are macros important if within calorie limit

Options
hi my macro for carbs is sometimes over by a bit yet my fat is waaaaaay under, however I have never passed my overall calories
does this matter?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Could do, there are fats you need and fat soluble vitamins that are helpful too. If you had no protein you wouldn't last long, so it's not just about calories.
  • Haakonson
    Options
    Generally it shouldn't matter too much if your calories are still on target... having said that, I find it best to try and keep the carbs down, unless it's vegetables; the human body doesn't actually need them, but if you want to have cheat snack that's carbs, eat it after a workout as your body will burn it off fast with the increased metabolism. Low fat diets aren't too useful either. This is just what I know from experience/research.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    hi my macro for carbs is sometimes over by a bit yet my fat is waaaaaay under, however I have never passed my overall calories
    does this matter?
    For mere weight loss, it might not be a huge issue, but to achieve peak fitness and optimal health, macro's are very important along with other items to track like fiber and salt.
    It depends on where you are in your journey and your overall goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you exercise a lot, protein is very important. Honestly when I first started, I just concentrated on staying under. As one progresses, they do become more important.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Haakonson wrote: »
    Generally it shouldn't matter too much if your calories are still on target... having said that, I find it best to try and keep the carbs down, unless it's vegetables; the human body doesn't actually need them, but if you want to have cheat snack that's carbs, eat it after a workout as your body will burn it off fast with the increased metabolism. Low fat diets aren't too useful either. This is just what I know from experience/research.

Really? The brain can only use glucose for energy (which is why those who have low blood sugar become altered mental status). Guess where glucose comes from? I would say carbohydrates I therefore needed.
  • Haakonson
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Haakonson wrote: »

Really? The brain can only use glucose for energy (which is why those who have low blood sugar become altered mental status). Guess where glucose comes from? I would say carbohydrates I therefore needed.

You're body can compensate, as they're not essential, but I didn't say to just have none... this is what I meant: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-nutrition-overview.html
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Whether it matters depends on the individual and on their goals. As noted, for weight loss only, the main thing is calories, but even for some macros will matter for that. I'm insulin resistant, so carbs and sugar matter. For some, they don't. For health, all your macros matter. I wouldn't (and I don't) stress out hitting them perfectly, but it's best to make an effort to get close to balancing them out.

You can change the macro ratios you are give, too. The defaults don't fit everyone's needs. I lowered my carbs and upped my protein, for example.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It does matter, your macro ratio affects your body composition. if u want a lean body composition, strive for a hi protein/mod carb ratio.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    does this matter?

For simply losing weight, not really. For survival, not at all. (Humans can survive where a goat would starve)

But for optimum well-being? That's subjective. I feel best on a diet that's lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein and fat. For me, a bacon and eggs breakfast is just the thing.

I have a friend who would feel ill on that, and for her, the same amount of calories in oatmeal keeps her happy and energetic all morning. I'd have a blood sugar crash a couple of hours before lunch if I tried that.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Whether it matters depends on the individual and on their goals. As noted, for weight loss only, the main thing is calories, but even for some macros will matter for that. I'm insulin resistant, so carbs and sugar matter. For some, they don't. For health, all your macros matter. I wouldn't (and I don't) stress out hitting them perfectly, but it's best to make an effort to get close to balancing them out.

You can change the macro ratios you are give, too. The defaults don't fit everyone's needs. I lowered my carbs and upped my protein, for example.

^^^^This

Personally, I just look at proteins and I am trying to increase fiber. It just depends on what you are aiming for, For me, it's okay if i don't hit them, just something to aim for.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It does matter, your macro ratio affects your body composition. if u want a lean body composition, strive for a hi protein/mod carb ratio.

I actually like mine set where carbs are higher than protein.

This and.. If you're not keto adapted then you'll need at least 100g for your brain function, anything above that should be carefully managed depending on your goals and fitness regime. Carbs spike your insulin and are a double edged nutrient , timing, quantity and the structure of the rest of your diet are all important.....however an occasional day of drifting over your allowance won't hurt...getting adequate fats and protein are probably more important