Do you Count Calories or Macros?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What if I told you that you can do both, because macros add up to your daily calorie intake?
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Calories, but I'm wondering if I should change that since I've been hovering between 120-127 for about two months now as I've gotten closer to my goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Both, although there's a general range for my macros more than precise numbers. I also try to eat in a way I consider healthy most of the time. None of this is mutually exclusive.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    wheird wrote: »
    What if I told you that you can do both, because macros add up to your daily calorie intake?

Was thinking the same thing, but I'm stingy with words tonight

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Both. I am totally new to the macro "thing." I am embarrased to say a month ago I would have thought you were using a computer term. Nevertheless, I am having a lot of success keeping the caloric deficit and keeping the protein high for building muscle and shedding fat at the same time. Funny, how some people rage that doing both simulataneously is not possible. I will keep laughing. I keep getting stronger and more defined. Macros and calories are working for me, so I am going to keep doing it.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    jlafowler wrote: »
    I count my macros. As long as my macros are in check Im not too worried about the calories. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat so I eat a very high amount of protein compared to most.
    P: 122g-170g
    F: 34g-44g
    C: 135g-160g
    Typically my calories are between 1250-1700. This seems to work for me. Lost 10.3% body fat in 10 weeks (34.3%->24%)

I am also with you on the super high protien for muscle building/fat blastingn. On 1400 calories my protein comes in at 141g. So pretty much right in line with your range as well. *hi5*

There's a threshold at which you're getting adequate protein (roughly 0.85g-1.0/lb of lean mass if you're lifting) but beyond that additional protein just contributes to satiety and, well, gassiness. 170g of protein is very high for a healthy lady like the OP, to the point of being absurd. Odds are it won't hurt, unless there's a pre-existing liver/kidney problem, but it's way beyond the amount needed for optimal muscle gains. Even 141g for a woman is pretty high, as I doubt you have 140 pounds of lean mass unless you're well over 6' tall. I wouldn't feel compelled to eat that much chicken or drink that many protein shakes, unless you find it helps with hitting your calorie target.

I have always needed really high amounts of protein and it's best when it comes from red meat. Like I said it's not just about weight. It's just something I need to function properly. I learned that years ago when looking into some other health stuff with doctors. I've always known that my protein intake needs are really high compared to most people, it's just what my body needs. But yes, with weight lifting it does help me retain muscles as well so that's cool.
    But yeah, I'm at 1410 calories and 40% protein which ends up at 141g with all my stats added in. *shrug* Though you'd be supprised just how easily and quickly you can hit that target. Like today, a couple of hamburgers, a bunch of shrimp, a scoop of protein and done.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Yes. Both.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    I count my macros. As long as my macros are in check Im not too worried about the calories. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat so I eat a very high amount of protein compared to most.
    P: 122g-170g
    F: 34g-44g
    C: 135g-160g
    Typically my calories are between 1250-1700. This seems to work for me. Lost 10.3% body fat in 10 weeks (34.3%->24%)

I am also with you on the super high protien for muscle building/fat blastingn. On 1400 calories my protein comes in at 141g. So pretty much right in line with your range as well. *hi5*

There's a threshold at which you're getting adequate protein (roughly 0.85g-1.0/lb of lean mass if you're lifting) but beyond that additional protein just contributes to satiety and, well, gassiness. 170g of protein is very high for a healthy lady like the OP, to the point of being absurd. Odds are it won't hurt, unless there's a pre-existing liver/kidney problem, but it's way beyond the amount needed for optimal muscle gains. Even 141g for a woman is pretty high, as I doubt you have 140 pounds of lean mass unless you're well over 6' tall. I wouldn't feel compelled to eat that much chicken or drink that many protein shakes, unless you find it helps with hitting your calorie target.

