Shakeology for someone with poor diet, starting to improve health

Options

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Did you mention how tall you are? You're under 100lbs so unless you're super extra short..I really don't know.

If shakeology is going to help you eat more, as you said you aren't hungry, then maybe, though mainly people use it to lose weight from what I've seen.

You mention weight gain like it's this massive thing, but again, you also say you're under 100lbs so I'm really struggling to grasp what's going on. Are you sure you're looking at yourself accurately? Maybe you aren't really gaining "fat" you're just starting to look how you should? I dunno, I don't want to assume so if you could clarify that would be great.

As for the aversions thing, it could be allergies, but negative memory tied to food can be hard to get over. Try something new, I'd say, or speak to a doctor to see if allergies can be ruled out.
  • smallandunhealthy
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Shadowofender:I'm around 4'11 or 5' depending on who measures me. I think my weight is fine, but my stomach, back, and waist area have gotten noticeably thicker. I can definitely feel it in my clothes, since most of my work attire is tailored and slim fitting. Things just feel less comfortable. I could also just very bloated all the time? My chest/arms/shoulders haven't changed too much, maybe less bony, but nothing noticeable. I don't really see a drastic difference in my body, it's more than I think I feel that I'm bigger now.

CoachMigs/kgeyser/newdaydawn: I've always eaten apples and bananas, but not much else. I've never tried the organic or clean fruits/veggies, but there are lots of healthier grocery stores where I live now (there weren't any at home when I was a kid and none at my college). Any recommendations on what stores I should go to?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    jwhited71 wrote: »
    Only thing shakeology will teach you is how to say good bye to your money.

Eat food, learn about nutrition and save your money
    Haha! I like this chick!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Shadowofender:I'm around 4'11 or 5' depending on who measures me. I think my weight is fine, but my stomach, back, and waist area have gotten noticeably thicker. I can definitely feel it in my clothes, since most of my work attire is tailored and slim fitting. Things just feel less comfortable. I could also just very bloated all the time? My chest/arms/shoulders haven't changed too much, maybe less bony, but nothing noticeable. I don't really see a drastic difference in my body, it's more than I think I feel that I'm bigger now.

CoachMigs/kgeyser/newdaydawn: I've always eaten apples and bananas, but not much else. I've never tried the organic or clean fruits/veggies, but there are lots of healthier grocery stores where I live now (there weren't any at home when I was a kid and none at my college). Any recommendations on what stores I should go to?

You should probably look into body recomp. Start a lifting or bodyweight training program. Utilizing weights (free or your own bodyweight) should help you get the body you want to achieve.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a health problem that needs to be addressed so you can eat normally. I would say do a nutritional smoothie in the morning like with yogurt or coconut milk with a egg and a avacado and a banana and a veg. I make my own pumpkin deal. I like nutiva hemp protein powder and you can get your green goodness in a powder and add it in. Add in fats like avacado ( makes it smooth) coconut oil flax oil etc. Add in powdered vitamins. You just may be deficiency in vitamins take b12 or the b family and iron ( the kind that wont constipate) zinc and folic acid. You will start to feel better. Fish oil and vit d3 as well. I was real ill and I was extremely vit deficient due to miscarriages. I hope you find out what it is but it seems like a digestive isdue too.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In for Shakeology being terrible :mrgreen:

tumblr_mqgynjjdag1r5pmtxo1_500.gif
  • smallandunhealthy
    Options
    ^ We'll see if it's actually terrible and not what it's cut out to be. I'm getting it for free from a friend so at least I won't be wasting any money if it turns out to be bad.
  • lunaaasun
    lunaaasun Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's great to see how many people on this forum bash shakeology who probably have never tried it. I am contemplating trying it as well and splitting the cost with my roommates.

Would love to hear advice from people who actually have tried it.

Also OP, I hope you can figure what will work to make you feel better. In my experience anything is better than not eating and only eating junk food. If your shakeology is free, just drink it for however long you think is necessary and see how it makes you feel. If anything, you'll at least be ingesting something more regularly and can get in the habit of eating more than once a day.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    lunaaasun wrote: »
    It's great to see how many people on this forum bash shakeology who probably have never tried it.

Okay, I have tried it as well as other meal replacement powders. The taste is no different, and the nutritional value is no different. The part that is dramatically different.......the cost and imposition on your life. The cost is easily 3-5 times more expensive than a comparably sized bag of anything I can find off the shelf with the same or similar nutritional value. Additionally, buying something off the shelf does not get a Beachbody "Coach" crowbarred into my life.

Is that the kind of advice you were looking for?

• iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use it. I've been a coach in the past and I'm waiting on resigning under a new coach in a few months (already have a new coach so no current coaches, don't ask). Honest review from me: I like it usually with fruit. The only one I don't care for is strawberry plain b/c you can actually taste the vitamins in it. The strawberry in my opinion tastes like a flintstone vitamin. I try to take it as often as I can, but don't always b/c I hate being cold and this time of the year drinking a cold shake isn't appealing to me. I think it's a great place to start, even if you don't take it every day.

