Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options
I count my calories really accurately.

My BMR/TDEE
manytools.org: 2219/3107
iifym.com: 2240/3080
myfitnesspal.com: 2084/????

I'm 32, male, 6'3", and weigh 230 lbs.

I run 2 or 3 times a week and do a lot of pushups and curls throughout the week.

I've been eating around 1000 calories a day. The average is actually slightly less.

Initially (about two weeks ago) I lost 10 pounds in a week. I knew a lot of this was bowel movements and water weight.

For the past five days my weight has not budged. I'm stuck at 230. I've had plenty of bowel movements and gone for a couple runs. Naturally, immediately after the runs I'm around 227, due to sweating so much water and exhaling so much CO2. But it comes back the next day.

I don't understand what's going on. I know the starvation mode stuff is a myth. I've read a ton about that and it's illogical, doesn't even obey the basic laws of thermodynamics. The notion that your body "holds on" to more if you eat less is absurd. Your body gets all the calories out of food regardless, so the implication would then be that the body is holding onto calorieless garbage. So where is the body storing up all this magical thermodynamics-evading starch/fiber/etc.?

Also, I lost 120 pounds a couple years ago eating 1000/day for 11 months. So I know that works.

I've hit plateaus before, but this one just makes no sense at all.

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    A) weight loss isn't linear. You had a big drop, I'm not surprised it hasn't moved much after that.
    B)Five days is not enough time to see a trend. Because of the above.
    C)Why on earth if you know what your BMR is, are you eating only 1000 calories a day?? Yeah starvation mode is a myth and all that, but why would you do that to yourself when you can eat more than that and still lose if you're logging accurately?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've read some theories that suggest as fat cells are depleted of contents, they fill temporarily with water before dropping that a few days later. It would explain the plateau-plateau-loss effect, but you can take that with a giant mountain of salt because I can't recall where I saw it, so its basically unsourced.

That said, you really should eat at at least your BMR. Too sharp a calorie cut will make you feel awful.
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    A) weight loss isn't linear. You had a big drop, I'm not surprised it hasn't moved much after that.
    C)Why on earth if you know what your BMR is, are you eating only 1000 calories a day?? Yeah starvation mode is a myth and all that, but why would you do that to yourself when you can eat more than that and still lose if you're logging accurately?

re:B - I keep telling myself that. But it's just so weird. Everything I'm doing seems like it should lead to lower weights.

re:C - Basically, to fast track it. Also, because I have a hard time trusting the BMR/TDEE calculators. During periods where I've put on 10-20 pounds, I've tried to do a rough calculation of how many calories I was eating per day during that period. And no matter how generous I am, I can't seem to come up with a >3000/day value. These could just be bad estimates on my part though. It just really feels like if I ate 3000 calories a day I'd gain a lot of weight though. I've been considering testing it and just weighing myself every day for a week, then blasting 3000 calories/day for a month, without any weighing, then at the end, weigh myself every day for a week again, to try to determine big trends and true BMR/TDEE. But I'm afraid of undoing a lot of progress.
  • Followingsea
    Options
    re:C - Basically, to fast track it. Also, because I have a hard time trusting the BMR/TDEE calculators. During periods where I've put on 10-20 pounds, I've tried to do a rough calculation of how many calories I was eating per day during that period. And no matter how generous I am, I can't seem to come up with a >3000/day value. These could just be bad estimates on my part though. It just really feels like if I ate 3000 calories a day I'd gain a lot of weight though. I've been considering testing it and just weighing myself every day for a week, then blasting 3000 calories/day for a month, without any weighing, then at the end, weigh myself every day for a week again, to try to determine big trends and true BMR/TDEE. But I'm afraid of undoing a lot of progress.

Well, why not split the difference and try 2000 for a couple weeks and see what happens?
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to eat only 1000 cals a day?
    Sure it maybe is a quicker way than eating 1500 or 2000 a day. But this sounds like torture.
    And I doubt that with only 1000 cals a day your body gets what it needs.
  • Billtrek613
    Options
    In my "uneducated" opinion, you aren't eating enough. Long term, there is NO way you will keep off whatever weight you lose, eating that little. Eat smarter, not less.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Even on crazy weight loss shows like The Biggest Loser - week 2 is known as the crappy weight loss week. They call it the week 2 curse or something, because everyone lost the majority of their water/digestive weight in the first week, and the scales don't seem to budge as much.

