Diet pop - is it really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Ross36
    Ross36 Posts: 1
    Options
    Soda is mainly bad for your bones whether it is diet or regular. It has high levels of phosphates which decrease the Calcium levels in your plasma, so your body responds by releasing parathyroid hormone. This works at the bones to release calcium. The hormone also inhibits your kidney's ability to reabsorb the calcium in the plasma, so basically you are peeing out your bones.

Always choose water!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Ross36 wrote: »
    Soda is mainly bad for your bones whether it is diet or regular. It has high levels of phosphates which decrease the Calcium levels in your plasma, so your body responds by releasing parathyroid hormone. This works at the bones to release calcium. The hormone also inhibits your kidney's ability to reabsorb the calcium in the plasma, so basically you are peeing out your bones.

Always choose water!

I think sodas in moderation dont really impact on osteoporosis.

The other thing is your "always drink water" statement - is there anyone out there who really ALWAYS drinks water - no coffee, tea, fruit juice, soda, wine, beer, milk etc?

I would venture to say very few.

So whilst drinking water is good, there is no reason to see it in such extreme "only": terms - most people manage to drink water and also drink other beverages, which may or may not include soft drinks.

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Carbonation can affect your teeth.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda because of my lack of trust in anything made by man and laced with tons of strange chemicals. The scientific egg-heads debate this issue with little resolution. Who knows if its healthy or not?
    I just choose to drink water and green tea each dashed with lemon juice. To each his own.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Anyone here really know how many chemicals are added to your municipal water supply?

But at least there are more regulations governing the content and quality of tap water than there are for bottled water (in my country anyway).

Diet pop is fine, unless you are sensitive to one of the additives. It's mostly carbonated WATER.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    psmd wrote: »
    Carbonation can affect your teeth.

Yes that is a valid point - not just diet soda, of course.

Dental hygiene is also important.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes it's bad. Give it all to me.
  • lbee0030
    lbee0030 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i thought the topic said diet poop ...
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If you have been making progress drinking the diet soda, why would you feel the need to change that? It is a no calorie drink. Treat it as such.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I was a diet pop addict for years. I liked the kind with caffeine. I feel better not drinking it; that kind of tummy bloating feeling. I replaced the addiction to pop with an addiction to black tea ;)
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Yes. It corrodes your bones.
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Explore more options than diet soda or water. Personally I find it helpful to drink teas (many different types). This helps me to not drink diet sodas any more and not miss flavoured no cal drinks as I have healthier ones now.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke and I will never give it up. If I gave it up, it would only be for cost reasons. I drink a lot of it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    drink more, totes good to go. It's made from water afterall.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why not just drink water? Much more satisfying.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Put it this way. Tipping coke down your toilet helps to remove limescale, so imagine what these drinks might do to your teeth if you drink them too much........
  • paperpudding
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Put it this way. Tipping coke down your toilet helps to remove limescale, so imagine what these drinks might do to your teeth if you drink them too much........

Well, yes, - but you do clean your teeth, dont you?
  • paperpudding
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Why not just drink water? Much more satisfying.

See my post on page 1 about "just" drinking water.