I have always needed really high amounts of protein and it's best when it comes from red meat. Like I said it's not just about weight. It's just something I need to function properly. I learned that years ago when looking into some other health stuff with doctors. I've always known that my protein intake needs are really high compared to most people, it's just what my body needs. But yes, with weight lifting it does help me retain muscles as well so that's cool.
    But yeah, I'm at 1410 calories and 40% protein which ends up at 141g with all my stats added in. *shrug* Though you'd be supprised just how easily and quickly you can hit that target. Like today, a couple of hamburgers, a bunch of shrimp, a scoop of protein and done.

Yep. Like I said I am trying to gain muscle mass, not maintain. My lean muscle mass today is 125-126lbs. I weight 165. I try not to go over 170g, but sometimes I do. Sometimes Im way low too. Doesnt really matter, it all evens itself out in the end. Its true, I hit my protein % really quick! I eat the same things almost every day any way! My hardest is making sure I get enough carbs!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're counting macros, you're counting calories.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Mr Knight. Why would you be counting macros if your not counting calories. They go hand in hand.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yep. Like I said I am trying to gain muscle mass, not maintain.

Then you have to eat at a caloric surplus. You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unless you are a complete newbie or obese, it does not happen.

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I count calories , sodium, fat, and carbs.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Then you have to eat at a caloric surplus. You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Unless you are a complete newbie or obese, it does not happen.

I'm a newbie. Started 10 weeks ago.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I'm a newbie. Started 10 weeks ago.

That would explain any muscle gain in a deficit. It does not last forever though so if muscle gain is your goal, eat at a surplus... (eventually).

Tracking calories and macros is important IMO at that point...

How are you measuring your gains?
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm successful when I count calories strictly but keep an eye on my macros -- specifically, when I maintain a clear deficit (detailed logging, using a food scale) and make sure I'm getting more protein and fat than carbs. The calories are the biggest factor, for me, but keeping my macros loosely in check helps me feel satiated and energetic so that I'm less tempted to exceed my caloric goals.

I recently tried a few months of simply watching my macros ("eating healthy, sensible portions" like women's magazines say is super easy) and promptly regained half the weight I'd lost. I definitely affirmed for myself that the priority is calories first, macros second. Or more accurately, calories for loss, macros for health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I track both ….

secondly, you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, as they are opposite processes….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Both. I am totally new to the macro "thing." I am embarrased to say a month ago I would have thought you were using a computer term. Nevertheless, I am having a lot of success keeping the caloric deficit and keeping the protein high for building muscle and shedding fat at the same time. Funny, how some people rage that doing both simulataneously is not possible. I will keep laughing. I keep getting stronger and more defined. Macros and calories are working for me, so I am going to keep doing it.

what do you have to back up your assertion that you are gaining muscle and losing fat? Body measurements, DEXA scan, etc?

Are you a beginner? If yes, then you will add some muscle (newbie gains) and lose fat,but after about six months that will cease…

FYI - getting "stronger" does not mean you are adding muscle. It just means that you have trained your muscles to do more with what you already have. and being more "defined" just means that you have lose the fat that you have, and the EXISTING muscle that you have is showing more...
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I use to watch my macros until it started driving me nuts and upsetting me every time they went into the red. My carbs never went over, my protiens I was never really worried about and when I exercised, the fats and sugars would go back to green. So I don't really pay much attention to those now. I do watch the sodium and my calories obviously. I don't feel a need to stress myself over the numbers.
  • Danwantsskinniness
    Options
    Definitely both! If you aren't at a caloric deficit, you won't see fat loss. If you are obese and you begin exercising, you may see some initial fat loss as your body re-compositions itself to deal with the external stress factor, but otherwise it won't happen. If you just have the caloric deficit without counting macros, you risk losing out on keeping lean body mass during a deficit.
  • Danwantsskinniness
    Options
    If you're a beginner, you'll experience muscle gains for up to a year before you have to worry about having a caloric surplus. That being said, if you go about 200-400 calories over maintenance, you'll experience significantly better muscle gains(10 lbs in first year vs. 25 lbs of muscle).