. In those 5 weeks she lost 14lbs. Problem....................she was eating too much for her goal. From the last time I saw her, she's now down 54lbs. Walking billboard for me in the gym.
    At your frame and weight, you can EASILY eat 1000 calories less a day from your TDEE. Now if you're already doing this, then the next issue I'd check is for hormone balance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    High reps low weights build muscle endurance. It has nothing to do with making muscle leaner. Cardio helps with heart health and calorie expenditure. Fat burning is actually happening more efficiently at rest (sitting, sleeping) than exercising it off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I know you said you've seen a nutritionist, but do you weigh everything you eat? If you are gaining or maintaining weight then you are not on a deficit. CICO. You don't need to switch up and shock your body with different exercise. It seems you've found what your maintenance level is for your body. You should reevaluate how much you eat every 20# or so.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Are you possibly lifting too much? Maybe you could scale that back a little and/or reevaluate things with your nutritionist. Something isn't right if you've been plateauing for a year. Hopefully you get things sorted out soon!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are: more cardio, less weight lifting. Also maybe your calorie intake needs to be lowered as you lose weight. And you should have your diary open, sometimes things are more obvious to others than ourselves.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bump for laughs.
  • xerothermic
    xerothermic Posts: 80
    edited October 2014
    Options
    you came here for help, and you're making it sound like any advice that has been posted, isn't good enough for you. your diary isn't even public, so what exactly can one do for you ?

I specifically asked what people do to keep motivation up, not for everything to be critiqued. So much for motivation and support being anything similar to that. Geez people are rude and know-it-alls. So many people were quick to fix the plateau without actually reading that all I asked was "...how do you stay motivated..." I have a dietician and trainer for the edits to everything else, not random people on the Internet.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I specifically asked what people do to keep motivation up, not for everything to be critiqued. So much for motivation and support being anything similar to that. Geez people are rude and know-it-alls. So many people were quick to fix the plateau without actually reading that all I asked was "...how do you stay motivated..."

OP how do you stay motivated if you continue to plateau? People are trying to help you fix the problem at hand so you see results then you don't have to make a stay motivated thread.

• JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How do I stay motivated? I keep my eye on the prize, remember the progress I have had. You've had some success yes? It will happen if you continue on the path you're on :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Nope, it is extremely difficult for a woman to bulk. A person in deficit does not gain muscle (unless its newbie gains, which is short lived).

OP- I stay motivated by remembering why I started, though my goals have changed. Good luck
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Nope, it is extremely difficult for a woman to bulk. A person in deficit does not gain muscle (unless its newbie gains, which is short lived).

OP- I stay motivated by remembering why I started, though my goals have changed. Good luck

Hey now. Newbies can make mistakes. I know I did.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I specifically asked what people do to keep motivation up, not for everything to be critiqued. So much for motivation and support being anything similar to that. Geez people are rude and know-it-alls. So many people were quick to fix the plateau without actually reading that all I asked was "...how do you stay motivated..." I have a dietician and trainer for the edits to everything else, not random people on the Internet.

Well you see the thing is…it's an OPEN forum. When you talk about a plateau people may actually try to help you. OMG. Shame on us.

I'm sorry but this is exactly why people get burned out on trying to help people in the forums. We take time out of our day to try to help someone, because we've all been there. We've been in your shoes. We've been the ones swearing we are doing everything correctly when obviously we weren't, because if you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit.

So we try to help and you call us rude and know-it-alls. Nice.

If you've been in a plateau for a year and you have a dietician and a trainer then obviously something is wrong with that picture…or you wouldn't be in a plateau. Which it's not a plateau, you've found your maintenance calories. Personally, if I was in your shoes and was paying for a trainer and a dietician and I wasn't losing weight, I'd first re-evaluate how much I was eating, then I'd re-evaluate who I was paying. But what do I know. I'm just a rude know it all.

And to 'specifically' answer your question YOU are the only one who can keep yourself motivated. I could list lots of reasons why I stay motivated, my reasons may not mean anything to you. You make a decision. You want it or you don't. It's also that simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So OP you do everything right and can't seem to lose weight…???

Hmmmm I think you are doing something wrong, and don't want to admit it...