So if you're planning on eating as little and exercising as much as they do, you should watch the show! I think it's on Hulu :)
  • shadowofender
    Options

re:B - I keep telling myself that. But it's just so weird. Everything I'm doing seems like it should lead to lower weights.

This is NOT to be harsh at all but look at it this way,

you lost 120lbs before, right? And am I correct in assuming you gained a portion of that back or you wouldn't be back here? Because it wasn't sustainable.

It's hard to program our heads to accept slow and steady weight loss when everything is so sensationalized with TV and whatever. We feel like we are failing if we aren't losing insane amounts week over week.

But at the end of the day you need to be able to live forever with the loss, right? So wouldn't it be better to figure out something sustainable and not deprevational, so you can keep living in that manner for the long term?

I lose about 1lbs a week and I have, at that pace, well over a year and a half to hit my goal. it's been hard to deal with the slow and steady, but I'm being realistic. The mental game is a HUGE part of weight loss.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not regarding weight loss but with only 1000 cals/day there is no way you are getting enough fat and protein or vitamins and minerals for someone your size.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    In my "uneducated" opinion, you aren't eating enough. Long term, there is NO way you will keep off whatever weight you lose, eating that little. Eat smarter, not less.

This
  • geniusgamer
    Options
    As for the torture aspect, I haven't had any discomfort eating 1000. Whenever I diet, my appetite reduces to match whatever I'm eating. Haven't had any cravings.
  • Followingsea
    Options

This is NOT to be harsh at all but look at it this way,

you lost 120lbs before, right? And am I correct in assuming you gained a portion of that back or you wouldn't be back here? Because it wasn't sustainable.

It's hard to program our heads to accept slow and steady weight loss when everything is so sensationalized with TV and whatever. We feel like we are failing if we aren't losing insane amounts week over week.

But at the end of the day you need to be able to live forever with the loss, right? So wouldn't it be better to figure out something sustainable and not deprevational, so you can keep living in that manner for the long term?

I lose about 1lbs a week and I have, at that pace, well over a year and a half to hit my goal. it's been hard to deal with the slow and steady, but I'm being realistic. The mental game is a HUGE part of weight loss.

This is GREAT advice.

OP, what's your plan for maintaining at your goal weight?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I count my calories really accurately.
    I've been eating around 1000 calories a day. The average is actually slightly less.
    Dude, I eat three times this amount and lose weight. Sometimes more is less.
    My diary is open, and if you want to consider an alternative to your crash diet, try just following the MFP recommendations.
    Again, compare our diaries. Who's having more fun and getting results?
    I am not trying to be unkind, but long-short is...you're not eating enough.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Why would you only eat 1000 calories...? You shouldn't eat below your BMR. Eat more, be patient.
  • geniusgamer
    Options

Basically, once I hit my goal weight of around 210 or whatever I'm going to weigh each morning. If I'm under the weight, I eat what I want. If I'm over, I diet that day.
  • geniusgamer
    geniusgamer Posts: 61
    edited October 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Dude, I eat three times this amount and lose weight. Sometimes more is less.
    ...you're not eating enough.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not disagreeing. I just don't understand how more is less in this case.

I can't imagine eating 3k/day and losing weight. But I haven't tried it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I count my calories really accurately..

I bet you don't and I very much doubt you ate 1000 calories for as long as you said. Everyones logging can be more accurate and historically those who come to mfp and assure us they are logging accurately are normally some or the most inaccurate ones. If you want more specific guidance open your diary but look at the link below

Log accurately eat a reasonable amount of food (I mean around 2000 calories or more eat your height and weight) and you'll lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • shadowofender
    Options

Basically, once I hit my goal weight of around 210 or whatever I'm going to weigh each morning. If I'm under the weight, I eat what I want. If I'm over, I diet that day.

I really think you need to get the mental game under control here first. Because, "dieting" as you say, isn't a cure necessarily. And you can fluctuate 5-10lbs a day depending on a hundred different things. "Maintenence" is a range more than a specific number and you're setting yourself up for dissapointment like that.

Wouldn't you rather learn the healthy habits so even when you're maintaining, you eat resonable amounts and don't restrict, you just know what portion control is? Weighing every day like that is a recipe for basically dieting every day.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Not regarding weight loss but with only 1000 cals/day there is no way you are getting enough fat and protein or vitamins and minerals for someone your size.

This^

Bye, bye lean muscle....
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more for starters. Given the calories you're taking in, you're probably not getting nutritional balance either.