Options
    Either;
    1. Stop caring what people think
    2. Take the cookie and don't eat it
    3. Pretend you've got a gluten allergy
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    They have gotten offended, yes, so now in order not to deal with that, I take it and then either give it away or surreptitiously throw it away when no one is looking. U could also lie and say "sorry, I'm diabetic, I can't." That's how I get rid of the Girl Scouts.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    cgvoabc wrote: »
    I was raised to be polite ALL...THE...TIME. My wife hates that about me. I'd rather take the chocolate and not eat it then refuse it and risk offending someone. Good or Bad; I don't know but that's how I manage those types of situations.

You can politely refuse. That is possible. It's all in the delivery. If those you are refusing take offense, that's on them, not on you. They aren't being polite to you if they force food on you through guilt.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    They have gotten offended, yes, so now in order not to deal with that, I take it and then either give it away or surreptitiously throw it away when no one is looking. U could also lie and say "sorry, I'm diabetic, I can't." That's how I get rid of the Girl Scouts.

fdc6c4189b1786190acbd28d5f61231f83a5e4c7dae5a50f3e4317c1ad91b003.jpg
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i'd of taken it and kept it till I left, then on route to wherever i was going throw it in bin.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTagJgjyHHyOn4wEZKCc5JCdhYHCe9sQ-y74bTQo2IHJHq_XUDL
  • mccindy72
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIk9gM4EDSCYN6qfvhVRD-eYIf3HuoRFQaDf5R0ddHB7fYrxh3
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Next time drink the milk...
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Dogs-Do-Not-Want-2.jpg
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, lactose, gluten, corn, and oat intolerant. People don't usually give me crap about politely saying no thank you.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I'm vegan, lactose, gluten, corn, and oat intolerant. People don't usually give me crap about politely saying no thank you.

Holy cow, someone like me. Do you have a diagnosis? FR me if you don't mind.
  • I say, if it's from a stranger, just politely say no thanks and you've done all you can do. You're not responsible for how they react.

However, if a friend is offering you a cookie they made, I'd say take one. One cookie won't kill you and it's worth it to show appreciation to your friend for his/her kind gesture.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    they are baristas. thats just their normal affect.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat it, make the room in your day for it. Otherwise "No, thank you" is polite and enough. If people push you after that, they are the rude ones.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you were offered so much free food? Now I'm jealous. I had to pay for my weight myself. :'(

Seriously, though, people get butthurt over me refusing stuff from them all the time. Even when I wasn't watching what I eat, I never liked accepting treats that are getting passed around. Plus, I don't drink alcohol and that's probably what most people get offended by. At work I have had to turn down so many birthday and anniversary drinks because people never bother to have some juice or soda or whatever else around. I just don't care. I don't tell them what to do, either.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    clariemoo wrote: »
    I just got some dirty and wtf type of looks cause I said no to the free piece of chocolate with the coffee I ordered ... the people behind the counter stared at me like I was an alien and were like "omg but its free!!!!!" . What is it with the obligation to eat something cause its free ?

I'm calling BS. Cafe employees are not going to be "offended" by a customer politely refusing free food. They might be surprised, but not offended. They don't care about you or what you think and their feelings are not engaged. I smile and say "no thanks" to free treats from people who are employed to offer them to me all the time and everybody seems to take it in stride. I am 44 years old and no one has ever acted as though I were socially "obligated" to take free food from a cafe or restaurant worker.

There's either a lot more to this story (for instance, perhaps you have a history with these workers and they already don't like you because you've earned it: you do sound like you've got a hair trigger temper), or a lot less (this simply didn't happen and you really just want to resent and blame people for offering you food that you didn't really want to turn down at all).

How deal with calorific treats offered by loved ones or colleagues without offending them is a valid question. Free food in cafes is not.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I just got some dirty and wtf type of looks cause I said no to the free piece of chocolate with the coffee I ordered ... the people behind the counter stared at me like I was an alien and were like "omg but its free!!!!!" . What is it with the obligation to eat something cause its free ? Its that
    type of mentality that caused me to overeat/gain weight in the first place and that I had to unlearn per say and learn how to say No to food (which was tough).

I also hurt one of my friends feelings cause I refused a cookie from her once ...

Have you guys ever offended people due to that ? Have you even hurt relationships or how do you even respond?
    Next time,
    Just take the offering and trash it when they are not looking.
    or say I am saving it for later.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I just got some dirty and wtf type of looks cause I said no to the free piece of chocolate with the coffee I ordered ... the people behind the counter stared at me like I was an alien and were like "omg but its free!!!!!" . What is it with the obligation to eat something cause its free ? Its that
    type of mentality that caused me to overeat/gain weight in the first place and that I had to unlearn per say and learn how to say No to food (which was tough).

I also hurt one of my friends feelings cause I refused a cookie from her once ...

Have you guys ever offended people due to that ? Have you even hurt relationships or how do you even respond?
    Next time,
    Just take the offering and trash it when they are not looking.
    or say I am saving it for later.

Taking someone's cookie and then trashing it sounds like way more of a dick move than just being honest with them in the first place. Just have a bit of backbone and politely decline; don't lie to their face and waste the food they spent time and money preparing.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've never been offended by someone offering me food. Food is fuel which keeps me alive, therefore someone offering me food is basically saying "hey, I like you, and I would prefer it if you did not die."

I would take the chocolate, eat it if I wanted it then, or saved it for later, or given it to someone else to brighten their day, or thrown it out later if none of the above options were possible. A polite thank you and a smile to another human being is worth more than spending 3 seconds of my life deciding what to do with a piece of chocolate.