WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• emitc534
    emitc534 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I'm new to this group. I've been told that I need to be on 1800 calorie and not 1200. My goal is to walked daily. I am not working at this time, I'm not consistent with when I do it. Sometimes it's in the morning or evening. I hope at least by October 31, to have lost 5 lbs.

Esther in NY
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am finally home, in my own house, with my cat in my lap!!!!!! I have sleeping grand kids in the family room, daughter and SIL in her old room. 2 big bags to unpack that I will leave untill later. Sometimes I could get the diary to work on my Ipad and sometimes I couldn't so I just now finished it up. I have to confess that they weren't all good choices especially while driving. Due to road construction and accidents the drive was right at 15 hours. I drive in the car with my husband, daughter and grand kids. With all the stuff the kids need I had very little room for me and my sunburned body! So my body is sore muscles tired. But I am so glad to get home. We had a marvelous time. I will now go into my normal hybernation state which when I am this tired is usually 48 hours straight of sleep. I know I will not be able to catch up the last week of posts. Just hope everyone has been good.

Good night, Joyce, back home in Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    New to this group. I like to think of myself as a young 60, actually I can't believe I am 60. For October my goals are trying to get my health back on track. Had a stress test today and that turned out okay. I have restarted with a weight loss nurse/coach. I will be seeing a counsellor. Going to try for 2 lbs/wk. I have a lot to be thankful for . I want to be the healthiest Grandma possible for my 8 grandbabies. Good night to all.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I survived bareback riding! No hands! I want to do it again. :love: This was a slow motion lesson with no trotting or cantering and no use of my hands, not even to hang on. :noway: Perhaps I’ll get to faster gaits in a future lesson. No injuries happened to me or to the horse. :wink: The lesson was amazing, and not a bit stressful. I used a mounting block to get onto the horse and my teacher led me around the arena for the whole lesson. I sat and felt the motion of the horse, turned many times left & right, lay down on my back with my head on the horse’s rump, and lay down forward with my arms around his neck. I was able to feel how the horse moves, and the rhythm of his steps. I avoided squeezing with my lower legs and managed to balance with just my thighs. One unexpected turn did give me a start and I began to clench with my lower legs, but stopped myself. :bigsmile:

Those of you who are not horse crazy will likely wonder why I’m so excited about this. Those of you who grew up with horses probably did something like this when you were a kid. I guess I’m an old kid. What a treat! :laugh: :heart:

I'm not sure I mentioned this in the past, and know I haven't mentioned it recently. I started this whole weight loss journey because I gave myself bursitis in my left knee during a horseback riding lesson. That was almost exactly two years ago. I was posting, and my knee wasn't up to the task of lifting my chubby self out of the saddle repeatedly for an hour. The good news is that the incident and resulting pain inspired me to do something about my weight. It has taken a lot of time, but is worth every bit of effort. :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good morning friends and new people. Just keep faithfully logging, sticking within the MFP guidelines on calories, weigh everything on a digital scale, never kid yourself, eat back your exercise calories, earn those calories, and miracles will happen.
    If you know you have danger times, like late night snacking, plan for it. Have something low cal ready or leave enough calories. For social occasions I used to say to myself, "Is this something so unusual and delicious that it would be a crime to pass it up?" If it was I would eat it, or eat some of it, and if it wasn't and was just normal stuff then I would say " I know what that tastes like so I don't need to eat it."
    Losing weight is nearly all a matter of mind set. I have found some books helpful. Psychological support from us :smile: or even a professional is an important part of our change of attitude. I could not have done it without this group. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday was great. DGD had her injections, :cry: and DGS played with DH. He got very tired as he hadn't had a nap and had a couple of tantrums. Mainly due to jealousy when DH paid some attention to DGD. All well in the end. The meal DS prepared was oustanding. He especially did a low fat one for me. Grilled asparagus, broccoli, aubergine and zucchini with parmesan shavings and red onions. I will post a photo. Couscous and grilled pepper salad. And bbq onglette steak. Fab! There was carrot cake and a candle for DH. And Turkish rice pudding which we shared. Extraordinary wines. (He was a wine professional) And DH'S present was some special edition bottles of beer from his brewery!
    My present was a karaoke set with microphone and some great, really corny karaoke CDs. :laugh:Can't wait for the next party! :laugh:
    DDIL said she wanted to come to us before Christmas this year so we have them from late morning 23rd through to after lunch 24th. Already planning my menus! ! ! !:bigsmile:

Bye for now. Yanniejannie we're going to try the soup this lunchtime.

