WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much Margaret and Heather for the :star: tip. Just tried it and voila. :smiley:

:tired_face: [/s] I'm brain dead today after a full day of strategic planning for a nonprofit where I serve on the board. Did have a nice NSV -- had to return a pair of dress trousers I bought in August because the waist was at least 2 inches too big (thankfully, I had not worn them because I was saving them for a big event this month.) I now fit into a size 10. I think I was in 5th grade last time I owned something in this size.

Now if could just release the final pound I picked up on my September travels. :neutral_face: This Sunday I will start masters swim at my local community center. Feeling the need to add some variety to my regular indoor regime.

Good luck to everyone on your journey to health and happiness. Stay well. Stay strong.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    :agree: :lol::heart: :open_mouth::sunglasses:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Bed soon, late night last night again. Nothing much went on today--made a pot of ham and bean soup and took a container to Gin for her DH. She's not eating anything solid just liquids at this point and sleeps a lot, the pain med sedates her. She's not doing well, but woke up and carried on a little conversation while I was there, only stayed about a half hour. Heartbreaking. Lung cancer sucks big time.

Went to Trader Joe's on the way home and picked up some pumpkin yogurt and pumpkin cream cheese that DD wanted. She announced tonight that she's getting a cold---of course, she always shares them. Just what I need, almost done in by the one she gave me back in August when we were camping.

Tomorrow I'll be promoting the specialized police group I volunteer for outside a K Mart from 10a to 2pm..........raffles, donations, that sort of thing......supposed to rain.......sounding less and less like something I want to do but I promised.

Best to everyone, sorry, too done in for any comments tonight.......except......
    Katla, please, a photo in your fuchsia helmet, pretty please???????

yanniejannie.........off to bed......sweet dreams, all
    mid-Atlantic

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Took my aluminum to the Humane Society and then did an hour of the deep water class. Then stopped at Bi-Lo to get items that were on sale, then needed to get Vince his prescription so went to CVS. They did accept my $3 coupon for the milk so I got milk.

Tomorrow's plan is to do Paul Katemi's ASAP workout DVD (weights mostly)

Jan - so glad daughter took the new job. You were wise to stay out of it, but it's good that it's something you approve of. How I WISH I didn't have a weight gain care. How scary dh started that fire!. I hate to admit it, but there have been times when I've overeaten after posting my menu. Oh well...it doesn't happen all that often (at least that's what I tell myself). CVS emailed me a $3 off coupon and I looked because on most of their coupons there's a list of things that are excluded and milk is usually one of them, but that exclusion isn't on this coupon. We'll see if it works as I'll go there later this morning

Mary - is this course you're taking at your local college?

Sylvia - safe travels

Beth - wow! The winds get so bad that they lift concrete blocks! That's some forceful wind there

Lesley - good luck to your dh on his new job. Boy, those are some hours!

chickmelion - welcome! Love your saying

Carol - that's interesting what the lawyer told you. Listen to him. Hope your daughter is better

katla - hope your lesson is all you hope it to be

Robin - you sound so much better. It can only go up from here

Vicki - the thing I like about the change, too, is that it takes you right to your last post. Something positive came out of this. Happy birthday to you gs

jane - sorry about your friend.

Debmal - welcome. Calgary???

Just got back from ushering at the Green Room. They were putting on The Diary of Ann Frank. Even tho I knew the outcome, it was VERY moving. Vince and I are going to see it Sunday.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,350 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well ladies, it's time for MY confession.
    Last night I stayed up much too late researching restaurants in Brighton. Not a good idea near to midnight. Went to bed; could not sleep, of course. :tongue: So I took myself off to the spare room to read. In the cupboard was my box of Quest bars that I had bought for my holiday emergency food. You all know the rest. :embarassed:
    Two bars later I looked at the clock. It was well gone midnight, so I resolved to add it to today's food. I will have to be extra vigilant today.
    This morning I did some extra cardio so have worked off 619 calories to get me off to a good start.

I woke up at 3 am with horrible hot sweats and drenched the bed, but I have got a bit more energy this morning. Don't feel so blah.

Meg - glad you made your way back to us. I'm sure there are still some of the gang out there lost in the mist. :laugh:

Beth - lovely to be able to see your family! :flowerforyou: You have so much to deal with. What emotional support do you get? You are beautiful.

Michele - I feel for you with the pool shutting. I have to destroy my geraniums this weekend and plant bulbs. Summer is well over now. We had thunder keeping us awake last night.

