Questions about Stronglifts 5x5

Options
2»

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1) It depends on your strength level starting out. I started at 45 lbs on all lifts except deadlifts, which I started at 95 lbs. The 25 lb plates bring the bar off the floor a bit, which helps you perform the deadlift correctly, and 95 lbs was definitely doable for me, even as a newbie.

2) "Definition" is just decreased body fat. That happens in the kitchen. If you're eating at a deficit, you won't gain muscle by lifting weights, you'll maintain the muscle you already have. As you lose fat, you will get more of the definition you're seeing, but fat loss is about what you eat.

3) If done correctly, weight lifting is hard. If it wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be worth doing it. You need to work hard to get great results. It's hard, but manageable.

4) I did 5x5 from April-June this year. In 12 weeks, I lost about 10 lbs (eating at a slight deficit, 1850 calories per day) and quite a few inches from my body. The results were visible, but not dramatic. Super impressive physical changes take time and dedication. It doesn't happen overnight.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I did a little bit of reading up on this routine just have a few questions...

1) Do women also begin at 45 lb?
    2) Will this only give my arms definition.. i would also like to see definition in my abs and butt, should i do additional ab exercises?
    3) I am a complete beginner when it comes to weight training... how hard is it?
    4) If you have done this what are your results/ thoughts on the program.. how soon did you see progress.

1) I've doing this for about 3 weeks. I've been able to progressively get heavier at the squats and deadlifts, but the bench, overhead and rows has been slow progress. I started bench at 40 lb. Start at what is best for YOU.
    2) The squats for every workout will work your gluts, abs and quads. The deadlifts will work your hamstrings...so definitely more than just your arms. I still do additional ab work on strength training days after the weights.
    3) if you follow the program....easy peasy
    4) just starting and I was sick for a week, so minimal results so far, though I do see a bit in the shoulders. It will take longer for me to see it in the butt and legs as that is where I carry most of my weight.

I started lifting with Stronglifts being a complete heavy lifting/barbell noob... seriously. Looking over the iPhone app, the website, and having people show me proper form, I'm HOOKED! The website has so much information, and after so many weeks, I've noticed changes in my body...
    Like you, @micheleld73, I'm getting a slow progression on my overhead presses! But I don't stop doing them! (no matter how many times I curse at the bar, ha ha)

And by easy, it's really easy to follow. I need structure. This program is PERFECT for beginners. Good luck! And update us on how you do!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    1) I started most of my lifts at 45 lbs. My overhead press was the only lift that I had to start lower than that. I used a 35 lb barbell to start for overhead press. Some are able to start higher, some need to start lower. Find what works for you :)

2) This gave me definition all over my body. The 5 lifts that Stronglifts has you do are compound movements, which means that they work more than one muscle group in your body. Lots of them encompass your abdominal area so you don't necessarily need to add any ab workouts. If anything, I'd add in lateral pull downs to work your back more. I stuck with the 5 lifts only and saw results all over my body :)

3) The hardest thing for me was getting the form correct. It's easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing so make sure you perfect form at a lighter weight before adding more on. Slow and steady!

4) I didn't lose a lot of weight when I did this program, however I did lose inches and I got a lot stronger! I was happier with my body than when I finished the Insanity program. I started seeing results probably about a month in. Increase your protein intake and make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body. I loved Stronglifts and would recommend it to anyone who is starting to lift for the first time. It is a very beginner program with the 5 main lifts so you don't have to worry about learning SO many new workouts. It's easy to follow and the app is very useful to help track progress.

Good luck :D
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

2) Will this only give my arms definition.. i would also like to see definition in my abs and butt, should i do additional ab exercises?
    4) If you have done this what are your results/ thoughts on the program.. how soon did you see progress.

Stronglifts is an excellent way to get into weightlifting. It focuses on a few core compound lifts to get you a good base.

Answers are my opinion only:

1) Yes if you can do 45lbs. Some women can't, not a knock, just upper body strength especially isn't as prominent in women.

2) Squats work your entire core and your butt. You will experience tightening of your core muscles as you build muscle there and your glutes. As mentioned before, if you're wanting to see ab definition, you're going to have to get to a borderline unhealthy bodyfat% for a woman to do so. Stronglifts (or any) lifting program alone will not do that.

3) I chose Stronglifts because it was simple to follow. The lifts themselves are not overly complex either, but you MUST do them properly. Do not cheat, do not use bad form, you can hurt yourself doing that. Remember, FAILURE IS OK. Failure is how you grow. If you never fail lifting you're not doing something right.

So, to answer your question: It starts easy so you learn to do the lifts properly but fairly quickly starts to get challenging. It differs from person to person how quickly that happens.

4) I've been doing Stronglifts since about February. I have not been super disciplined about it (I tend to do good for 6 weeks, slack for a few) and I have seen a lot of changes. The #s aren't important but I've seen significant improvement especially in my Deadlift and over head press. More importantly, I've put on a lot of muscle though my shoulders arms and back.

IME, I didn't notice a ton of "change" in my body over the first 3 months, but these past 3 months I really have. I've put on a lot of muscle though my shoulders arms and back.

I would highly recommend this program to a novice weightlifter who is looking to build a strong base and learn the important core lifts. If after the 3 months (or whatever the intro period is) you want to try something different, go for it, but you'll have gotten a solid foundation into lifting.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, that link in the post above mine. There's what you need to know!
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers all :) getting excited to give it a try
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to try this program as well however I have hip issues and cannot get my squat down to form. My hips never drop below my knees. Any suggestions?

• micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just found out about another program called "Ice Cream Fitness". It's Stronglifts 5x5 on steroids (just kidding -it's just 5x5 with some extra exercises). I'm going to be implementing this into my routine!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options

Yes as that is the weight of the Olympic style bar.

This will work your whole body, you don' t need to do any ab exercises. The squats and dead lifts will really work your core, butt and legs.

Watch lots of videos on proper form for the exercises. Better yet, if you are at a gym get a trainer to help you so you can get the form correct. The exercises are not that difficult to pick up, and since there are only a few of them you can really get the form down really well. Either way expect to be sore for the first while, but know the soreness will go away.

I do a different program, but have lifted weights for decades. If I knew about this years back I would have done it for sure. I have heard great success from those who do this. It will form a strong foundation for future exercise.