Do you Count Calories or Macros?

Options
I count my macros. As long as my macros are in check Im not too worried about the calories. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat so I eat a very high amount of protein compared to most.
P: 122g-170g
F: 34g-44g
C: 135g-160g
Typically my calories are between 1250-1700. This seems to work for me. Lost 10.3% body fat in 10 weeks (34.3%->24%)

Replies

• mmmb30
    mmmb30 Posts: 4
    Options
    Following... this Macro thing has peaked my curiosity. Been watching mine for a month now and down 5lbs
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    macro-keeper-tracker here too....let the calories fall where they may >:)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes

This.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just see so many posts regarding calories and making sure they stay under their daily allowance. I mean I could eat half an outback cheese fries and hit my 1500-1750 cal for the day! But wheres the protein? Healthy fats? Plus, Id be starving after 2 hours! lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Both. They aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    jlafowler wrote: »
    I just see so many posts regarding calories and making sure they stay under their daily allowance. I mean I could eat half an outback cheese fries and hit my 1500-1750 cal for the day! But wheres the protein? Healthy fats? Plus, Id be starving after 2 hours! lol

Indeed
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Calories for the time being. Will add macro tracking once I'm comfortable I've got the hang of all this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of emphasis on calories here, yes, and macros, but not much on eating healthy in general.

Your approach is low(er) carb compared to SAD. But it's also pretty low fat. Just make sure you're getting enough of that as it really helps with satiety when eating fewer carbs.

There's many paths up the mountain. Some folks prefer counting carbs, some folks prefer counting macros. Some folks prefer focusing on filling their diets with specific (types) of foods. We do what works best. You seem to be finding that for yourself. cheers.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Both. They aren't mutually exclusive.
    This.

Calories for weight loss, macros for health.

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I aim to get my macros reasonably close with at least adequate protein, but I aim to hit my calories spot on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to count calories. It's hard with so many conflicting entries in the database. I really don't know if it's even close to correct.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of emphasis on calories here, yes, and macros, but not much on eating healthy in general.

Your approach is low(er) carb compared to SAD. But it's also pretty low fat. Just make sure you're getting enough of that as it really helps with satiety when eating fewer carbs.

There's many paths up the mountain. Some folks prefer counting carbs, some folks prefer counting macros. Some folks prefer focusing on filling their diets with specific (types) of foods. We do what works best. You seem to be finding that for yourself. cheers.

Ive played around with it. Ive tried more of this, less of that etc. My body seems to really like carbs so I have had to up my complex carbs; fats are ok. If I go above what I set Im ok, but I always try to hit those grams as a minimum. Im not super strict on myself! Once I hit my Body fat % goal I will play with it some more to maintain. If I find that my calories are going to go over 1800 for the day I cut protein since that is more negotiable than the other two.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Both. It's hard for me to keep track of my macros without MFP, but I watch overall calories since I know that's what makes the difference on the scale.
  • yondaime81
    Options
    I'll count calories for a bit but I stop cause I feel like I'm just guessing at times.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Both.
    You MUST be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. That's not opinion that's science.
    BUT! WITHIN those calories I make sure to balance my macros. P:40% F:30% C:30% is a great macro breakdown for me, and if I'm lagging I kick it up to F: 35% C:25%
    Macro balance isn't about weight loss it's about nutrition.
    Calories burned us what makes you lose weight. Optimized macros is what keeps your body fast, strong, alert and balanced.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I count my macros. As long as my macros are in check Im not too worried about the calories. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat so I eat a very high amount of protein compared to most.
    Typically my calories are between 1250-1700. This seems to work for me. Lost 10.3% body fat in 10 weeks (34.3%->24%)

I am also with you on the super high protien for muscle building/fat blastingn. On 1400 calories my protein comes in at 141g. So pretty much right in line with your range as well. *hi5*
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

You won't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You need to be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat. That said, what you are doing is losing fat and retaining muscle. Macros seem fine for that. If it's working, carry on...

Personally, I track both...

:)
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I am also with you on the super high protien for muscle building/fat blastingn. On 1400 calories my protein comes in at 141g. So pretty much right in line with your range as well. *hi5*

There's a threshold at which you're getting adequate protein (roughly 0.85g-1.0/lb of lean mass if you're lifting) but beyond that additional protein just contributes to satiety and, well, gassiness. 170g of protein is very high for a healthy lady like the OP, to the point of being absurd. Odds are it won't hurt, unless there's a pre-existing liver/kidney problem, but it's way beyond the amount needed for optimal muscle gains. Even 141g for a woman is pretty high, as I doubt you have 140 pounds of lean mass unless you're well over 6' tall. I wouldn't feel compelled to eat that much chicken or drink that many protein shakes, unless you find it helps with hitting your calorie target.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do both...
    I see value in balancing my macros and cycling my calories depending on my training on any given day.