Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do you weigh everything you eat using a food scale? If not, you're most likely eating more than you think, which is why you could have been eating over 3000 calories without realizing it.

No. I eat diet meals smartones/leancuisines/healthychoice/etc.

They have a nutrition label that says exactly what the total calories for the whole meal is. So that's what I log.

Why would I need to weigh it? I'm not preparing my own food.

In the past during my huge weight loss, I would prepare some food, and in those situations I absolutely would weigh it.
    [/quote]

Because the weights in those can also be off.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    And not to be mean, OP, but if you DO try to lose this way and "maintain" it as you describe, you are going to wreck havoc on your body and organs, your body cannot handle that kind of treatment. Save yourself a lot of money in medical treatment later and listen to what these people are telling you. Up the calories some, lose weight safely.

This is one of my main takeaways from this thread. I am concerned about losing lean mass and other health problems.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do you weigh everything you eat using a food scale? If not, you're most likely eating more than you think, which is why you could have been eating over 3000 calories without realizing it.

No. I eat diet meals smartones/leancuisines/healthychoice/etc.

They have a nutrition label that says exactly what the total calories for the whole meal is. So that's what I log.

Why would I need to weigh it? I'm not preparing my own food.

In the past during my huge weight loss, I would prepare some food, and in those situations I absolutely would weigh it.
    [/quote]

Are some of the packages more than one serving and you are eating the whole thing assuming the label is talking about the whole package when it may be 2-4 servings?

Also pre packaged meals have a ton of sodium so you could just be retaining water masking any fat loss you have. That said, 1000 cals is very unhealthy for someone your size. You will end up losing lean muscle, not just fat, and have a good chance at becoming malnourished.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As for the torture aspect, I haven't had any discomfort eating 1000. Whenever I diet, my appetite reduces to match whatever I'm eating. Haven't had any cravings.

Okay... now you're just bragging.... lol :wink: Wish I didn't have cravings...

• geniusgamer
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    1000 calories...a day?

This thread gives me the sadz.....and is also turning into a "please help.....no you're wrong I'm doing it right" thread.

I never said I was doing anything right other than counting calories. And I am. I'm not preparing my own food so there is no reason to weigh it. I eat prepackaged diet meals with caloric information on the label.

It feels pretty aggressive that these people are insisting that I'm not counting everything though.
  • erickirb
    Options
    btw Genius , how are you handling your daily exercise? Did you mark yourself as "Sedentary" or "Active" or what ? For me, I am marked as "Sedentary" and then I earn back the calories I burned working out, so even though my daily goal is 1720, I really eat like 2200 per day and still hit my NET calorie goal....

I listed it as 1-3 exercise sessions per week depending on the options on the BMR calculator and I don't eat back the calories.

I've read I should but I figured a greater deficit would yield faster results.

Faster results and more lean muscle loss and other health ramifications (hair falling out, weak nails, bad skin, etc)
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    If you don't weigh all your food with a SCALE - then you are not properly logging what you eat. you can't rely on the labels... they aren't accurate....

This isn't relevant to me because I'm not preparing my own food at all. If I was I'd weigh it.

I'm eating prepackaged diet meals with caloric listings on their nutrition labels.

Ok, well to humor us, weigh one of the meals... see what the actual food weighs compared to the label. Also, there is TONS of salt and preservatives in those.. why would you want to eat them?
    I used to eat those for lunch everyday. until I read all the ingredients... never again. It is just as easy to make extra at dinner, and have left overs.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And not to be mean, OP, but if you DO try to lose this way and "maintain" it as you describe, you are going to wreck havoc on your body and organs, your body cannot handle that kind of treatment. Save yourself a lot of money in medical treatment later and listen to what these people are telling you. Up the calories some, lose weight safely.

This is one of my main takeaways from this thread. I am concerned about losing lean mass and other health problems.

