Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Very large deficit slows down metabolism.

Myth.

actually it is true, your body will start neglecting non life sustaining functions (skin, hair, nail growth/health) and shed muscle in order to lower your BMR and slow your fat loss, it does this for survival and self preservation.

OP got all the answer but really doesn't know much at all.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    1000 calories...a day?

This thread gives me the sadz.....and is also turning into a "please help.....no you're wrong I'm doing it right" thread.

I never said I was doing anything right other than counting calories. And I am. I'm not preparing my own food so there is no reason to weigh it. I eat prepackaged diet meals with caloric information on the label.

It feels pretty aggressive that these people are insisting that I'm not counting everything though.

Incorrect logging is one of the top factors when it comes to plateauing and not losing weight. The problem with assuming it here, you'd have to be off by like 1800 calories to be in maintenance.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    OP, you seem to have this all figured out. Don't know why you posted here, cuz you have all the answers. Go you!!! and good luck!!!

This is the type of aggressive stuff I'm talking about.

I haven't claimed to have anything figured out.

The only thing I've disagreed about was calorie counting.

I only eat prepackaged meals with nutrition labels that list #servings and calories/serving.

That is all I eat and I never miss a log.

What is your problem?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You are not if you are eating 1000 calories. Stop lying LOL

Wait a second. What are you saying I'm lying about?

that you care about health and losing LBM
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

That's because your claim doesn't make sense so people are trying to figure out where you are miscalculating...[/quote]

I understand that. But I log my calories accurately. And have said so.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Wow!! 210 lbs loss last time you dieted? Amazing!! How much did you weigh originally when you succeeded? And what was your goal weight?

I said 120. I was 320 pounds at the start and 200 at the end. That was my goal weight and I looked and felt really great. Was running half marathons and 10k's a lot again and felt light on my feet. I just want to get back to that point
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

You are not if you are eating 1000 calories. Stop lying LOL

Wait a second. What are you saying I'm lying about?

I believe their point is if you WERE concerned about losing muscle mass, then you would eat more because eating more is the only way you are going to keep from losing muscle mass among other things.

Let me reiterate - if you want to lose weight safely, keep your muscle mass, and live to be a good ripe old age without health issues, up the calories, lose weight safely, and you'll be fine. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OP, you seem to have this all figured out. Don't know why you posted here, cuz you have all the answers. Go you!!! and good luck!!!

This is the type of aggressive stuff I'm talking about.

I haven't claimed to have anything figured out.

The only thing I've disagreed about was calorie counting.

I only eat prepackaged meals with nutrition labels that list #servings and calories/serving.

That is all I eat and I never miss a log.

What is your problem?

And those can be off by something like 20%.....that's the point.

• geniusgamer
    Options

that you care about health and losing LBM

That's why I'm here trying to get advice and understand a bit more about what sub-BRM dieting can do. And figure out why I'm stalling.

I don't want to lose all this weight and have a really high fat%
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Gee! Sorry I got the numbers wrong... you don't have to be all mean about it.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Very large deficit slows down metabolism.

Myth.

actually it is true, your body will start neglecting non life sustaining functions (skin, hair, nail growth/health) and shed muscle in order to lower your BMR and slow your fat loss, it does this for survival and self preservation.

OP got all the answer but really doesn't know much at all.

Never claimed to have all answers. Only thing I'm arguing is that I count my calories accurately.

Why so much aggression here? I seriously don't get this.

I'm not trying to claim to be a know it all.

My only points of contention are that starvation mode is a myth, which some here have agreed with me on.

And that I log my calories accurately.
  • geniusgamer
    geniusgamer Posts: 61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Gee! Sorry I got the numbers wrong... you don't have to be all mean about it.

Didn't mean to be mean at all.

All I did was point out that it was 120 not 210, with no rudeness.

Then follow it up by talking more about the start/end weights and my goals.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That's because your claim doesn't make sense so people are trying to figure out where you are miscalculating...

I understand that. But I log my calories accurately. And have said so.

If you're not weighing your serving, how do you know what they put in the box?
    Many companies will overfill and say "3 servings per box" "x calories per serving", and there are 500g in there instead of 400g like the package says. Maybe not, but you can't be sure because you don't measure.

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Ok, well to humor us, weigh one of the meals... see what the actual food weighs compared to the label. Also, there is TONS of salt and preservatives in those.. why would you want to eat them?
    I used to eat those for lunch everyday. until I read all the ingredients... never again. It is just as easy to make extra at dinner, and have left overs.

I'll do that for the next meal I eat. I guess I'll have to pour everything out of the little portion dividers onto a plate. I'll list the exact meal it is and protein/carb/fat/sodium too.

You could put the container on the scale, then just weigh the empty container when you are done. no need to dirty dishes!! (this is how I weigh corn on the cob too ;) )

• geniusgamer
    geniusgamer Posts: 61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

You could put the container on the scale, then just weigh the empty container when you are done. no need to dirty dishes!! (this is how I weigh corn on the cob too ;) )

*facepalm* ya that would probably be easier :p
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    Many companies will overfill and say "3 servings per box" "x calories per serving", and there are 500g in there instead of 400g like the package says. Maybe not, but you can't be sure because you don't measure.

True. I'll start weighing to see if there's a disparity
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Genius, I think to summarize. 1) Be patient, a day here or a week there doesn't matter, it's the long term that does 2) Follow the guidelines, if it tells you based on your real activity and your goals you need XX calories, then try to hit that goal as often as you can 3) If possible, try to make your own food so you can control the content .. And good luck.
  • geniusgamer
    Options

True. I'll try weighing to see if there's a disparity

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Never claimed to have all answers. Only thing I'm arguing is that I count my calories accurately.

Why so much aggression here? I seriously don't get this.

Because what you are doing is unhealthy and counter productive in the long run and MFP members in general want you to be successful in your weight goals and be healthy, fit and happy.

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Genuis--First, I like your thread and your questions.

I have watched Biggest Loser on and off since it started. The first week, they lose a lot. Some do the second week, others the third week. Somewhere, with each of them, they have a week they lose nothing, and might gain some back. Then, it seems to be a steady decrease. Don't ask me why. I know it is that way with me as well. And, when I hit that plateau, I simply want to stop counting calories and exercise, and the weight comes back on.

Your body is adjusting. And, given time, with fewer calories, you will lose weight.

But, that is not the reason I comment. The reason I watch Biggest Loser is the change in personality and view toward food by the contestants toward the end of the season. It is the mental change that will lead to a healthy lifestyle. That is not what you are wanting to do. Eating whatever you want until you have gained some weight, then losing it, is simply playing the game that put me over weight.

The real change comes when it is not the food that is the focus. It is the life of living healthy, and the food is part of the bigger picture. It is not the picture.

At least, that is what I having been trying to live for the past few years. And, since then, I don't eat out much, I have learned to cook more from scratch, and I eat better portions.