Lean Cuisine

Options
Hi All,
I was just wondering what everyone thought about Lean Cuisines as a weightloss tool...
Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is one of several convenient low calorie options that are available. But like anything else, if you eat too many of them you won't lose (and might even gain) weight!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Some of them tasty but, loaded with Sodium so be careful. I have to honest they don't seem to fill you up for long. :smile:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The regular size Lean Cuisines are TINY. I have had weight loss surgery and one lean cuisine is just about the right amount of food for me... AND I'VE HAD 75% OF MY STOMACH SURGICALLY REMOVED! I can't imagine that one Lean Cuisine would keep someone with a normal sized stomach satisfied. I know that before my surgery I would have had to eat three of them to feel like I'd had a meal!
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Ilumi meals instead (order online); they are nutritious and a good but moderate sized portion. Serve with vegetables instead of rice/potatoes to keep calories down. And they last for ages in your cupboard!
  • GoldenGate15
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback. I'm finding it hard to keep my calorie intake in line with my daily allowance and thought this might be a good option. I do worry about the sodium level and I have found that I can get a bit bloated afterward...
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I always add a salad when I have a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones-- it helps fill me up.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love Lean Cuisine! The meals are a convenience, and I often rely on them for lunches during the week while I'm at work. Depending on what your calorie goals are, they might not be filling enough for some folks. I tend to have a small morning and afternoon snack, so a lighter lunch works for me. If you find the calories are too low or you aren't full, add a yogurt or some other "side" to supplement.

I avoid frozen meals that are pasta or bread laden, so my favorites for Lean Cuisine are the ranchero chicken, chile lime chicken, steak portabello, and chicken marsala.

I wouldn't rely on them for every meal, though, but they definitely work as a convenient lunch for me.
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I first began, I used Lean Cuisine at least one meal per day, it was convenient and easy to count my calories, as well as helped with portion size. Eventually I began preparing my own meals once I got a handle on counting calories and portion size. I'd add a salad, fruit or dinner roll with the LC meal as it is very small but adequate if you pair it with something else. If it fit into your macros/calories, is convenient and work for you I see nothing wrong with them. I still buy them when they are on sale and will have a spaghetti w/meatballs tonight paired with garlic bread and a small garden salad.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    They are low in calories but high in sodium. I hate their frozen food meals but I love their breakfast sandwiches.
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat lean cuisine meals twice a week for dinner, and I have been losing weight! The sodium (usually around 500-600 mg) should be okay, unless you have to avoid sodium.

Although some are small, some are filling enough. I find it fun to pick them out every week. If it is too small for you, just add a salad or some vegetables! Best of luck! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like them but I find them way too small. I could cook something much more filling for the calories. Awesome when you have a craving though, as they offer a low calorie alternative.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I usually keep in a few in my freezer as a back-up plan in case I'm really pressed for time, I figure that's better than fast food. I usually add a cup of frozen veggies to "bulk" it up; doubles the volume of food without increasing calories too much.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lean Cuisine is one of several convenient low calorie options that are available. But like anything else, if you eat too many of them you won't lose (and might even gain) weight!
    They don't even come close to filling me up. It's like Slim Fast meal shakes. They didn't fill me either without a scoop of ice cream and a tablespoon of peanut butter blended in... o:)

I suppose if you realize a calorie deficit, any foods will work, but those diet products just never did it for me. I need real food: lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains and raw, whole dairy.
    That's just my take on it.

• kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine occasionally. I'll make some steamed veggies to eat with them bc they're not all that satisfying. Just watch out as most have a ton of sodium and some have very little nutrition.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Some of them tasty but, loaded with Sodium so be careful. I have to honest they don't seem to fill you up for long. :smile:
    They actually have a much lower sodium content than their "non-lean" counterparts, but still not "low."

OP: I eat one nearly every day for lunch Mon-Fri, along with a Greek yogurt. That's enough to fill me up, but you could additionally add a small salad or other veggie to help you feel full without a lot of additional calories. If you like them and find that they're convenient, as I do, then they can be a decent part of your weight loss plan. Calories in versus calories out is the main thing, so if this helps you to stay within your calories, sounds like it could be a good choice.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them myself, but I can see how they would be a good option on those days when a "proper" meal isn't possible. I don't like the taste of them and the portions....I think I'd have to eat 3 to satisfy. Like others have mentioned, watch the sodium.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I use them, they can be an easy way to track but for the most part I have only a few that I like. The meat in them can be gross so I have supplemented my own meat (usually shredded chicken) to the vegetarian pasta ones. My favorites are the butternut squash ravioli, the mushroom mezzaluna (another ravioli), and fettucine alfredo.
    Not sure if you were talking specifically about lean cuisine but I rely on frozen entrees a lot and I think you can look at the options but I am ok with anything 400 cals or fewer for lunch, and a lot of the other options are tastier than the low-cal option. Stouffers meat lasagna, I had today, it was 360 cals, I get the all-natural one. I also like Amy's meals the enchilada and tamale ones are good, also Michael Angelo's makes a baked egg plant parm that seems like a lot of food for the minimal cals, really fills me up, and I also do EVOL burritos, they are local and natural, but found even at walmart freezer section.
    I don't watch sodium. There's only so much one can do and sodium is not really an issue for me.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did Jenny Craig which is all pre-packaged food. I successfully lost weight and kept it off until I got pregnant with my daughter which was about 4 years.

I personally like the healthy choice steamables. They seem more filling to me.
  • slynn1023
    Options
    LauriePar wrote: »
    I always add a salad when I have a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones-- it helps fill me up.

Ditto! I like to do this bc its a super easy lunch. Also fast to grab to take to work.

• Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

this, pretty much. aside from the sodium issue, they aren't too bad, but when I have one I usually have a couple pieces of whole-grain bread to go with it, as the meals themselves are around 300-400 calories each.