Sylvia - you are so right about the sharing. Because I have shared my Quest bar fiasco I feel I wont do it again. I have now moved them into our bedroom and out of sight so I can't do night time binges. :embarassed:

Still have my admin things to do like passport and taxes. :ohwell: I am the world's best procrastinator. :laugh:

Bye for now, my friends. Heather in showery Hampshire UK

27681614.png

PS Michele - I once was cast as Anne Frank for a theatre production. I was 15. In the end they didn't do the play. It is a book my mother gave me to read as a very young girl. We went to the house in Amsterdam. Deborah Moggach, my friend who wrote books that I have mentioned before, wrote a wonderful TV play adaptation.
    My mother was very keen on heroine stories - she also gave me Helen Keller. :love:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    a quick good morning ladies
    sorry i didnt check in last night, the DH got home around 5;30 and was cranky because of the traffic and of course very tired.. he drove 2 very long full days from Florida and was barking at me as soon as he got in, so i just sorta stayed quiet.. since he wasnt supposed to be home until this afternoon I made plans, I will share with you later.. what happened to all our emecons? and how do you repost the darn ticker.. this whole new format is horrible
    sorry I havent been keeping up will try and be more dilligent..and sorry for my spelling.. ;)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's 6am and I'm sitting on the bed at the hotel, in the dark, listening to my friends sleep (snore). There is a train somewhere nearby. I've heard that whistle at least four times during the night. So, I didn't get much sleep. I got up at 5:45 and took my shower while everyone else slept. We have four people in this room who will need to get up and showered, so I figured it would help for me to get done early.

One of the people sharing this room is a man, which seems awkward. He's sleeping on the floor. He's the ceramics professor from the college in Joplin, and he's been in our little group of friends for years. He's single, and about 15 years younger than the rest of us. When I told hubby that Frank was going to sleep in our room, he was a little concerned. He wanted me to get my own room, but the hotels are all full, so he finally said ok. Hubby was visualizing Frank walking around in his underwear, like hubby does, but of course that hasn't happened.

This morning we are going to the farmers market before the symposium starts at 9:00. They have a great farmers market here. The symposium goes till 5:00, then we will head for home.

Yesterday I did ok food wise. For lunch I had a half salad at a place called Ingredients. You get to choose just what you want on your salad. Mine had grilled chicken, Swiss cheese, strawberries and mandarin oranges. And half was still huge! For dinner I got a roast turkey sandwich with red grapes instead of fries. So, I did eat some bread, which I normally avoid, but otherwise did well. No snacks or dessert.

They have a breakfast bar here in the hotel, but I brought my own fiber cereal and a banana so I'm just hoping for skim milk. I also brought two pieces of turkey breakfast sausage which is in the little refrigerator. And I have hard boiled eggs too, just in case.

It's so much fun to go to these things with my friends. We walked all over downtown after the symposium yesterday, and the rain had stopped, so I even got my 10,000 steps for the day. We laugh a lot, gossip a little, and just enjoy each other's company. I'm enjoying the symposium too, and have picked up some ideas to try in my own studio.

I hope you are all having a great day too!

Sylvia
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Not sure about the new format. It takes me a while to figure out anything having to do with computers, so am feeling a bit challenged. I will figure it all out. Thanks to all who are posting tips.

I am still trying to get into a rhythm since retiring. I have been so busy. Don't know how I ever held down a demanding full-time job!!

I am facing the same challenge as many of you with the evening snack attacks. Will spend some time today trying to research some ideas to deal with this. If I find anything useful, I will post them.

Welcome to all who are new here. I don't post often, but read all posts each day. I guess that's partly due to my introvert personality. Would like to give back some of the motivation, support, and encouragement that I get from all of you so am making that one of my goals.

October goals:
    Log every day
    Exercise 60 minutes each day
    Weight-lifting 2 days/week
    Post responses at least twice a week

Deb A in CNY
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm going to a cooking class this afternoon. My daughter-in-law set this up for us. She just joined our family in May so we are having fun establishing a friendship. I have no idea what we will be cooking. The restaurant has a spanish name. But we each get 2 glasses of wine! I think my son will have to gather us up and drive us home! :D

Had to skip my walk in the mangroves this morning; an old ankle injury flared up. But I really enjoyed getting back into the weight training yesterday. I have committed to doing this 3 x a week.

Carol - The house decision is so difficult, I know, but I am so glad you were buoyed by the advice of attorney. You will overcome this in no time!

MNMargaret - Sending thoughts of contentment your way. I'm still looking for a used copy of the Wild Side book.

Cynthia - Nice picture of the remodeled room. I feels so good to have everything new!

Katla - I read your advice to Cynthia and it spoke to me, too. Got to get the mojo back by transforming the thinking.

Jane - sending hugs your way.

Lesley - nice burn!

Exermom - my course is sponsored by the college but it's primarily for adults. The goal is to train folks who will then share their knowledge about the environment with others by volunteering.

Sylvia - It sounds like you are having a wonderful tie and doing so well with your eating plan! Great job!

