Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• geniusgamer
    geniusgamer Posts: 61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    I bet you don't and I very much doubt you ate 1000 calories for as long as you said. Everyones logging can be more accurate and historically those who come to mfp and assure us they are logging accurately are normally some or the most inaccurate ones. If you want more specific guidance open your diary but look at the link below

Log accurately eat a reasonable amount of food (I mean around 2000 calories or more eat your height and weight) and you'll lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

False.

I log 100% accurately. I only eat healthy choice/smart ones type meals and I log everything i eat in a spreadsheet and forget to log or eat some unlogged snack zero times a day.

You are wrong and I'm looking for advice/help not predicated on the assumption that I log inaccurately. That's why I was clear about it from the start.

I welcome everyone's advice, but if yours is going to remain predicated on a false assumption, then it won't be helpful to me.

Note: when I say I log 100% accurately, that's obviously predicated on some level of faith in the reported caloric values for said diet meals. I'm sure they can fluctuate by some % but I can't really factor in since I can't know if they're inaccurate or by how much. And it seems reasonable to use them as a basis for calorie counting. Else, how are people to count calories? Eating only pure nutrient pastes of accurately measured mass for all courses of all meals?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    OP, what's your plan for maintaining at your goal weight?

Basically, once I hit my goal weight of around 210 or whatever I'm going to weigh each morning. If I'm under the weight, I eat what I want. If I'm over, I diet that day.

Weight naturally fluctuates up to five pounds from day to day. So if you weigh 206-207, you would eat everything, a few days later at 213 you would be strict again?

You only have twenty pounds to lose. 1000 calories is not going to do you any favors.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight naturally fluctuates up to five pounds from day to day. So if you weigh 206-207, you would eat everything, a few days later at 213 you would be strict again?

Yep that's how I would do it.

Some days I'd weigh less than normal due to water/bowel/glucose/whatever fluctuations and cheat when I maybe shouldn't.

But for each day like that, there'd be a day where I'd weigh more than normal due to those things and diet when I maybe didn't need to.

It would average out to making sure I maintain the same weight.

Maybe I'll cheat one day and have to diet a week before I'm back below the weight.

And maybe I'd have a period where I was under weight a few days in a row and get to cheat on all of them. (probably followed by the former period where I needed to diet again for several days in a row)

Should average out I think.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Should have some interesting fun down the road after doing this multiple times, attempting it with an unhealthy body eventually.

Just wait until then when you hit 6 months with no movement eating what you think is 1000 calories.

And yeah, you aren't likely.
    Calories is per gram, not per cup or spoonful.
    How do you log the food you do eat?
  • geniusgamer
    geniusgamer Posts: 61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Yikes. This is getting frustrating. More rude people here than I thought.

I am counting accurately. I go by nutrition labels. And there is zero eating that isn't logged off those nutrition labels.

It would be super helpful if people could just assume I wasn't an idiot or lying.

I'm not making some distinction between mass and volume, though for a given food they are directly proportional. So your statement "per gram, not per cup or spoonful" is actually wrong.

I'm doing it per serving listed on nutrition labels.

Oh and to answer your question, I log it in a spreadsheet. Google docs.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    No one assumes you're an idiot or lying purposefully but this is a hugely common issue (especially on these boards), that people aren't logging accurately. Yes using the labels is good, but are you measuring or are you weighing? That adds up. I've seen SO MANY people swear up and down they log 100% accurately, but they don't weigh their servings, they use generic entries, etc. So it's the default answer for these boards.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I am counting accurately. I go by nutrition labels. And there is zero eating that isn't logged off those nutrition labels.

It would be super helpful if people could just assume I wasn't an idiot or lying.

Nobody in here is being rude.

Do you weigh everything you eat using a food scale? If not, you're most likely eating more than you think, which is why you could have been eating over 3000 calories without realizing it.

1000 calories is even lower than the recommended number for women. At that point you're going to be severely cutting yourself off from essential nutrients and causing problems to your general health. The best thing to do would be to eat maybe 15% off your TDEE, since you only want to lose about twenty pounds, and weigh everything so you're certain of that amount.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are possibly retaining water, especially if the weight loss has stopped for only a couple of days. If you keep eating 1,000 calories you will surely lose more weight. Patience is key. You should eat more than 1,000 calories but I totally understand if you can't. Anyways, if you've been eating salty foods like pickles, or anything just high in sodium you may be retaining water. Also, you might be dehydrated so I would definitely up the water intake. Sometimes people get a majority of the water from the food they eat and then when they start eating less they become dehydrated. So basically, drink a lot of water, fruit and veg (for bowel movements, possible weight from lack of BM), and avoid salty food until you lose some water weight or whatever is causing you to plateau. Good luck to you and I hope you see more differences soon.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I really think you need to get the mental game under control here first. Because, "dieting" as you say, isn't a cure necessarily. And you can fluctuate 5-10lbs a day depending on a hundred different things. "Maintenence" is a range more than a specific number and you're setting yourself up for dissapointment like that.

