How often do you log meals?

Options
dlanghart
dlanghart Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I'm curious to know everyone else's experience logging meals. My questions are:

Do you log your meals everyday?
How often do you forget (if you do) to log your meals?
How long have you been logging meals?
What causes you to keep logging or what caused you to stop logging your meals?

Thanks for any insight!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    • Log every day
    • Forget when I don't do it right away - LOVE the app so I can log as I eat - easy peasy!
    • Been logging a couple years now
    • Stop logging when I go on vacation because I don't eat at chains and it will never be accurate anyway and I just want to enjoy my vacation.
    • I keep logging because I eat too much otherwise.
  • kmurphy798
    Options
    -everyday
    -never forgotten
    -85 days I believe
    - I fear if I don't log I'll eat way to much without realizing it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Logged everything but a week of vacations for 1 year and 3 months.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Usually I only forget at night if I'm snacking.
    130 days.
    Keep logging because it works. I'm getting healthier and being more aware and losing some weight, too.
    I will probably stop logging on vacation, like many people do, just so I can enjoy myself and not worry about inaccuracies. But I'm not sure I'll ever stop for good. It's not a hassle or a burden for me, and I know I'll let myself slack off if I'm not keep myself accountable.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    dlanghart wrote: »
    I'm curious to know everyone else's experience logging meals. My questions are:

Do you log your meals everyday?
    How often do you forget (if you do) to log your meals?
    How long have you been logging meals?
    What causes you to keep logging or what caused you to stop logging your meals?

Thanks for any insight!!

1) Yes.
    2) I never forget to log.
    3) I've been logging since April 2013.
    4) I have a number of medical conditions that require me to be diligent about calorie counting in order to be successful at losing weight.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do not count calories or log foods.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I log everything at any time, anywhere. My friends and family think I'm nuts.
  • namstanton
    Options
    Im so forgetful, I have to force myself to log calories in and out nearly straight away.
    I know this is the only way that I will ever know whats going on.
    Ive been doing the full logging system for 10 days now.
    I think now i've done it for more than a week I dont wanna let it go now. I want to carry on and keep seeing results!
  • glitter1021
    glitter1021 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log what I eat as soon as I eat it, most times while it is cooking. I use the mobile app a lot for doing that because of the bar code scanner. I have been doing it for 24 days now and it is really a habit already. It makes me pay attention to what I am eating and especially with snacking.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I log my food everyday. I actually pre log what I'm going to eat during the day. I have been doing this for 71 days now. I log everything, the goods days, the days I don't eat as healthy, the days I overeat, that one day I got drunk (logged that the next day)... everything.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I log my entire day first thing in the morning and tweak it during the day. I have been logging since March and except for a week in the mountains I have been consistent. I usually exercise between 5-7 AM then I immediately log my exercise calories and then map out my calories for the day. What keeps me logging is that it works...plain simple. I have lost more weight than I aimed for and it removes all the guess work for the rest of the day.

• Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I log in advance, plan for the whole day before I start.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I log as soon as I eat, usually right before I start eating so I don't forget anything. I have the app on my phone so even when I'm away I have no excuse for not doing so.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've logged daily for 6 months. Either right before or after I eat. If I have something special planned I'll log it ahead of time to help plan the rest of my day. I keep at it because it works! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food before I go to bed the night before. I do the whole day at once and it usually takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on whether I need to enter a new recipe.

I've been logging for 2 years straight and I logged on and off for about a year and a half before that. It's force of habit at this point. Knowing a few of the "tricks" of logging makes it easier and more convenient.
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Today is my #135th log day... Once I realized I had to keep starting over from one when I miss a day, I just kept logging.

I log everything every single day. It's a little challenge I have with myself. The support I'm getting has made a difference too.

Today is a day that I just don't feel to. I made some homemade mushroom soup and a homemade broccoli cheddar with my own spin on an adult gourmet grilled cheese. I don't feel to put in no ingredients in the recipes to come up with a calorie count so I am using the Quick Calories and going over just because I know it was a very high cal day.

What is your logging experience?
  • xtiansalcedo
    xtiansalcedo Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1. I log everything I eat every day, with rare exceptions.
    2. If I skip logging, it's intentional.
    3. Been doing it since the spring; before that I logged on MapMyWalk, so probably a year-ish total.
    4. If I skip, it's because I'm on vacation, or it's a day like Thanksgiving, Super Bowl, or holiday. I've lost 45 lbs. ad am now in maintenance mode, so I'll give myself an "I don't care" day once every couple of weeks, and make up for it by leaving a caloric deficit and upping my exercise the days before and after.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Almost every day. I never forget, it's just that some days, I can't be bothered or have no idea how much I ate (this happens when I go out to local restaurants that don't provide any information on calories). I think I would look like an a-hole if I whipped out a food scale while at dinner.

I'm not trying to lose weight though so it's not that big a deal. I've been logging since April. I started out of curiosity, tbh. Then I continued because I wanted to maintain my weight and now I'm trying to put on a few pounds, but have no set deadline. When a week or two goes by and I find that I'm losing weight (which happens pretty easily for me), I go back and look at the graph and I can get a general idea as to what went wrong. Then I'll be more mindful of my logging and my caloric intake.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes into my mouth, otherwise I'll overeat.