Deb A - Please do post any ideas for avoiding the evening snack attacks. Really need that, especially with the Halloween candy in the house right now.

Best to all,
    Mary in south Florida
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

:drinker:

Welcome newcomers. :flowerforyou:

I agree with Mary and Deb about the attack of the evening munchies. Another thing I sometimes have problems with in the evening laying down on the couch after a day of working and not moving. Sometimes I even fall asleep and then that disrupts my sleep at night. I am working on the goal of all electronics off by 9:00 and then bed by 10:00. I think being tired in the evening contributes to my snack attacks.

Mary I am reading my copy of Eating on the Wild Side on my Kindle. It is a borrowed book from our library system. This is one I will buy the Kindle version. It will make it easier to take to the grocery store with me. As I said she does at the end of each section give a quick review of what to look for. She does sometimes recommend specific varieties of fruits and veggies. Stores at not always good about telling you what variety it is, but if you shop at farmers markets they should be more knowledgeable about what variety they planted. I also like history and she does relate some interesting facts as to how current produce came to be. One food I am going to try that I would have never thought of is purple potatoes. When I was at our local food co-op the other day I saw them and she recommended them. I'll have to let you know how they taste.

Today I will work on staying more active in the evening and making an effort to go to bed by 10:00.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good morning, happy, rainy Sat.
    Housework, making soup, doing aerobics. I took a bit of a fall in the garden yesterday, my feet got tangled in the berry vines as I was tromping around, pruning and yanking vines from the hedge. My left hip is a tad sore, but I'll be ok. Had a good eating day yesterday, back on track, whittling down the food intake, upping the activity. It's as simple as that, right?

Oh, Katla, the photo of the dogs was taken last weekend at Rockaway Beach. If you click on the pic, it's supposed to enlarge, opening in a new window. Might have to wait a sec for it to load up.

I'd better get going, geez, I could sit here all morning. Wishing everyone a good day, and a great weekend!

jb in drippy Portland (moving away from Porkerville) :laugh:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just a hi, still feeling grateful for all the hugs, good ideas and sympathy. Just goes to show you: let it out and you could get a lot in return.
    Slow day today. I can't get the furniture back into my office room on my own, so will clean shelves etc. and wait till tomorrow when my guy is here again and we can do it together.

DeeDee: the blisters are finally going down. I'd had the freezing before, but never got blisters, just a grayish top layer of skin that eventually fell off. So you can imagine my surprise when I had a bean-sized blister hanging off my jawline! Not amused.

Oh well.
    Hope everybody has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Thank you all for the lovely comments about my posted photo. I love my boys to distraction.

As for support ... I have a wonderful husband (missing from photo) who is my best friend. Without him, I would have fallen apart long ago. I have a very small group of girlfriends (recently eliminated the two church witches!! :wink:) I can call who would help me in a heartbeat and who love to get together to just talk. And I depend heavily on my faith. Lastly, I have come to LOVE all of you! Sometimes, just letting you all know that a day was rough ... helps.

Carol ... glad you're feeling some relief about the house.
    Jan ... I watched a beloved family member die from lung cancer... evil disease. Do not share daughter's germs!
    Sylvia ... you are doing great with your food choices. Bravo!
    Joyce ... we had one of those days with my husband's doctor and pharmacy! Sheesh. Hope your daughter feels better soon.
    Katla... I'm with Jan ... want to see pic of pink helmet.
    Michele ... we live on a hill ... first significant elevation east of Lake Erie in Buffalo ... not far from ski country ... it snows horizontally here!
    Margaret ...I'm going to read that book ...interesting.
    Heather ... would the late snack have caused the hot flashes? I can't eat too much late or my sleep is disrupted.

Well, I have some yard work I want to attend to and then my boys want to go shopping for their dad's birthday on Monday. Ate with reckless abandon yesterday, so watching it today ...

Have a great day!
    Beth

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.The wake was nice,a nice sermon.Was good to see people I haven`t seen in awhile.They had a pot luck ,so we stayed for it and sat with some good friends.
    My girlfriend with the cancer,had emergency surgery to drain fluid in her lung.She is in ICU.Not out of the woods yet,but doing better.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Margaret: I’d love to find the old icons because they are so much better. I hope I’m able to find them. I’ve had the purple potatoes and like them. They turn the cooking water blue. :'(

Kim in N CA: I found the bookmark feature at the top of this page. If you click on the star it will enable you to get back to where you left off. You have to remember to click the star when you complete your post. I’ve always wished I had a sister, or a brother. I know women who have sisters they are close to, and women whose sisters have become strangers to them. This group is magic. B)

Debmal77: Welcome. I don’t recognize the picture and I’ve no idea where you’re from. I hope you’ll tell. :)

Rori: Congratulations on the smaller pants size! It is proof that you are making progress. :D