FYI, don't mention Shakeology, Beachbody, Healthy eating, Crossfit, running too much, lifting too much or anything relatively healthy in these forums. It's keyword for people to lose their poop. You're only allowed to have an opinion if it falls in line with theirs. >:)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I use it. I've been a coach in the past and I'm waiting on resigning under a new coach in a few months (already have a new coach so no current coaches, don't ask). Honest review from me: I like it usually with fruit. The only one I don't care for is strawberry plain b/c you can actually taste the vitamins in it. The strawberry in my opinion tastes like a flintstone vitamin. I try to take it as often as I can, but don't always b/c I hate being cold and this time of the year drinking a cold shake isn't appealing to me. I think it's a great place to start, even if you don't take it every day.

FYI, don't mention Shakeology, Beachbody, Healthy eating, Crossfit, running too much, lifting too much or anything relatively healthy in these forums. It's keyword for people to lose their poop. You're only allowed to have an opinion if it falls in line with theirs. >:)

How is Shakeology anymore healthy that a regular protein powder? Oh, wait...it must be all those "super foods" packed into it LOL

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Nonsense. This forum is all about healthy eating. Shakeology isn't conducive to a healthy eating regimen. It's a band-aid created by marketers.
    It's unfortunate for you that people don't want you pushing your over-priced substandard protein powder here.
  • smallandunhealthy
    Options
    Thanks to all have who have posted, even though about half was not useful to me.

I'm going to go ahead and use this gift bag of shakeology just to try it out, and we'll see how it goes. I can't picture myself sticking with it even if it's amazing since it's so expensive. Hopefully it helps me get on the right track while I try to figure out my other food issues and try to establish some healthier habits.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's great to see how many people on this forum bash shakeology who probably have never tried it. I am contemplating trying it as well and splitting the cost with my roommates.

Also OP, I hope you can figure what will work to make you feel better. In my experience anything is better than not eating and only eating junk food. If your shakeology is free, just drink it for however long you think is necessary and see how it makes you feel. If anything, you'll at least be ingesting something more regularly and can get in the habit of eating more than once a day.

Uhhh well, Shakeology is a proprietary blend which is incredibly expensive in comparison to many other ways to obtain the nutrients one needs for health and fitness, and is sold as part of a multi-level marketing scheme. If that's not reason enough for you to steer clear of it, despite the insistence of forum-goers who truly have your long-term success at heart (despite being total strangers), then...best of luck to you. :neutral_face:
  • lunaaasun
    lunaaasun Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Uhhh well, Shakeology is a proprietary blend which is incredibly expensive in comparison to many other ways to obtain the nutrients one needs for health and fitness, and is sold as part of a multi-level marketing scheme. If that's not reason enough for you to steer clear of it, despite the insistence of forum-goers who truly have your long-term success at heart (despite being total strangers), then...best of luck to you. :neutral_face:

Thanks, I am comparing options besides shakeology. I'm kinda like the OP and looking for a something that's just better than what I'm doing now. I have my own issues with food, and surprisingly after calculating how much I spend on trying to eat healthy at whole foods, I'm paying even more than what a bag would cost and not getting results.

To OP, I've messaged you to see your opinion on the shake's effects/how it makes you feel since you won't have any money invested in it. Good luck
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks, I am comparing options besides shakeology. I'm kinda like the OP and looking for a something that's just better than what I'm doing now. I have my own issues with food, and surprisingly after calculating how much I spend on trying to eat healthy at whole foods, I'm paying even more than what a bag would cost and not getting results.
    You don't have to buy special foods or from special stores to be healthy, and all you need to lose weight is to eat less.

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I don't need to try $140 toilet paper to know that the 24 pack we buy at the store for 10% of the cost will still get the job done just as well.

• penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your food issues are sensory based. Have you looked into that? Do you still have those issues trying new foods or did they go away as you got older?
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used Shakeology for about 3 months a year or so ago. I only tried it because a couple of friends insisted it was amazing, gave them energy, helped them lose weight etc. So I gave it a try and I believe I gave it a very fair chance. I had at least 1 shake a day and to be honest found some that I thought were very tasty. But I never really noticed a difference in the way I felt and I didn't have any real weight lose that wouldn't have come from eating less anyway.
    Now I occasionally add a protein powder to a veggie/fruit smoothie. I eat more food and I feel better. Everyone is different but for me I would rather save my money and eat real food.
    I see no reason not to try it for a bit if its free, I wish mine had been LOL
    Good Luck to you no matter what you decide.
  • lunaaasun
    Options
    You don't have to buy special foods or from special stores to be healthy, and all you need to lose weight is to eat less.

Like I said, I have a lot of my own food issues and allergies, so I am similar to OP and trying to find things to work. Unlike OP though I want to lose a little bit of weight, but both of us seem to have issues with food.

Personally, I don't eat a lot and am somewhat active, so it's not always as simple as you think :-)