Is 1700 calories a day too much?

Options
I am 5 foot 5 and weigh 180 pounds. I want to lose 10 pounds but the scale is not budging. I was eating 900-1000 calories a day and working out everyday. I was told to raise my calories and reduce my workouts. Do you think 1700 calories and 3 workouts a week would help me reach my goal?

Replies

• cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Are you sure you are logging correctly?
    Yes
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and TDEE; that will tell you if that's too much/little. Just google for a calculator.

Likely, you would lose on 1700. I'm two inches taller than you, but 15lbs lighter and I'd lose about 0.75-8lbs per week at that intake.

Since you don't have much to lose you shouldn't be looking to lose more than about 0.5lbs per week (so a 250 cal per day deficit). Such a small deficit means that you need to be really accurate with your logging.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1700 is a perfect amount. Try it, see what happens!
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    Yes

Well unfortunately if you were eating so little you would be losing. So you are either over estimating your TDEE, under estimating your intake, or both.

I originally was losing a lot of weight. Then the weight loss stopped.
  • kjmace
    kjmace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »

I agree at 900 calories a day your body goes into survival mode and hangs on the the weight it has, as it thinks it is starving.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    Yes

Well unfortunately if you were eating so little you would be losing. So you are either over estimating your TDEE, under estimating your intake, or both.

I originally was losing a lot of weight. Then the weight loss stopped.

And why is it unfortunate?
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    blazepurr wrote: »
    blazepurr wrote: »
    900-1000 would DEFINITELY have you losing weight.. considering this, make sure you have a food scale (preferably electronic) and weigh some of your food. Some people aren't so good at estimating their portions
    Also 1700 sounds reasonable but to me that sounds like quite a slow weight loss :)
    gl x

Please stop promoting eating anything under 1200. It is unhealthy.

I didn't tell her to eat 900 calories, I said that it it would produce weight loss as opposed to her saying it didn't

Yes but your attitude about eating 900 calories wasn't exactly negative. Your comment could motivate others to continue down their path of having an unhealthy daily intake.
    Hisoka_disappointed.png

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    keep your cals just under where they need to be. definitely not 1000. if you loose weight too fast you lose fat yes but you also loose the tissue that keeps you looking good, so in the end you just become a smaller version of what you already are. you want to loose fat and keep the good stuff and to do that you want to do it slowly to retain the muscle on ya. (even if you are female) lift some weights.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    kjmace wrote: »

I agree at 900 calories a day your body goes into survival mode and hangs on the the weight it has, as it thinks it is starving.
    No, sorry. No survival mode.

OP, get a handle on the logging.

I have a handle on the logging. Thank you for your advice.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    I know that one day I'm going to ask a question on this website and there will be nothing but constructive, positive comments without anyone arguing.

• cookieinbk82
    Options
    kjmace wrote: »

No, sorry. No survival mode.

OP, get a handle on the logging.

I have a handle on the logging. Thank you for your advice.

If you did you'd be losing weight

Obviously not of im asking this question. Again, thank you for your comments and advice.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »
    keep your cals just under where they need to be. definitely not 1000. if you loose weight too fast you lose fat yes but you also loose the tissue that keeps you looking good, .
    and you risk kidney and gall stones!

• NoirMeow
    NoirMeow Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am 5 ft and 110 lbs. I plan to lose 15 lbs in 7 - 8 months (to meet my ideal BMI – 18.6), so it would be 0.5 lb per week. Here is my approach:

Exercises

- Walking (mod. pace): < 1 hr

- Thigh workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VusCUj61wDA

- Belly workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqxxtxXWMsM

- Cardio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s

Diets

- 1200 calories intake daily (sugar and fat reduction, but I love rice so… >.<)

- Have 6 – 7 meals during the day (after every 2 hours): a lot of small meals will build metabolism, as will the lack of actual calories in them, causing you to burn more.

- Make sure your body stay hydrated enough (http://www.h4hinitiative.com/)

- Detoxification: black coffee or lemon water

Tips

- Say no to excessive exercise: too much of anything is bad. The trick is to start your exercise with short amount of time (30mins/week for example) and then increase it to 35, 40 the next following weeks.

- Don’t starve yourself: that will only make you feel exhausted and hungry, plus your metabolism will be slower down since your body decides to keep as much of the calories and fat intake as a survival strategy (like Polar bear in the winter ^^~)

- Keep your expectation low: losing 0.5 lb/week is more realistic compares to 1lb/week. The possibility of meeting your goal is thus higher and you will be satisfied when achieve, which then motivates you to continue.

Anyway, happy losing weight everybody!
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    first things first, i would say 1200 to 1500 cals is optimum for a nice weight drop, 1700 will get you there over a longer period of time (and although that's good, sometimes its hard to stay motivated when the results are slow)

And although I agree with the survival mode/storing fat thing when you eat super low calories, the point to remember is you WOULD lose weight if you did eat 900 to 1000 cals a day. Your body WOULD start consuming its fat stores. your metabolism WOULD slow down, but you would still be losing weight. Otherwise, people with eating disorders/starving due to poverty would look healthy and robust right? because of survival mode? doesn't sound right to me.

Iv'e been in your position, so trust me, 1500ish is a good place to start, stay motivated and be positive and you'll get there. It's all a matter of dedication and perception.

(also consider seeing your doc for any medical related reasons you might be struggling to shed the weight)