Yanniejannie: I don’t have a picture of myself in my helmet yet. I’ll have DH take a photo of me on the horse at my next lesson if he goes, or maybe my instructor. I liked her and she’s teaching me things about horsemanship I’ve never learned before. :D:D:

Heather: Passport taxes? Which reminds me that we need to renew our passports. It does cost us to get a new passport but there are no expenses to pay beyond the fee for the new one. :o

Alison: Margaret found a way to use the old icons. I haven’t seen whether I can do it or not as yet. We’ll know when I try to post this message. Sorry your DH showed up in such a foul mood. :)

Sylvia: I’m glad you’re having a good time at the symposium. I’m sure the ceramics professor will be good. After all, he’s outnumbered 4 to 1. :)

Deb A: I used celery and tea to conquer the evening snack attacks when I started, and sometimes counted out a few almonds, or had a 50 calorie dark chocolate candy. I still use those strategies when I need a snack. Retirement is a huge life changer. I hope you’ll come to enjoy it. :)

Mary in South FL: Regarding Halloween candy, I buy individually wrapped candies that don’t exceed 50 calories and keep them in the freezer until Halloween. I give away the leftovers when Halloween is past. I can’t keep out of them if they’re in the house. Reese’s Peanutbutter Cups are too, too tempting. >:)

Beth: It sounds like you have a good support system. I’m happy for you. We have excellent and caring neighbors, who help with life stresses. Our kids pitch in, too, but don’t live nearby. “Church Witches” are the primary reason we worship independently and not with a congregation. :'(

The riding lessons are really horsemanship lessons and I couldn’t be happier with the new teacher. She ran me through some activities to see how much I know and what I need to learn. We started with grooming the horse and working him on a lunge line for a while. I’ve never worked a horse on a lunge line before, and yesterday afternoon was my first try. I could use more practice. I also rode using a western saddle. I needed to lengthen the stirrups to take pressure off my knee and then slipped my feet out of the stirrups altogether. I did fine balancing at first, but had more trouble as I went along. I assume it was simple fatigue. Next week, round pen work and riding with a bareback pad. This is her show horse, so I have to be good to him. This morning I am not sore! I am amazed. I guess I really am getting stronger. <3:heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Why can't I edit after I've posted? Please give us the link where you found the smilie codes. :'(
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Renny - depression is a horrible thing. I suffered with it on and off a lot of my life and now my son has it. He seems to be improving now as I can see he is tweeting again! ! ! ! A family curse. :frowning: I hope you soon turn the corner, which you will. :flowerforyou: quote]

Hi Heather, I wonder if this response was meant for someone else?
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's me, Cat. Woke up "too late" to attend my workout session this morning. Instead, hubby and I are off to do a motorcycle ride around the Mt. Nebo Scenic Loop. Should be beautiful with the changing fall colors.

And plus, whenever my husband accelerates, it engages my core ;)

-Cat
    Wasatch Front in Utah
  • RebelRenny
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather and Renny: What have you done that has improved your depression situation? I take Wellbutrin plus lots of vitamin d3 with calcium. I also added daylight temperature lights all over my house. I haven’t been depressed since I did that combination of things. I need all of them. :)<3

Hi Katla, I think the postings about depression are directed to me by mistake. I am trying to read back through the posts to find out who that person is, but am not successful so far.
    But thanks for your thoughtfulness.
    Renny
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    Hello there lovely ladies.

I haven't had much chance to play with the new MFP format, so today is the day to poke around the website and get up to speed. Still sitting in my jammies and it is already after 10:30 AM. Woohoo. I am looking forward to a nice quiet day after a crazy busy week.

First off, I will attempt to attach a recent picture taken last weekend. Those are two of my grandbabies showing keen interest in what Oma is reading to them. <3

In my next post I want to experiment with getting the ticker back. I liked that feature.

Renny
    from rainy Vancouver Island, BC

gplgtbpkowh7.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Renny darling picture!

Katla To get the old icons you have to use the right word or words between the colons. Example flowerforyou put that between the colons and you get the flowerforyou icon. :flowerforyou:

I found the correct words by going to send a message to a friend. You can still add these to your message. When you put an arrow over it the word or words will appear underneath link explode. :explode: I tried to do wink but it did not work because they have wink in the new lists of icons.

To edit you will see a clog in the upper of your post. You click on the clog and the word edit appears. You need to click on this word it will turn blue and it will tell you how much time you have to edit your post. You get the max time of 60 min. Once this time is up you no longer can edit that post.

:noway: :noway: :tongue:, :mad: :ohwell: :embarassed: :yawn: :sad: :blushing:
    :winking: Wink does not work because they have one with the same spelling with the new icons and the new one trumps the old one. I am seeing what are some of the old icons work.

28257843.png