Heather in damp Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    The soup was nice and would be great for vegans as it has walnuts in it. We have 2nd helpings for tomorrow. Recipe available on The Guardian website by googling, Spicy Tomato Soup with Leeks and Walnuts.
    I didn't add walnuts as a garnish, but the sundried tomatoes are essential. I also used fresh basil as a garnish.
    Going to calculate my cals now. I didn't eat any bread with it. o:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    5l1c850elakr.jpg

A rather blurry photo of the grilled vegetable dish my DS made for us. Behind that is the coucous with grilled red and yellow peppers and the steak, chorizo and morcilla is at the far end. He did all this after cycling home from work in East London up to North London. The grilling took him an hour! ! !, <3 (*) <3 (*)
  • Cindylouhu2
    Cindylouhu2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been looking over some of the comments on this blog, it sounds so motivating! Count me in to this group, I finally feel I have found a place where I belong.
  • JackieMM6
    JackieMM6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever post before and after pics here? I'd love to see them. It would be encouraging.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.
    I took Bodi for a walk this morning. He did pretty good but I could tell he was getting tired when he started to fall down a lot. He was happy to be home. DH took Ritter for a much longer walk. Yesterday was just not an up day. Today is better. DH and I are working together on the cardboard clutter in the garage. One thing about shopping on line is that you sure do accumulate boxes. :grumble:

Katla your bareback adventure sounds wonderful. I don't ride much anymore but we try to on every vacation we take.

Take care all,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter,
    Blustery PNW
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's such a beautiful day here! Temps in the 60's. Sunshine out the wazoo! We are packing up to go to the lake this afternoon, and hubby went to the store to get some stuff we needed. I made a list. He just called to say they are having a big sale, so he's going to get some other stuff too. Not very specific. Oh joy. Husbands should be required to have a permission slip from their wives to do shopping. At the register the clerk would say, "I'm sorry sir, this item was not on your approved list."

I was just looking through my list of "friends" and noticed several who have not logged in in several months. I feel bad that I didn't notice before now. Remember CritterSue? She hasn't logged in in four months. I'm such a bad friend!

Robin, I'm glad Bodi got to walk some. I'm sure he enjoyed it.

The joke of the day yesterday:

:)

A rapist, a gangster and a murderer are in the same car...

Who is driving the car?

A police officer!

:D

Have a great Saturday!

Sylvia

• wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Pretty new here. Just started logging a week ago. I am 53, lost 50 lbs on my own and am down to that last, pesky 15 lbs. So I decided to get some support and motivation from some folks in the same position. Losing weight after 50 is a bear but I have been doing it. Lots and lots of walking. I am lifting free weights and doing yoga too. I gave up drinking anything but water, coffee, tea or juice. As soon as I ditched the booze and soda I lost 15 lbs without much effort at all. I had NO idea I was drinking SO many calories! Anyway, I lost a pound this week. Yay me! And yay you guys! Keep up the good work!
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh and my biggest goal is to mentally prepare myself for the holidays so that I don't screw all of this lovely progress up. I am Wendy from Kansas City. Peace!
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.. I'm Karen. I'm 49.. I just started cutting calories for the first time by counting how much everything is I'm consuming. For October I'm shooting for an hour of exercise a day with the diet shift. Goal-by Dec. 7th I want to be down two dress sizes for a black tie event. Since March with aggressive exercise I've lost very little but feeling very light already with Fitnesspal's help figuring out the calories, what to eat /what not to eat. I'm from Fairfax, VA. USA
  • BigMuscles53
    BigMuscles53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello all lovely ladies! My name is Lyza, aka Big Muscles53, I am 61, and I have lost 20 pounds since I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in August. It hasn't been easy, but the encouragement of reading how everyone else is fighting to get healthier and being honest with themselves is very motivating. A week after I was diagnosed with diabetes I got a sonogram report that I had a large ovarian cyst, discovered because I'd pestered my doctor into ordering tests since my sister had uterine cancer...long story short, total hysterectomy, the cancer was well contained, encapsulated, no signs of metastasis but still I am opting for 6 cycles of chemotherapy, commencing in two weeks. My goal will be to continue to eat well, keep moving and motivated, stay healthy despite side effects, and come out of this with more compassion for those who suffer and appreciation for what I have. Bottom line - if there is cancer in your family pester your doc to get tests, especially as you get older. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello chicas (borrowed from Allison, haha), I just wanted to mention a book I use from time to time, called "Small-Batch Baking", by Debby Maugans Nakos. It's mostly sweet stuff, but there are some rolls etc. in there.

