I'm a food machine !!

Options
2»

Replies

• fishpastille
    Options
    Forget about the supplements and fad diets - as you have found out, they really don't work and are a total waste of time and money. FYI, even if you have gastric bypass, you have to learn to eat a certain way so I'd suggest trying it on your own first.

I'm not sure why you were so unsatisfied with the weight loss you had before? You lost 7kg which is pretty darn good, even if it took several weeks, you were obviously making progress. We all want to lose the weight immediately, but that's just not how our bodies work so we have to come to terms with it and be patient. I'm not sure how much you want to lose but generally, 1/2 a kg per week is reasonable.

Who cares if you can only go 20 minutes? We all have to start somewhere. With some time and practice, you can start walking further/faster. As far as alternatives, there are plenty of fun things you can do at home. There are tons of videos on YouTube or FitnessBlender or you can just google for at home workouts and find lots of ideas or just crank up the tunes and dance around your place for 20-30 minutes.

The most important thing with weight loss is keeping your eating in check. Start logging consistently and as accurately as you can and set small achievable goals. You will get there in time! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your support, I need to get rid of 25 kilos and my main problem is the maitenance and motivation. I find it really hard to maintain a good and healthy diet especially that I'm most of time at home and my husband is a food lover too and doesn't eat any of the healthy meals of veggies and salads, he loves those greasy heavy meals and even if I ate small portions I won't lose any weight while he's loves clearing meal dishes and he can still have a nice fit body LOL
  • fishpastille
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    There is a difference between will power in eating things you should not be eating and actual hunger. You say things like water and apples make you more hungry but the rest of your post makes it seem like your battle isn't about physical hunger but more about your actions and lack of will power. You said that you eat even when you are feeling full.

If you are actually hungry, let yourself eat however much you need to at first but limit the food to healthy things like grilled chicken and vegetables. I find that when I eat too much carbs like bread, rice, and pasta for a prolonged period of time, I get into a state where I am just constantly hungry. Eating protein and vegetables help get off the crazy blood sugar spikes train.

However, it sounds like will power is what you are battling against. Throw out everything you know you should not eat. Don't even have it in the house. Can you get childcare from family so you can get out of the house for most of the day? Go study at the library where there are no food temptations. If nothing on your own works then think about seeing a therapist or a eating support group.

As far as exercise, if you don't get your eating under control, exercise will not do much to help you lose weight. However, the two may go hand in hand, at least for me it goes. I have never been successful at keeping a calorie deficit when I do not regularly exercise. For me, exercise is a great motivation to eat healthy and limit your calories because 1) I do not want a donut when I think about how long/difficult it is to burn off those 300 calories on a treadmill and 2) I feel myself get more fit and healthy when I exercise which is extra motivation to move more and continue eating well even when the pounds are not coming off as easily. When I am not sweating and putting in so much effort and pain into exercise, I tend to think I will eat better and less at the next meal. When I have already put in 45 minutes on the starmaster, I will not let that time go to waste.

And yes, sweat sucks. Exercise sucks, especially at first. Every time I go crazy and stop exercising for a few months, the first two weeks of doing cardio makes me want to throw up. Then it starts to feel better and better (although I would still much rather sit on the couch and watch TV if health and calories were all the same...). When you first start out, know that it will feel better if you just keep with it. But also, you have to challenge your body to change it. When it hurts and you are hating what you are doing, ask yourself whether the change you want is worth the pain. If not then don't do it and stay the same. If so, then grit your teeth and get through it.

Thank you so much for your reply and advices, by reading the part about exercise I felt very motivated to start exercising at home following youtube fitness coaches, In fact I've done it few months ago and it was so much fun with my LO exercising as well LOL. I agree in the part that when you exercise you don't want to eat any junkie that will multiply what you've done by 0 . Thank you

• fishpastille
    Options

Thanks for your reply , I've never thought about logging my intake this sounds like a good idea . Thanks for all the other tips too

Hmmm... You've never thought about logging your intake, huh? What, pray tell, brought you to MFP?? [/quote]

