Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• joannebclark
    Options
    You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey....
  • joannebclark
    Options
    bump to save
  • joannebclark
    Options
    Started in March 2014. I am losing more slowly than I would like but as long as it's going the right way I can live with it. My body seems to be losing in a different way than before. Loads gone off my legs and bottom first but I know (hoping) the rest of me will catch up. My stomach and hips don't seem to be reducing at the same rate. I am trying to stick to 1200 calories and walk a lot at the weekends, but I have always walked, this isn't a new activity for me.

Thanks for this - I will follow your lead and embrace anything that I could lose. Positive thinking and just keep on going.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did you find the weight harder to lose (or maintain) during pre-menopause or post?
  • gummibear64
    gummibear64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear more success stories. I had early stage breast cancer so HRT is not an option for me.
  • gaildd66
    Options
    I'm 48 old yrs, 5'9" wgt165lbs I 'm currently post menopausal. I increased my workout to 6 days a week, alternating between spin classes and body pump ( it's a strength training class) I'm desperately trying to lose 10 to 15lbs mainly because I want to fit back into my size 6 to 8 clothing. I eat pretty healthy, no refined sugars, a lot of spinach salads, chicken, veggies and fruits. I'm pretty toned but I can't seem to lose the 10 to 15lbs weight gain that happened in the last two months.
    Any advice?
  • Arismar2022
    Arismar2022 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luluismydog
    Options
    I'm 60 years old. Have been post-menopausal for about 11 years, never taken any hormone therapy drugs. Last year, after weighing around 240 pounds for 10 years or so, the switch finally clicked and I started dieting and stuck to it. I followed the Atkins plan, more or less, and after losing about 30 pounds I added in exercising vigorously. Many years ago I was very fit and a fitness instructor in my 30s, so I was knowledgeable in that area although I had strayed very far from it for a very long time. Twelve months later, now and I have lost 65 pounds. I'd like to lose 5 pounds more or so, but feel like I've effectively achieved what I set out to do. I'm a little over 5'8" and on the mesomorphic side. Finally now, at 60 years old, I feel fit and energetic and strong and confident again. What a joy it is. I don't know what to make of that thing people say about your "metabolism slowing down." For me it was, I think, not a factor. My metabolism had certainly slowed from the fitter days of my youth, but that was because I had become inactive and had very poor eating habits. Once those corrections were made, I have lost weight pretty consistently and the time it took felt natural and healthy -- of course I lost more quickly in the beginning, as most people do, and then it slowed as I got closer to a healthy weight. Whether age-related metabolism is a factor or not, I don't think it really matters. The path to losing weight and getting fit is the same. So it may take a little longer and the margin for error (like eating something we know we shouldn't sometimes) may be smaller, it's still the same path to walk. Patience and persistence is key, as always.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This hasn't been mentioned in a while:

there's a great group of women dieting, maintaining, and getting to know their new menopausal bodies here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

Best of luck!

Thanks for this link. I'm hitting an error page. Has the group name changed or something?
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I am -38# at 4 months (almost) and was forced into menopause after a total hysterectomy in my 20's. I am following the exact plan that I would have otherwise; keep my caloriie intake at recommended & exercise. No secrets to share... Sorry!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!