Wouldn't you rather learn the healthy habits so even when you're maintaining, you eat resonable amounts and don't restrict, you just know what portion control is? Weighing every day like that is a recipe for basically dieting every day.

[/quote]

Exactly! This is a very unhealthy lifestyle! Women aren't even advised to eat under 1,200 and men are naturally supposed to eat more than that. Weighing yourself EVERY day sounds like pure torture! Are you really going to keep this up for the next 30, 40, 50 years of your life?

You need to eat more now to lose weight in a healthy fashion, then once you hit your goal weight you need to eat a little more to maintain that weight for the long term.

There is definitely a reason you keep yo-yoing and the whole "if I'm at my goal weight or under then I eat whatever I want" is terrible. That is setting you up for a constant feeling of failure after your binge eating days.
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Genius, I can just tell you from my personal experience that when I ate that little each day it simply didn't work long term. Everyone is different for sure, however I can say (thankfully) that this time I have followed MFP recommendations (my daily goal is 1720 which equals 2 lbs per week) and it's been working, and really well for the first time ever ... Good luck, find what works ... but think long term too ....
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

I'm not making some distinction between mass and volume, though for a given food they are directly proportional. So your statement "per gram, not per cup or spoonful" is actually wrong.

I'm doing it per serving listed on nutrition labels.

The thing with nutrition labels? they are not accurate either though... perfect example, my bread shows a serving as 53g 1 slice. I weigh my bread... I have yet to get a slice that weighs the 53g the nutrition label says it should be. I mean, the heel of the bread will never weigh the same as the slice in the middle....

Chips? 50 g is a serving (or 29 chips). Guess what, I have never had 29 chips equal to the 50g serving size. As a matter of fact, I can't even eat a full 50g of chip with a meal.

Turtle chocolate, states 3 pieces is 50g - the 3 I had last night actually DID equal 50g... but the ones I ate a few weeks ago? Nope.. they totally 67g....

If you don't weigh all your food with a SCALE - then you are not properly logging what you eat. you can't rely on the labels... they aren't accurate....

• joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    btw Genius , how are you handling your daily exercise? Did you mark yourself as "Sedentary" or "Active" or what ? For me, I am marked as "Sedentary" and then I earn back the calories I burned working out, so even though my daily goal is 1720, I really eat like 2200 per day and still hit my NET calorie goal....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Very large deficit slows down metabolism.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do you weigh everything you eat using a food scale? If not, you're most likely eating more than you think, which is why you could have been eating over 3000 calories without realizing it.

No. I eat diet meals smartones/leancuisines/healthychoice/etc.

They have a nutrition label that says exactly what the total calories for the whole meal is. So that's what I log.

Why would I need to weigh it? I'm not preparing my own food.

In the past during my huge weight loss, I would prepare some food, and in those situations I absolutely would weigh it.[/quote]
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    And not to be mean, OP, but if you DO try to lose this way and "maintain" it as you describe, you are going to wreck havoc on your body and organs, your body cannot handle that kind of treatment. Save yourself a lot of money in medical treatment later and listen to what these people are telling you. Up the calories some, lose weight safely.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    If you don't weigh all your food with a SCALE - then you are not properly logging what you eat. you can't rely on the labels... they aren't accurate....

This isn't relevant to me because I'm not preparing my own food at all. If I was I'd weigh it.

I'm eating prepackaged diet meals with caloric listings on their nutrition labels.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1000 calories...a day?

This thread gives me the sadz.....and is also turning into a "please help.....no you're wrong I'm doing it right" thread.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    btw Genius , how are you handling your daily exercise? Did you mark yourself as "Sedentary" or "Active" or what ? For me, I am marked as "Sedentary" and then I earn back the calories I burned working out, so even though my daily goal is 1720, I really eat like 2200 per day and still hit my NET calorie goal....

I listed it as 1-3 exercise sessions per week depending on the options on the BMR calculator and I don't eat back the calories.

I've read I should but I figured a greater deficit would yield faster results.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If he is in fact still eating 1000 calories it shows you will hit a wall of weight loss. What OP is doing is killing his rate to burn calories throughout the day.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Very large deficit slows down metabolism.

Myth.