You can pretty much bet on losing LBM. There is no real weight training listed in your 1-3 exercises, and if you aren't eating exercise calories back you're probably netting more like 700-800 calories that day.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Are some of the packages more than one serving and you are eating the whole thing assuming the label is talking about the whole package when it may be 2-4 servings?

Also pre packaged meals have a ton of sodium so you could just be retaining water masking any fat loss you have. That said, 1000 cals is very unhealthy for someone your size. You will end up losing lean muscle, not just fat, and have a good chance at becoming malnourished.

A - many meals I eat have multiple servings, and I multiply the calories per serving * # servings every time.

B - Honestly I'm really hoping the water retention is a big if not primary factor in my plateau.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You are not if you are eating 1000 calories. Stop lying LOL

• ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    btw Genius , how are you handling your daily exercise? Did you mark yourself as "Sedentary" or "Active" or what ? For me, I am marked as "Sedentary" and then I earn back the calories I burned working out, so even though my daily goal is 1720, I really eat like 2200 per day and still hit my NET calorie goal....

I listed it as 1-3 exercise sessions per week depending on the options on the BMR calculator and I don't eat back the calories.

I've read I should but I figured a greater deficit would yield faster results.

And actually, the thought that a greater deficit would yield faster results has not proven to be true. If you don't give your body enough fuel to work with and get through your day, it will start storing everything it can AND shutting down some of your body processes until it thinks it gets enough food so you actually don't lose weight faster. Please, if you are going to lose weight, do it safely. Because you will lose muscle mass and really damage your body to the point where it can't repair itself.

• erickirb
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Very large deficit slows down metabolism.

Myth.

actually it is true, your body will start neglecting non life sustaining functions (skin, hair, nail growth/health) and shed muscle in order to lower your BMR and slow your fat loss, it does this for survival and self preservation.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Ok, well to humor us, weigh one of the meals... see what the actual food weighs compared to the label. Also, there is TONS of salt and preservatives in those.. why would you want to eat them?
    I used to eat those for lunch everyday. until I read all the ingredients... never again. It is just as easy to make extra at dinner, and have left overs.

I'll do that for the next meal I eat. I guess I'll have to pour everything out of the little portion dividers onto a plate. I'll list the exact meal it is and protein/carb/fat/sodium too.
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Usually anything prepackaged contains alot of sodium regardless of the nutritional content and your body will retain weight. I would cook from scratch for a couple weeks and see if you see a difference. Anything from a box is toxic in my opinion, all the additives, etc.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP, you seem to have this all figured out. Don't know why you posted here, cuz you have all the answers. Go you!!! and good luck!!!
  • geniusgamer
    Options

You can pretty much bet on losing LBM. There is no real weight training listed in your 1-3 exercises, and if you aren't eating exercise calories back you're probably netting more like 700-800 calories that day.

Well.. curls and pushups are basically weight training. Just because I'm not using actual weights in pushups, I am working against weight-based resistance.

A month ago I had a hard time benching the bar or doing even 10 pushups. In the month since, I've been following a pushup plan and I can do 86 consecutive pushups and when I tried benching for the first time in a month, I benched 165 twice without too much difficulty.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1000 calories...a day?

This thread gives me the sadz.....and is also turning into a "please help.....no you're wrong I'm doing it right" thread.

I never said I was doing anything right other than counting calories. And I am. I'm not preparing my own food so there is no reason to weigh it. I eat prepackaged diet meals with caloric information on the label.

It feels pretty aggressive that these people are insisting that I'm not counting everything though.

That's because your claim doesn't make sense so people are trying to figure out where you are miscalculating...
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Wow!! 210 lbs loss last time you dieted? Amazing!! How much did you weigh originally when you succeeded? And what was your goal weight?
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Another thing you might consider Genius.... All those packaged meals likely have a very high sodium content. I don't know about others, but for me high sodium = lots of water retention (not to mention the other bad things it does) ... just something to consider about those easy to eat type meals ....
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You are not if you are eating 1000 calories. Stop lying LOL

Wait a second. What are you saying I'm lying about?