I'm registered for over 3 years and sometimes I log in to read the success stories, but the reason for my registration was my interest in meal calories on the MFP app.
  • fishpastille
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    As a person who also enjoys being full and satisfied, I usually eat just enough in the mornings to get through my workouts and then save all the rest of my calories for dinner so I can have a big meal. I used to eat a very light lunch also (like a 200 cal salad) but after working a high stress job for a few months where I frequently skipped lunch to work, I found that I didn't get hungry around lunch so just cut it out. One big meal works much better for me than trying to eat 5 small meals a day which just leaves me hungry and unsatisfied all day long. Having a lot of calories left for dinner also means I can eat the same meal as my husband which makes dinner prep a lot easier. I don't go crazy and eat beyond my calorie goals though at dinner. Some people have problems with this if they limit their calories too much during the day. You just have to find a method that your body likes. If IF worked for you before, do it again.

Thank you , you seem to be same me I hate small meals too and IF was not a hard diet as long as I have a satisfying dinner while eating a healthy 6 small meals a day made me crazy and thinking about food all the time. I think I will definitely have to redo IF.

• fishpastille
    Options
    Even after losing 60 lbs I still have major food binges. They usually happen when I am at home alone. Being at home is a weakness for me. I do better when I work long days at the office or on the go on weekends. Since you're confined to home, that sounds like a tough deal for you. My only advice would be to not keep tempting food around, find activities to keep your mind occupied and maybe lay out a schedule of meals.

Thank you for your reply. I can't agree more, being at home all day is kind of forcing you to think about binges and make it tough to fight those bast**d cravings

• fishpastille
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Some of us use food to self-medicate depression or whatever...
    I had issues to address with a shrink before I could conquer my health and weight problems.
    Only you can answer this for yourself...

Thank you for your reply, yes that's true my main issue is boredom and the feeling of " nothing to do " .

Happy to hear you overcame all your weight problems.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thank you for your advice, Yes I must confess that I won't lose a single gram if I'm doing like 1600 calories a day, this has never worked for me before. If I wanna lose weight I think I shouldn't exceed 800 calories , yes this may sound unhealthy but that's the only way I can see improvements on my scale and of course you can imagine the hunger that I'm feeling all the day especially when I was breastfeeding , Oh dear I don't wanna remember those days :neutral_face:
    Thanks for your reply , I've never thought about logging my intake this sounds like a good idea . Thanks for all the other tips too

you aren't making sense.

secondly 800 calories is way to low- and thirdly- how do you know that's "just the way it has to be" if you haven't been accurately logging??
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    you know what to do so it's more about getting in the right frame of mind to do it. Hating yourself is always a rubbish place to start. I have failed at every diet that started with "I hate myself so much I need to be / look / think different" (even if all that is true!)

How about starting with how much you love your child. How much your beautiful child loves you (the Goddess in that world). Get rid of at least half the junk on your shopping list. (I used to buy-and eat a box of maltesers every time I went shopping when I was mum to small children...I never set out to do this, it just ended up in the basket, then in the kitchen, then in my mouth) If it's not in the fridge (I'm thinking soda) then you wont scoff it. Don't be afraid for it to be a slow process. Did your child walk right out the womb? There has been a lot of advice, and a lot is very good. ANY walking you start doing will be good -providing you don't play in traffic.

