Is 1700 calories a day too much?

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    OP, can you open your food diary? 1700 with only 3 hours of exercise might be a it much. Also, how long have you "not been losing weight"
  • Neikx
    Neikx Posts: 3 Member
    I think it's important to consider the quality of calories consumed. If you are eating 1700 calories of real food, and not processed food, that is enough depending on your BMR. It's so important to take a nutritional supplement as well.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Neikx wrote: »
    I think it's important to consider the quality of calories consumed. If you are eating 1700 calories of real food, and not processed food, that is enough depending on your BMR. It's so important to take a nutritional supplement as well.

There is nothing inherent about processed food that makes it "unreal," and there is no evidence for nutritional supplements being effective for anything in the absence of actual nutritional deficiencies, which most of us do not have.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    kjmace wrote: »
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    1700 is a perfect amount. Try it, see what happens!

I agree at 900 calories a day your body goes into survival mode and hangs on the the weight it has, as it thinks it is starving.

So that's obviously why anorexics, who more than likely eat far less than the OP, look so healthy.

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    This thread's been dead over a year. Wondering why it was reopened when the argument within is still debated on a daily basis in these forums?
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    This thread's been dead over a year. Wondering why it was reopened when the argument within is still debated on a daily basis in these forums?

I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it!
  • Saraness
    Saraness Posts: 32 Member
    NoirMeow wrote: »

- Have 6 – 7 meals during the day (after every 2 hours): a lot of small meals will build metabolism, as will the lack of actual calories in them, causing you to burn more.

- Detoxification: black coffee or lemon water

Anyway, happy losing weight everybody!

Against popular belief you don't have to eat every 2 hours to boost your metabolism. If you want to loose weight just count your calories. BUT if you want to eat every 2 hours, you can do whatever makes you happy.

Also, your body doesn't need to be detoxed. You have a liver for a reason- but like I said before, if you want to drink coffee and lemon water by all means do what makes you happy!

• k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    I'm 255 and 5'5 and my goal set by Mfp to lose 2 pounds a week is 1660
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I lost 80 pounds eating 1700 a day. I'm 5'5", was 34 when I lost most of the weight, but I had 6 workouts a week and I weigh my food.
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    I don't know your age but assumed you were around 30. I plugged the info into the bmr calculator and said around 1600. As long as you eat below this you'll lose weight. I would suggest cutting that number by 300-500, it's your body you choose. I also suggest looking into IF-Intermittent Fasting, it isn't 'bs'. As soon as I applied eating 500 calories below my bmr and intermittent fasting my fat was melting off. Don't follow anyone who tells you about starvation mode or eating 6 times through-out the day, that *kitten* is a scam to make you stay the same weight. Apply this method for a week and see the results, if none? Then stop and follow what someone else said above me but I'm sure you will have success with this. So, Intermittent fasting(Try the 6-hour eating window) and either 1100-1300 calories a day. It's okay to eat junk food if you wish like a cheeseburger from mcdonalds or something or pizza if that's your craving foods, just make sure they work into your diet. The others above me are talking about eating above what your body needs to maintain weight to lose weight, now tell me if they make sense? (Sarcasm.) As for the gym try only 20-35 minutes in there of until the machines says you burnt at least 200 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    nillagfx wrote: »
    I don't know your age but assumed you were around 30. I plugged the info into the bmr calculator and said around 1600. As long as you eat below this you'll lose weight. I would suggest cutting that number by 300-500, it's your body you choose. I also suggest looking into IF-Intermittent Fasting, it isn't 'bs'. As soon as I applied eating 500 calories below my bmr and intermittent fasting my fat was melting off. Don't follow anyone who tells you about starvation mode or eating 6 times through-out the day, that *kitten* is a scam to make you stay the same weight. Apply this method for a week and see the results, if none? Then stop and follow what someone else said above me but I'm sure you will have success with this. So, Intermittent fasting(Try the 6-hour eating window) and either 1100-1300 calories a day. It's okay to eat junk food if you wish like a cheeseburger from mcdonalds or something or pizza if that's your craving foods, just make sure they work into your diet. The others above me are talking about eating above what your body needs to maintain weight to lose weight, now tell me if they make sense? (Sarcasm.) As for the gym try only 20-35 minutes in there of until the machines says you burnt at least 200 calories.

Its not your bmr you take a cut from, its your tdee or total daily energy expenditure (aka your maintenance calories).

Also, if you are eating at 1100 to 1300 as a young male, you are gaurenteed to lose a lot of muscle which means its not all fat loss.

Additionally, IF is just one technique to control your calories. You can eat 6x a day or 10, it will literally have no impact on your weight loss if calories are equal.