Did counselling for low self-esteem help you lose weight?

Options
After I've posted a few threads and been recommended to seek counselling, and I can feel a lot of emotional issues arising surrounding food, I have made an appointment to start counselling next week.

Briefly - don't want to bore you :) - I have self-esteem problems, I left an abusive relationship earlier in the year where I was constantly called fat, my mother called me fat etc all through my childhood even though I wasn't, and I have a history of EDs.

Now I want to lose weight but I want to be healthy and have a healthy attitude towards food, my body and myself.

Has anyone with similar issues been for counselling and found it helped them to lose weight?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was already in counseling before I started my weight loss journey for depression/anxiety issues, but yes it definitely helped me.
  • msmaggs89
    msmaggs89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Counselling didn't teach me to lose weight. Rather, it taught me to love myself regardless, whether I was skinny, normal, fat. You get in this headspace where you believe that being the right size is the only way to be worthy of any love or respect, and that's *kitten*. I found that when I learned to be okay with myself and my body, and find love and respect without thinking about my size as a limiting factor in my search, then I was okay with looking at losing weight and being healthy. I had EDs, I've been overweight my whole life, and I've had plenty of people get down on me for being larger, including people I loved and cared for who made me feel so horrible. Those people were selfish, cruel idiots. They didn't understand, they didn't come from a place of love, and most never knew love themselves, or how to love themselves. You learn to be bigger than that, and you'll be happy, at any size. Until I learned to love myself, I could never have done what I'm doing now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    Has anyone with similar issues been for counselling and found it helped them to lose weight?

I'm not sure that counselling will help you lose weight per se, but it should help with your confidence issues, and your relationship with food. Both of which will help you as you change your approach to eating, and training.

It's a work in progress, as we all are, and you use the sessions to help you identify the tools that will help you, and think through how to apply them.

That said, it can be a challenging process, so I commend you for getting this far, and wish you all the best with it.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It could help you not to do emotional eating. That's a big thing for a lot of us, incl. me.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    definitely emotional eating is a big thing for me and I think that I need to improve my self esteem before I can lose weight, as well as learning how to deal with things in a way that doesn't make me reach for food x
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It could help you not to do emotional eating. That's a big thing for a lot of us, incl. me.
    Really that's a super important thing. Food shouldn't be an emotional crutch that you run too to feel better. Not that you can't feel dissatisfied with your physical shape but you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. Just start making healthy changes and feel good about making progress.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience in this area but I'll just say that it's important to be happy with yourself and emotionally stable, and if counseling gets you to that point, then definitely do it. Losing weight and lifting can help improve your confidence but if deep down you've convinced yourself that you hate yourself, improving your body composition isn't going to fix that.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good for you for reaching out and making the first step of getting help. I received help for low self-esteem/depression issues. Losing weight was a great side affect of really changing my whole outlook on myself and my life. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I never went to counseling. I just got determined to stop letting myself get in my own way. I don't know about anyone else but I found any emotional issues or bad feelings about my weight never came from other people. Nobody ever said a word to me. It was me putting myself down, nobody else. It was me with the negative thoughts. It was me beating myself up for not doing the right things. What ever feelings I was having wasn't because anyone else was saying anything to me about my weight. I was doing it to myself. It was in my own head. You do have control over your own thoughts and actions and nobody can fix that but you. At least that is my experience.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Counseling never helped me personally. I just woke up one day and said "*insert swear here* it! I'm tired of feeling like this" and just sort of forced myself to smile and tell myself I shouldn't feel like crap because of other people. I started working out, watching what I eat and I've lost 21 pounds so far, admittedly it took me over a year
  • pcaakes
    pcaakes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently participated in two zumba classes. I am trying to do something different so my physical activity doesn't get boring. The first class was a kick so I was motivated to attend the second classes 2 days later. From the moment I entered the door of the second class I heard voices in my head saying "what are you doing here, look at yourself in the mirror, you look terrible, you look absolutely ridiculous". Over and over like a broken record for an entire hour I heard these voices. On the last song I couldn't take it any more and bolted for the door. I don't know what it was except for low self esteem creeping back in. I too have thought about counseling yet don't feel it is affordable. Absolutely STUMPED!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight loss helped with my low self esteem. Counseling never helped me and it sure as hell didn't help me lose weight.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm too early in the process to say for sure if counseling has helped with my weight loss, but it has definitely helped me start to see through the weeds. Before therapy, I wasn't convinced I'd ever lose weight or be happy. I had horrible anxiety and self-esteem issues. I have dealt with depression for years and was finally diagnosed with Major Depression. In the 1 Year and 3 months that I've been in therapy, I have noticed a huge change in myself. I still deal with anxious moments. I still battle depression. And my self-esteem is not always on point, but I feel I can function more like a "normal" human being now. I've learned that a certain amount of discomfort is normal and a part of every day life.

Therapy has helped me put issues into perspective and gain tools I use every day. More than anything, I was able to see the chronology of my behaviors, how they impact each other, and how to start reversing. The first year of my therapy worked on correcting tendencies toward absolutism, fear of failure and success, stress management, mindfulness, ED, and healing old wounds--all of which played a key role in my gaining weight. This second year is set to focus on the straight-up weight loss part--keeping my ED in check, being able to lose weight in a longterm manner, consistency, working through issues that typically accompany major weight loss, and self-accountability. Because of my ED my therapist is very involved with my weight loss.

Like anything, therapy is only as good as what you put into it. Not only am I completely honest (I've told her things I barely even acknowledge myself), I try 100% on all the writing/visualization exercises she gives me. I read and take notes on all the supplemental materials she assigns. You have to work as hard outside of the appointment as you do inside. These might seem like overkill, but I find it keeps the conversation of the previous session going and keeps me actively thinking and working on my issues on a daily basis--a forward motion.

Therapy does not guarantee weight loss, of course. But I think the topics touched upon aid in weight loss, especially if you're someone who has an emotional relationship with food. Gaining more insight into how I naturally process things, has helped me start to figure out what works well for me weight loss-wise and what does not. I've learned how my brain works and what types of motivational tools work well for me. I understand better my pitfalls with procrastination and discipline, and how they relate to my previous weight loss false starts.

Good luck with your session!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Yep. Same here.

I only overeat or drink when I am depressed, I wasn't overweight until I become unwell. Therapy helped me not to be depressed (or catch and sort it out at an early stage) and the weight's coming off as a result. Eating cr*p is usually one of the first indicators that things aren't great for me.

But although my relationship with food hasn't always been good, I've not had an eating disorder, so your experience may be different. Talking to someone really helped with the low self-esteem though, leading to me treating my body with the kindness it deserved. Even if it's not about weight loss, I was encouraged to do things that felt good, including exercise, just for myself.

Making sure your physical and mental health needs are met - because you are good enough - and being accepting of yourself are all things therapy can help you with. They won't make the weight loss easy, but they provide good foundations that'll make you more successful and healthy.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    pcaakes - I feel the same in group classes *hugs*

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful supportive messages. Emotional eating is a definitely problem for me and I think I sabotage my weight loss efforts to punish myself, because I don't feel worth it - and because I kind of feel like if I lose weight then those nasty people who have bullied me will have "won". And I know that is not a healthy mindset at all.
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My story isn't counseling per se, but definitely talking things out with someone else. It's my very first post at wellnesswithspecialneeds.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.