Katla, sounds like your lesson was good. Did you do the thing where you touch your right toes with your left hand and vice versa?

Robin, do you have (or need) one of those harness things for Bodi, so you can support him when he is getting tired?

Michele, ah, I get the hay/straw thing now. Sounds like good advice to take straw. I've never seen hay in gardens; maybe those seeds are the reason.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Another post cut in 1/2.......Grrrr

Good afternoon,all.House is clean,no special plans today.DH loves football wk-ends,he is such a fan.
    We might see frost ........

Yesterday was a late lunch in an Amish restaurant.Wasn't planned,but I am doing better in choosing food that will work for me in fat,calories etc, when there is no chance to see the menu ahead.The waitress was helpful,bring a sample of their turkey chili.It was beyond ��spicy,so had veggie soup ....yummy ��.Salad bar was sliced cucumbers,broccoli,cottage cheese,hard boiled egg & no dressing.

Brought home an apple fritter.......ate 1/2 last eve ,will have the rest today.They are high cal for sure & worth every bite!!

DH has Dr appt Mon with family Dr. I need to get mammo appt.Hope
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hello :-) I was wondering if I might join? I'm 50-something, in the UK, and need to lose about 60 lbs, which is going very slowly :neutral_face:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cynthia: I touched the horse’s tail and ears with the right hand and then the left hand by stretching my arms straight out to the side and twisting each way at the waist. I think I’d have ended up with my head planted in the dirt of the arena if I’d tried touching my own toes with the opposite hand. Maybe I didn’t understand your question correctly. I also rode for a while with my arms stretched out to the sides like a little kid pretending to be an airplane. :bigsmile:

MrsMizart and other newbies: Welcome! This is a multinational bunch of the nicest women in the world. We have members from the UK, Canada, the US, Australia & Tasmania. The weight comes off slowly if you do things right. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Good joke! :flowerforyou:

Going off to play with DH. We plan to go to the Pumpkin Patch on Sauvies Island and just meander. We usually have a great time. Once we got there when the French Bulldog Club was there with their dogs in Halloween costumes. My favorite was the “French Maid.” :bigsmile: :laugh:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Well I survived I guess and woke up just a bit sore and my right knee hurts. DD#2 and I went and got our hair cut then went shopping for DD#1’s baby shower. That was pretty fun although it was a bit overwhelming! Not ever having babies I was befuddled! I kept asking all these other ladies what to buy, what they liked or their babies liked, and that kind of stuff. I must admit the baby’s clothes are cute. I’m trying to have a better attitude about this. However I have noticed that she only contacts us because she wants something, and true to form, she texted DH this afternoon wanting him to come help her find her car title.
    Michele: you are still having hot flashes? I thought you were over them by now. Thank goodness mine aren’t too bad.
    Joyce: glad you are back home. A cat in the lap is always good
    Katla: the bareback riding sounds grand. I am not a horse-y person, but I have several friends who own horses so I know how exciting that can be!
    Heather: aubergine is eggplant to us yanks, right? We have eggplant rigatoni on the menu this week. I love it Oh, yes now that I see the photo, it does look great!
    Robin: sounds like Bodi is doing pretty well and I am glad, although I wish he didn’t fall down…I wish I didn’t either LOL
    Sylvia: I was just thinking of Critter Sue and PetalsandPaws just yesterday. Jill Fenner hasn’t been here in months either but when I get on Hotmail I see that she is on messenger. I’d send her a message but I feel like a stalker!
    Wendy from KC: Go Royals. OK I used to be a fan until they traded Bret Saberhagen away ….ok that really dates me. Welcome!
    Other newbies: Welcome to you all too. Keep coming back and let us get to know you.
    OK I’m out. We are having dinner with friends and going to their house to play cards. This week and next are full of eating out so I can only hope to maintain then it totally settles down. Take care, stiff meg from Omaha