going to try JUDDD starting next week

Options
i'm not going to bore you with *all* the details of my life over the past 2 years, but let's just say that i got pregnant, lost the baby in my 2nd trimester due to chromosomal abnormalities, gained 25 pounds and have yet to lose it. my body has almost literally fallen apart since that pregnancy (it was my 7th)

i am trying to so hard to lose weight and it's just not coming off. i have counted calories, done a low-carb keto diet (lost some but then gained 5 lbs on top of my previous weight) - you name it. i am an intermittent faster (have been for a long time) and came across JUDDD in a post where someone replied to me, so i think i am going to try it starting next Monday.

for anyone who has done it, for how long should i give this to work? i'm thinking a full month?

TFS any information about JUDDD and your experience. :)

***also posted on the board of food & nutrition***

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I really like it. I'd say give it a month before deciding. The book says the first few weeks are the toughest, I think.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the same as the 5:2 diet?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i don't know? perhaps? it's an every-other-day diet where you tailor your calories differently on different days. i need SOMETHING! :smile:

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I really like it. I'd say give it a month before deciding. The book says the first few weeks are the toughest, I think.

should i get the book for sure? i have read some things online but can get the book at the library or buy for my kindle if necessary.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has been doing the JUDDD for awhile. I'll PM her with the link to your thread.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I have a friend who has been doing the JUDDD for awhile. I'll PM her with the link to your thread.

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The low carb friends website has a forum on it. It seems to have a pretty low long term success rate. Being famished every other day just doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun, but I hope you succeed.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm baconslave's friend. I've been doing JUDDD (or really alternate day fasting akin to JUDDD) along with keto since 3/25 of this year. I've lost 66.6 pound altogether.

I didn't buy the Johnson book, but my understanding is that it was helpful. There's so much information out there that I didn't bother. Also, Dr. Varady's book is also popular, but I've not read it.
    Johnson's calculator uses the Harris-Benedict equation for BMR while 5:2 uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation for BMR. I found the Mifflin-St. Jeor to be more like how I burn calories, and before I'd even looked at the 5:2 site, I'd developed my own calculator.

I was doing fasting days (DD for down day) on Tue/Thu/Sat and feeding days (UD for up day) on Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri. This week, I'd changed my macros a bit and started true alternate day fasting (Sun UD, Mon DD, Tue UD, Wed DD, Thu UD, Fri DD.... etc....)
    It's really whatever fits your schedule.

I might also encourage you to look up a good (and active) alternate day fasting group on Facebook for additional information and support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/alternatedayfasting/

Send me a friend request if you wish. I seem to have several friends who are very fasting and keto friendly if you're interested. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Keto! W00T!!! :wink:
    Thanks, Patchy! :heart:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

5:2 is a watered down version. JUDDD is alternating days of 500 calories (or 20% of maintenance, if you want to be a diehard) with days of maintenance level or unrestricted eating. You can do fewer days per week if it's too tough or doesn't work with your life. I've done it the past 7 weeks.

The books are good. Your library probably has one or two. You can get most of the info from the web. I read the Johnson (JUDDD) and Mosley (5:2) books and will read the Krista Farady one as soon as I finish this other book I'm reading.

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    not sure if it works or not but after doing a little research into the supposed action of the diet, it is sketchy to say the least. from what I can tell (please correct me if I am wrong) it is based on the activation of the sirt1 gene. - this is dubious. The sirt1 gene action is not activated or deactivated, it appears to be down graded in insulin resistant cells. If you cells are not insulin resistant that the diet won't do anything, if they are then it still may not do anything because there is no research I can see to back up the brodocs opinion that starving yourself will knock an insulin resistant cell back to normal (although there is some evidence that short sharp shock diets can help insulin processing the mechanism is still not fully understood). Even if there is an effect on the cell there is no research on how quickly the genes action switches on. The biggest problem though is that the genes action is undetermined in humans, the skinny gene seems just a way to make people believe him and give him their money. Sorry . If I am wrong in any of this please post back and correct me - I would need peer reviewed papers to change my mind but there may be some out there :-)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The 500 calories and down days sounds excessive and the fact that a supplement is being on the front page is questionable as well. Do yourself a favor, do some research on rapid fat loss, matabolic adaptation, and body-fat overshooting (this is a big one). Extreme caloric deficits are not good. Granted it is balanced between very high days and almost looks like a quasi body re-comp strategy, but this seems like a bit much. You always try and lose weight on as many calories as possible. Something like 80% of people that lose weight rapidly gain it back and a small percentage of those people experience body-fat overshooting, meaning they gain back more weight than they lost in the first place.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Krista Varady, PhD, is considered the authority and has published many papers on it, though I don't know if she focuses on sirt1 like Johnson does. Mosley doesn't, he talks more about IGF1, or maybe it's the same, I don't know. I'd trust Varady more, given her background. Johnson is a plastic surgeon, Mosley is a journalist with a medical degree.

I don't care if it's got secret genetic or insulin benefits or not. I find the routine an easier way to meet a weekly calorie goal. I don't mind a day of vegetable soup and tiny meals to have pizza and beer the next day. It's no more 'sketchy' than any other IF regimen, I figure.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    PatchEFog wrote: »
    Hi :)

I'm baconslave's friend. I've been doing JUDDD (or really alternate day fasting akin to JUDDD) along with keto since 3/25 of this year. I've lost 66.6 pound altogether.

I didn't buy the Johnson book, but my understanding is that it was helpful. There's so much information out there that I didn't bother. Also, Dr. Varady's book is also popular, but I've not read it.
    Johnson's calculator uses the Harris-Benedict equation for BMR while 5:2 uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation for BMR. I found the Mifflin-St. Jeor to be more like how I burn calories, and before I'd even looked at the 5:2 site, I'd developed my own calculator.

