Do you Count Calories or Macros?

13»

Replies

• laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    When i was losing weight, calories. Now i'm maintaining and looking to get into lifting, it'll be more macros.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    I try and stay aware of both. If I have calories left to eat for the day I always look at the macros and snack/meal plan accordingly
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    I would just like to point out that even at the low end for all 3 macros you stated are still above the 1250 low end caloric intake. Even if you hit the lowest on all 3 you would be at 1334 cals so I would guess you actually eat 1350+ unless you are under some macros same days you are at the low end on others?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Both...

i aim for about 130g of protein, which is only 30% of my cals, so i dont think you are aiming to get more protein than a lot of people on here.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    If you establish a macros threshold and stick to it, that is essentially a caloric threshold as well. You have a range for each macro, which then gives you a range for your calories per day. You are doing a great job, keep it up!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Both calories and macros. But it's a priority thing and depends on current goals and activities. Every day doesn't have to be the same and I my case often shouldn't be.

Normally it's in the order calories / protein / fat and rest falls where it falls.
    If I'm cycling it's performance / carbs / protein / calories
    If I'm going out (or staying in) for a nice meal then it's enjoyment above all else.

I don't stick to percentages though, I work on minimums for protein and fat wthin a variable daily calorie allowance (eating back exercise calories).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    I only count my calories and carbs and take notice of a few macros that will affect the way my insulin is used. I am a type 1 diabetic, and the distribution of macros helps me to determine whether I need to take my insulin 15-20 minutes early, take my insulin right before eating, or program my insulin pump to give me my meal's insulin over 2 hours.

I tend to pay very close attention to fiber, as it does not play a role in calculating my insulin dosages (I have to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols from my total carbs for the meal).

In regards to fat and protein, I really take notice of them in the events that my meals are low-carb but high-protein (would require me to take insulin for some of the protein), or high-carb but also high-fat (would require me to give my meal's insulin over a few hours). This is typically only for "problem foods" for my post-meal blood sugars, like plain greek yogurt and pizza.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    I have to agree with Mr Knight. Why would you be counting macros if your not counting calories. They go hand in hand.

True, but I think she meant it in the aspect of counting calories without caring what the macros are and counting macros and letting calories match up with the numbers regardless of what it is. There are several foods that give you more calories than what the macros provide so it's not always going to match.

OP, I count my macros and let the calories take care of themselves. Body composition is where it's at, and the macros are what help because as long as they are on point, the calories will fall into place and results will happen.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I track both ….

secondly, you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, as they are opposite processes….

You can if you are a new to lifting (newbie gains) and or you have a significant amount of fat to lose... Outside of those two specific circumstances, you are right... not likely to gain muscle in a deficit.

Oops... sorry, I see you addressed this later in your post. Pays to read the whole thing... :(
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Absolutely this. Fit your macros into your calories.

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    parkscs wrote: »
    jlafowler wrote: »
    I count my macros. As long as my macros are in check Im not too worried about the calories. I am trying to gain muscle and lose fat so I eat a very high amount of protein compared to most.
    P: 122g-170g
    F: 34g-44g
    C: 135g-160g
    Typically my calories are between 1250-1700. This seems to work for me. Lost 10.3% body fat in 10 weeks (34.3%->24%)

I am also with you on the super high protien for muscle building/fat blastingn. On 1400 calories my protein comes in at 141g. So pretty much right in line with your range as well. *hi5*

There's a threshold at which you're getting adequate protein (roughly 0.85g-1.0/lb of lean mass if you're lifting) but beyond that additional protein just contributes to satiety and, well, gassiness. 170g of protein is very high for a healthy lady like the OP, to the point of being absurd. Odds are it won't hurt, unless there's a pre-existing liver/kidney problem, but it's way beyond the amount needed for optimal muscle gains. Even 141g for a woman is pretty high, as I doubt you have 140 pounds of lean mass unless you're well over 6' tall. I wouldn't feel compelled to eat that much chicken or drink that many protein shakes, unless you find it helps with hitting your calorie target.

I have always needed really high amounts of protein and it's best when it comes from red meat. Like I said it's not just about weight. It's just something I need to function properly. I learned that years ago when looking into some other health stuff with doctors. I've always known that my protein intake needs are really high compared to most people, it's just what my body needs. But yes, with weight lifting it does help me retain muscles as well so that's cool.
    But yeah, I'm at 1410 calories and 40% protein which ends up at 141g with all my stats added in. *shrug* Though you'd be supprised just how easily and quickly you can hit that target. Like today, a couple of hamburgers, a bunch of shrimp, a scoop of protein and done.

Are you sure it wasn't iron you needed?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Start with calories once you master that then start worrying about macros. That worked well for me.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I do both. Calories are the more important, but I need to track my carbs to make sure I don't go over what my doctor recommended (I am T2D). I also track my protein to make sure I get a set minimum. I let the fat slide in wherever it fits.

58841349.png
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    No
  • 1985mansfield
    1985mansfield Posts: 9 Member
    I problem I find is that myfitnesspal round numbers up to the nearest next number. This surely means that the macros aren't accurate. I keep my calories in check and then look at macros. As long as Im within 5g of each macro I won't lose any sleep!
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    I count macros, different food have different calories. If your macros are set correctly for you and it is working keep doing it! I find setting a range may be helpful on the macros like 125-135 grams protein.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    A little bit of both. I am overall more concerned about the caloric intake but I don't want a diet of nothing but carbs. I would be starving and bloated. Gotta have a good balance.
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This. Exactly.