START. Don't worry about the finish. About being perfect. We are not perfect, most of us start and fail...the trick to it seems to be carrying on afterwards.
    Being kind to yourself is not stuffing in bags of chips or bread or chocolate (I say these, I have never stress eaten celery). :D
  • lpetz088
    Options
    Hi Fish, I have a big appetite too and I don't overly worry about the health of what I'm eating so much as it's fill capacity for the calorie. That does mean a lot of protein typically for me since I'm not much of a veggie girl. I like to stay full and satisfied, but just be taking in less calories when I'm slimming down. Some of my go to foods are nice big pan of egg beaters for an omlette and I add a triangle of swiss skinny cow cheese and a sprinkle of cheddar and spinach. Hardly any calories but a pile of food. Even with the microwave bacon, there are some brands where four slices are only 80 cals. Together that's a TON of food for under 300 cals. Some other filling food -- the 40 cal turkey hotdogs, I'll fry up four at a time with a little cheese and still it's hardly any cals and lots of lean protein if you don't mind processed. I'll also do a big serving of fat free cottage cheese and pair it with diet root beer. The diet root beer is crazy filling and makes it easier to eat a lot of cottage cheese. A nice salmon fillet or other baked or grilled fish paired with greek yogurt is pretty satisfying too. Fish sticks to your ribs and seems to go the fill distance. In general eggs of any sort I feel like I get full up on without spending as many calories as it feels like I'm eating. Oh one other good one -- when you're dying for sweets I do root beer floats with diet root beer and 90 cals or so of vanilla frozen yogurt. Feels like a full on treat not some ridiculous bite sized diet treat and is a good tie over, especially if you just need something sweet rather than dying of hunger. Hope that helps!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I hope you start taking care of yourself today and quit doing all this destructive overeating. I think food is our drug, yes self medicating. Realizing it is the first step. You can do this. You might can read some good books like Geneen Roth on emotional eating. Eating does not solve our problems and it does take work to lose weight so start logging and MFP doesn't want you under 1200 calories, and then find something else to do and learn to set boundaries with yourself and say No.
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think a huge breakthrough for me was realizing that to lose weight and get in shape you need to NOT be hungry all the time because that sets one up for self sabotage.
    My key rule is pre-planning meals. If i have a meal plan for the day with ample supplies of snacks inbetween meals all consisting of 'safe' foods and drinks that fit into my caloric goal for the day I don't feel like I'm going without, and thusly I can easily stick to that kind of lifestyle for a while.
    Also while i'm not a massive fan of 'cheat days' etc because that can have alot of negative issues attached to it but if you are doing well eating and exercising DO treat yourself every now and again to foods that you like - don't let caloric goals become an oppressive mental prison cell, if you go over some days or under others then that's life and that's healthy!
    All the best. We're all rooting for you! :)
  • AllieUK
    AllieUK Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thank you for your advice, Yes I must confess that I won't lose a single gram if I'm doing like 1600 calories a day, this has never worked for me before. If I wanna lose weight I think I shouldn't exceed 800 calories , yes this may sound unhealthy but that's the only way I can see improvements on my scale and of course you can imagine the hunger that I'm feeling all the day especially when I was breastfeeding , Oh dear I don't wanna remember those days :neutral_face:

800 calories a day is not healthy long term, and you definitely won't be able to stick to it because you will be hungry and craving food ALL the time!

However the 5:2 diet is fasting 2 of the days, so you only eat 500 calories (which really isn't a lot) but the rest of the day you can eat normally, so you are still staying healthy and it doesn't matter if you are craving chocolate or something really bad on your fasting day, because you know that tomorrow you can eat some.

I really think this might be something you should try, I don't do it anymore but I'd recommend it to anybody. You should read up on it online and see if you think it would work for you.

Also, losing weight doesnt happen over night! Its a long haul, but eating better will help you mentally as well as physically :)
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    DON'T DON'T DONT do gastric bypass surgery until you consider all the risks (that doctors often don't tell you about, they're in it for the money)! I'm majoring in nutrition and I just learned last week that there are extreme risks involved with this surgery (4-7% of people die within the first year)... not to mention there are an extremely long lists of side effects.

Your emotional eating struggle is something you need to face and resolve.. I struggle with emotional eating as well, though not everyday. Some days I have myself under control and others I binge eat like crazy (mostly on the weekends). However, I've come to realize what emotions trigger my eating and I'm learning how to deal with those emotions in other ways. When you feel like overeating, take a step back and reflect on what you're feeling. I personally do it when I'm bored or anxious. So I find fun activities that will relieve those symptoms :smile: And of course, binge eating still happens on occasion but I don't beat myself up over it anymore. The most important thing I've learned is to FORGIVE myself, MOVE ON, and LOVE MYSELF no matter what! No one's perfect and you are more than your weight. Once you learn to love yourself (at any size), I know that your life will totally change around. It's hard, but everyone deserves to love themselves :) Also, I STRONGLY SUGGEST check out this video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uVajeKY87g&app=desktop