I was doing fasting days (DD for down day) on Tue/Thu/Sat and feeding days (UD for up day) on Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri. This week, I'd changed my macros a bit and started true alternate day fasting (Sun UD, Mon DD, Tue UD, Wed DD, Thu UD, Fri DD.... etc....)
    It's really whatever fits your schedule.

I might also encourage you to look up a good (and active) alternate day fasting group on Facebook for additional information and support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/alternatedayfasting/

Send me a friend request if you wish. I seem to have several friends who are very fasting and keto friendly if you're interested. :)

thanks so much for this info. i really appreciate your input. i have to do something different. i really don't care how "difficult" it is - i was at my goal weight before i got pregnant and for some reason, i am just STUCK. i will lose about 5 lbs, but then gain it back plus more. i am in process of finding out exactly what is going on with my throid (have been to 2 dr's in one week, 3 in the past month!) hope to get results from additional blood work next week. in the meantime, i need to FEEL like i am DOING something PROACTIVE.

• La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Krista Varady, PhD, is considered the authority and has published many papers on it, though I don't know if she focuses on sirt1 like Johnson does. Mosley doesn't, he talks more about IGF1, or maybe it's the same, I don't know. I'd trust Varady more, given her background. Johnson is a plastic surgeon, Mosley is a journalist with a medical degree.

I don't care if it's got secret genetic or insulin benefits or not. I find the routine an easier way to meet a weekly calorie goal. I don't mind a day of vegetable soup and tiny meals to have pizza and beer the next day. It's no more 'sketchy' than any other IF regimen, I figure.

since i already do 18:6 I.F. i am familiar with fasting to some degree. i have BPD and the fasting actually HELPS ME stay balanced emotionally and keeps my meds working VERY WELL> i am only giving my opinion, and i certainly do not have any degrees or know any of the medical terminology, i only know what works for me. even though my weight isn't where i want it to be, psychologically i am healthier than i've ever been.

i don't know anything about genetics or why/how any of it works, as long as it does. it certainly can't hurt to try. i have very high IgE levels and working on finding out more about the autoimmune thyroid disorder i have, and i thought JUDDD would be a great place to start with losing weight. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    QUESTION: when the mifflin st. jeor gives you the calories to eat per day, then do you "eat back" your exercise calories, thus eating more than the amount given? (ex: if it estimates i need to eat 1500 calories to lose 1 lb/week, then i exercise and burn 100 calories, do i then eat 1600 calories?)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yes, the results were promising but two comments based on what I've read of the research.

1. The actual research was for 8 weeks. We don't know what happened to the participants 6 to 12 months out.

2. The study where they compared Alternate day fasting between higher fat / low carb and alternate day fasting low fat, they didn't have a control group. The study should have compared those two groups with a group that was on a more traditional calorie restriction. That's the only way to get true results.

3. A 3rd study I read had a Control group but the control group was not on any weight loss program, they could eat whatever they want. Obviously the test group is going to lose more weight than the Control group. Research looks for results not a self-fulfilling prophecy. So you have a test group that is giving structured meals in a clinical setting for the purpose of losing weight and the a group of test subjects that were no given the same structured meals and could eat whatever they hell they want. Does that sound like a good comparison to you? The 2nd study I read would have been good if they had a more solid control group.

There's a saying that says "You can't manage what you don't measure." None of the studies I read measure the ADF to another weight-loss plan. How do you they know that an ADF plan is any better or worse than something else that isn't as extreme? One study even concluded in saying they need to a larger study to make an conclusive findings.

To be diplomatic here, there seems like there could be promise but is such a plan better than anything else? Is it going to get you where you want faster? Will you keep the weight off long-term? Who knows, there doesn't appear to be enough information to answer these questions yet. It does sound like an interesting concept though.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the '1500 for a lb. a week' from. That sounds like a 7-day eating level. Or it from the calculator here?
    http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

Basically I think you can alternate days of 500 (or 20% of maintenance, if you feel disciplined) with days of maintenance level or more or 'hunger-directed eating' (without logging). Experiment a little.

You can 'eat back' exercise calories, if you want. If you're a believer in the sirt1 thing, he thinks it gets activated from being close to the 20%, though, I think, at least the first few weeks. Not sure I buy in to that part (sirt1). 500 is challenging enough, I think.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    QUESTION: when the mifflin st. jeor gives you the calories to eat per day, then do you "eat back" your exercise calories, thus eating more than the amount given? (ex: if it estimates i need to eat 1500 calories to lose 1 lb/week, then i exercise and burn 100 calories, do i then eat 1600 calories?)

No, you do not "eat-back" exercise calories with that calculation. I believe the calc that requires you to eat-back exercise calories is "NEAT". Either waythe Mifflin model is better. Figure it this way...
    - calculating calorie requirements is an estimation
    - calories in your food is an estimation
    - calorie burn is an estimation

Minimize the variables you can't control and use a formula that doesn't require you to eat-back exercise calories. HRM's can be off by 25%, seems to risky and too stressful to have not only measure and track your food, but also measure and track your exercise too?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the '1500 for a lb. a week' from. That sounds like a 7-day eating level. Or it from the calculator here?
    http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

Basically I think you can alternate days of 500 (or 20% of maintenance, if you feel disciplined) with days of maintenance level or more or 'hunger-directed eating' (without logging). Experiment a little.

You can 'eat back' exercise calories, if you want. If you're a believer in the sirt1 thing, he thinks it gets activated from being close to the 20%, though, I think, at least the first few weeks. Not sure I buy in to that part (sirt1). 500 is challenging enough, I think.

i was giving an example, i hadn't done my calculations to see what my calorie goal should be. i was just wondering about eating back exercise cals :smile: